General Stats - Crime

Soresu

Okay. I don't know how we always drag this into the real life definition of murder again but as I said I'm just trying to find out in which conditions the game marks killing a hostile as murder. In real life murder is murder I'm well aware of that, note that I'm trying to avoid unnecessary combat as I'm trying to roleplay a lawful good type character but as we all know it's most of the time is not avoidable. I am just wondering why the game counts some killings as crime and not the all others.

Rule of thumb, anytime you sneak behind an unsuspecting person (even a thief who is not acting as a thief at that moment, just calmly minding his own business), and stab them to death, that's usually considered murder :)

If the guy attacks you and you kill him you're fine. If he's minding his own business, and you see him first and decide to go into sneak mode to kill him, that's murder. That's obviously not a bug.

Edited by mabus4444

Rule of thumb, anytime you sneak behind an unsuspecting person (even a thief who is not acting as a thief at that moment, just calmly minding his own business), and stab them to death, that's usually considered murder :)

If the guy attacks you and you kill him you're fine. If he's minding his own business, and you see him first and decide to go into sneak mode to kill him, that's murder. That's obviously not a bug.

Also noticed this, in the Riverwood I was just on my way to the Blacksmith, and Hired Thugs came at me and draw their swords, I attacked them (before they did BUT they were turned hostile cause their health bars appeared on the screen) with a shout "Marked for Death" while making sure no one else in the village got hit by it, anyway the villagers joined the fight on THEIR side. The whole village started to attack me, even that filthy dog ! I reloaded but this waited them to attack me first, and this time villagers were on my side.

So .. I think even attacking an hostile person before they swing the first blow is considered a crime. Kinda silly if you ask me.

Edited by Soresu

Okay. I don't know how we always drag this into the real life definition of murder again but as I said I'm just trying to find out in which conditions the game marks killing a hostile as murder. In real life murder is murder I'm well aware of that, note that I'm trying to avoid unnecessary combat as I'm trying to roleplay a lawful good type character but as we all know it's most of the time is not avoidable. I am just wondering why the game counts some killings as crime and not the all others.

I am using the game definition. Once again, even if someone is in a cave, and called a bandit, they are not necessarily hostile. Killing first and asking questions later is not good RP'ing for a "good" character.

Do me a favor and spend some time in the game not using sneak attacks and going everywhere with your weapon sheathed. There are a lot of fights that aren't necessary.

Personally my character is "bad", and I don't mind racking up murders and trespasses.

I am using the game definition. Once again, even if someone is in a cave, and called a bandit, they are not necessarily hostile. Killing first and asking questions later is not good RP'ing for a "good" character.

Do me a favor and spend some time in the game not using sneak attacks and going everywhere with your weapon sheathed. There are a lot of fights that aren't necessary.

Personally my character is "bad", and I don't mind racking up murders and trespasses.

I'm not much of a sneak around type actually. Warrior, 1h+Block+Hvy Armor. I prefer to charge in rather than sneaking but there are times I use sneak attacks I can't lie (I brew lots of invisibility poitons :whistling: ) and lately for couple days I'm checking stats screen after every successful sneak attacks they don't count as murders. BUT they (not always though) counts as Assaults. Murder count increases because of something else. My guess is some NPCs are marked as victims possibly because of a BUG in the game. I hope so at least.

Example: I was ambushed by 3 Thalmor agents (they hate my guts) and I defended myself, naturally, killed them. Only 1 among them were counted as murder, even though they had a letter on them giving my death sentence. Now.. Correct me if I'm wrong but killing assassins who are attacking you shouldn't be a crime in the GAME right ? Not talking about RL laws.

Edited by Soresu

I'm not much of a sneak around type actually. Warrior, 1h+Block+Hvy Armor. I prefer to charge in rather than sneaking but there are times I use sneak attacks I can't lie (I brew lots of invisibility poitons :whistling: ) and lately for couple days I'm checking stats screen after every successful sneak attacks they don't count as murders. BUT they (not always though) counts as Assaults. Murder count increases because of something else. My guess is some NPCs are marked as victims possibly because of a BUG in the game. I hope so at least.

Example: I was ambushed by 3 Thalmor agents (they hate my guts) and I defended myself, naturally, killed them. Only 1 among them were counted as murder, even though they had a letter on them giving my death sentence. Now.. Correct me if I'm wrong but killing assassins who are attacking you shouldn't be a crime in the GAME right ? Not talking about RL laws.

You must have a bug, I sneak attack things all the time and I have 0 murders.

Except the Thalmor are operating on the side of the law here. The death sentence against you was legally granted, no? Still weird that one would count as murder and two wouldn't... a bug seems likely, or there's some incredibly bizarre and obscure variable deciding what is and isn't murder. I'm guessing that if it's not already possible, once the CK is out someone tech-savvy could find the technical definitions for murder/assault... unless someone who knows what they're looking for, and where, is already capable of finding out? Would be nice to know.