Armoured Robes - help needed!

Aliceface

Hi! As someone who has always played battlemage type characters I was quite conflicted when playing Skyrim. I did not know whether to wear robes or armour - the robes are stylish and magelike, but the armour is much better and I can put therobe enchantments on the armour anyway. I really felt like I needed some sort of middle ground.

...An armoured robe, perhaps?

Heavy armour is nifty and practical, but no self respecting mage should ever go without a robe. Thus I started designing robe versions of all the armours, both light and heavy.

The problem here is - I am an illustration student hoping to become a concept artist, so I can design them just fine. I have, however, very limited knowledge and skill of 3d modeling - about one semester of Maya lessons at university and a bit of messing around in Nifskope is pretty much it. I decided to start anyway, though, thinking I could learn as I go along.

So, um, I've more or less (need to fix the shoulders) finished the first model, the Dragonbone Robe... This is it:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/Aitze/Dragonrobe.png

I am quite content with the design - simple as it is, just repositioning, I find it works - but I am unable to get it working ingame. Either wearing it turns my character's torso and legs invisible, or the game crashes entirely when I equip it.

I figure it is some sort of problem with the NifSkope Data, but I don't know much about that and how it works - even after spending a couple days looking stuff up and tutorials, it is just so confusing.

This is a screenshot of the data in NifSkope, which I have been trying to get to work by copying and pasting from the basic Dragonbone armour:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r28/Aitze/Nifskopedata.png

I figure it is an issue with the DismemberSkinInstance data, but... that has been giving me nothing but problems. To begin with I usually cant give blocks more than two properties, and then when I copy Dismemberthingy from a vanilla armor the entire armor's mesh is scattered and destroyed. I looked things up and saw things about bones and rigging and other things I barely understood but I don't think I am capable of doing any of that, as I am using Maya 2012 and the NIF plugin isn't up to date? I don't know, nothing I have tried is working.

I'm kind of at a loss here. I was quite excited about this project hoping to adapt a set of armours for battlemage characters but it's looking like I can't do it. Could anyone help?

Edited by Aliceface

If the game is crashing when you equip it then it probably means your TES4 is missing its master file, ive not messed around with armor yet but i know that when the game crashed for me it was because it wasnt drawing the mesh from skyrim.... http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/masterf.jpg/[/img]

I am... not sure what you mean? The mesh was made by altering the dragonplate armor mesh, and I'm testing it by replacing that, so -

might I suggest the idea of a "leather robe"? using textures similar to the leather armour and being a slightly thicker material(scale the mesh up a little).

Well, yes! If this works I'm going to make robe versions of all standard armours, that includes things like leather and iron.

I can't quite tell whats wrong from the pictures, mind if I have a fiddle with the nif file?

Sure, that would be helpful! Um, I am unsure if I am allowed to attach the file here?

...Apparently not, I thought so. I will find some way to upload and send it to you, one moment.

Had the same issue.

And also tried to make a port from a Weapon mesh from Oblivio, but seems that there is quite of a difference in Meshes between Oblivion and Skyrim, in the way that i always get a error message about 2 or 3 Skoplines not right.

And as i don't get it what its trying to tell me, i'm stuck with it...