Cannot start "Blood on Ice" quest

nrot

[Possible Spoilers]

Hello,

I cannot start the quest, "Blood on Ice", because the scene with the dead body never occurs, although townsfolk do occasionally mention the killer. I know its a heavily bugged quest and have already searched the internet for answers and cannot find one for my situation. Here is what I've tried, or potential causes of the bug that don't apply to me:

- I have already entered Windhelm dozens of times (console commands confirm this)

- I have fast traveled to Windhelm from other holds the majority of time (I've already hit the minimum number of entries from other holds).

- I have entered Windhelm, through the front gate, at night, during all hours of the night (before 2:00am, after 2:00am, and exactly at 2:00am)

- I have waited in the graveyard in real time, near the graveyard in real time, and used the wait command, to be there exactly at 2:00am, as well as waited there after 2:00am, as others sites suggest.

- No NPC's have dialog options concerning the killer.

- I have not become a member of the Dark Brotherhood yet (only progressed to have been offered to join).

- None of quest NPC's have been killed.

- I have not stolen the key to hjerim, and have not entered the house.

- I have less than 245 in-game days played

- This quest has never entered my quest journal, I have not made quest progress by accident (console commands confirm this)

- I have tried to use console commands to attempt to force the quest to start, they have not worked. I deleted these saves after using the console commands so they do not corrupt any other aspect of the game.

- I have not used console commands to modify any other quests or aspects of the game (only to confirm status of objectives).

- My character has no bounties on his head, in any holds.

- I'm not running any mods, and have never run any mods for Skyrim

- I have rebooted saves, the game, and my PC, and have tried multiple saves.

I'm aware that sometimes moving forward in the storm cloak quest chain will resolve the issue, but I joined the Empire, so that won't work for me. My character is level 42 and I have over 120 hours invested in him and I'm not willing to start over either, so I need a way to fix the problem on my current character.

If anyone knows of a way to fix this issue given my particular circumstances, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Hello.

Have you got permission from Helgrid to investigate? Once you got the permission, you have to talk to the guard to investigate. The body is in the hall of dead, you must talk to the priestess over there.

If that is not the case then

t

Press ` and type "setstage MS11 50". This will ignore the part where you have to talk to the guard/investigate the body etc. Noting major skipped

Also i dont recommend patching to 1.2, i heard that the patch gave many more bugs to some people.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

Having the same problem as you, the quest won't start even with console commands (believe me I tried with every single console command that modifies quests), also did every possible way could think of to get the quest but it seems as if the quest simply doesn't exist in the game... (though the console "help ms11 4" will give information of the quest, which cannot be started)

there seems to be zero information on how to fix this bug so if you found out how to get the quest on inform...

Same thing happens to me but with some Imperial Legion quests: The quest just wont start!!! Right now Skyrim has some major quest breaking bugs, so heres my advice: wait untill the next patch from bethesda comes out and then see if youre problem is solved, but i wouldnt worry about that particular quest since Ive completed and you dont get anything special about it.......If you want REALLY REALLY to do this quest right now (for some reason) just copy your saves to a folder and unistall the game. Theres no other way around it, some quest scripts are just broken (much because of the Radiant system)

• 2 months later...

Same, here i can hear and knowing people talking about it, and Shatter has lost 2 daughters and his wife, according to the walk through it suppose to be the fourth murder next, but the girl just dont die.

I now the Thane of the windhelm after helping the imperim finished the reble and the related NPCs all alive but just cant get the quest started

Hi nrot,

i'll have the same problem before, look here if u want :

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7551

there is here some tips who help me to do this quest !

3 characters -> 3 start of this quest

read all conditions before !

u alway have the command resetquest if to late!!!

When i've time i'll try to update this tutorial

by including all cases which I could meet.

otherwise pm me a link for a save to see what doesn't work.

sorry for my poor english !

bye ! :thumbsup: