Skyrim Special Edition Mod Questions (About CTD's n Such Problems)

epsi889

Sooooo, I played skyrim back about 10 months ago and really got into getting a lot of mods. But I remembered with the original Skyrim, I had a lot of problems having to delete some mods (due to CTD) and then later on having the game lag from time to time and with random CTD's even after removing the problem causing mods.

So I have been wonderng about a few things for a few days now (Sorry i'm a complete beginner still about mod compatibility), but with SSE coming out as x64 bit and supposedly runs better than the old Skyrim, does that mean the game will have less of these issues regarding lagginess from having like 30 or more mods?

I have about only 40 mods installed for old Skyrim, but had many problems with lagginess still.

But, back when I used to use the lighting overhaul mod, my game would CTD whenever I entered or exited a place, mainly Dragonsreach. I'm still not sure why that problem kept occuring, but removing the mod helped out. So will these types of problems in SSE be removed? Since I'm not sure what causes my game to crash like that during entering/exiting indoors/outdoor places.

Another question is, for computers (or laptops) that don't exactly handle High quality graphics for skyrim well, is it still possible to use mods such as Realistic Lighting Overhaul, Skyrim Flora Overhaul, and graphics enhancing type mods without the game CTD'ing or lagging(idk term for it for singleplayer)? Because I feel like it might overload the game and cause crashes pretty quick :\ But will having for example just a Flora Overhaul, to add more plants and similar mods be a big burden on the gameplay, fps, etc.?

Sorry, one more question! Soooo...I kinda forgot, but when someone says that a mod overloads the cells, what exactly does that mean? Is there a mod to help with crashes that relate to cells?

Thanks! And sorry for the long post, I'm not someone who understands how mods will work/won't work with a game and what causes what types of problems. I only went with the old fashioned way of removing one mod at a time to see what mod causes problems with the old skyrim :\. But recently, I wanted to get back into skyrim after SSE released and hopefully have a completely refreshing feeling with having all the mods I want from the very start of the game (and hopefully no problems with it midgame. Also used to download mods like midgame with old skyrim...I think that caused me some issues xD)

Edited by epsi889

well there is no master - compatible mods list yet unfortunately so it's test and error.

Honestly I'm using... 128 active mods atm. I've had some issues in some specific locations and had to isolate which mod is causing what problem.

A lot of these mods like weather mods, flora mods, texture mods are NOT compatible but that doesn't mean they will instantly crash. Some modify the same assets and you can just choose which mod to use which assets for.

For textures this is mostly okay, but i'm unsure if the same can be said for re-meshing mods like SMIM.

For weather mods I specifically only use compatible ones because I don't know how everything is triggered.

You seem to be approaching it in the same vein as myself, which is the only way.

I'm starting my second playthrough now after my last got corrupted by Open Cities (it's really buggy right now unfortunately, or SEEMS as so, and is barely compatible with most mods that change behavior in cities and... weird things happen) It's a shame as it's one of the more awesome mods in terms of actual immersion for me.

I tried to avoid it by removing open cities, but... I screwed up and even waiting in a dungeon for 30 days caused me to lose over 200 npcs to random world-space errors and deaths.

With this new engine you'll find a lot less lag from "overloading" cells, think JKs Skyrim for example, I couldn't run that with ENB and ETaC on OG. The renderer is much improved, this is to me, the greatest plus. In the end that is what brought me down in the OG.

I would advise to hang around and read the various threads and check the comments sections of the various mods, you can learn quite a bit if you're keen to really get into it :)

well there is no master - compatible mods list yet unfortunately so it's test and error.

Honestly I'm using... 128 active mods atm. I've had some issues in some specific locations and had to isolate which mod is causing what problem.

A lot of these mods like weather mods, flora mods, texture mods are NOT compatible but that doesn't mean they will instantly crash. Some modify the same assets and you can just choose which mod to use which assets for.

For textures this is mostly okay, but i'm unsure if the same can be said for re-meshing mods like SMIM.

For weather mods I specifically only use compatible ones because I don't know how everything is triggered.

You seem to be approaching it in the same vein as myself, which is the only way.

I'm starting my second playthrough now after my last got corrupted by Open Cities (it's really buggy right now unfortunately, or SEEMS as so, and is barely compatible with most mods that change behavior in cities and... weird things happen) It's a shame as it's one of the more awesome mods in terms of actual immersion for me.

I tried to avoid it by removing open cities, but... I screwed up and even waiting in a dungeon for 30 days caused me to lose over 200 npcs to random world-space errors and deaths.

Oooh gotcha! I was thinking about using Open Cities maybe in the future for my 2nd play, but I'm afraid such problems may happen to me too since its a mod that I would love to have, but same time afraid to use incase of corruption.

With this new engine you'll find a lot less lag from "overloading" cells, think JKs Skyrim for example, I couldn't run that with ENB and ETaC on OG. The renderer is much improved, this is to me, the greatest plus. In the end that is what brought me down in the OG.

I would advise to hang around and read the various threads and check the comments sections of the various mods, you can learn quite a bit if you're keen to really get into it :smile:

Thanks SMB! Thats some good info I wanted to hear about cells xD! Was thinking about using JK's Skyrim mod when I looked at them the other day and they do look really beautifully matched for the cities. Though the full version I hope won't eat up FPS like most people say. Maybe the lite version should be better.

Yeah, thats a good idea haha, been looking through the forums to see and learn more about these mods specially when future elder scrolls games come out, definitely will be good experience to have all this info beforehand.

No worries, I will say that JKs will depend on your rig. For example my OG can stand about 6000 draw calls before frame will look to dive, about 8000 I'm at just playable rates (40fps~). With new DX11 renderer, around 16000 before tanking.

No worries, I will say that JKs will depend on your rig. For example my OG can stand about 6000 draw calls before frame will look to dive, about 8000 I'm at just playable rates (40fps~). With new DX11 renderer, around 16000 before tanking.

I see. But how do you know how many cells it can handle? Where do you find the info for it?

Thats draw calls not cells :D. You can view that info in ENB profiler. It's not just limited to draw calls but that is the best indicater for CPU max performance. Also max polys being drawn is a good measure. It is possible to have say 6000 draw calls, but 8 million total polys which for me also equates to borderline playable. This info is not available in F4 or SSE ENB just yet so draw calls is the best tell.

Edit - a "draw call" is the call to render an object, but also for applying effects. So for example there could like 5 draw calls for one object( or more or less), eg a barrel could have different maps and effects plus say shadows etc.

Thats draw calls not cells :D. You can view that info in ENB profiler. It's not just limited to draw calls but that is the best indicater for CPU max performance. Also max polys being drawn is a good measure. It is possible to have say 6000 draw calls, but 8 million total polys which for me also equates to borderline playable. This info is not available in F4 or SSE ENB just yet so draw calls is the best tell.

Edit - a "draw call" is the call to render an object, but also for applying effects. So for example there could like 5 draw calls for one object( or more or less), eg a barrel could have different maps and effects plus say shadows etc.

LOL woops i read calls as cells xD my bad. Oooh ok, thank for the info! :D

• 2 weeks later...