What type of graphics card are you using?

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ASUS HD 4870 1GB DK. I am currently rebuilding my Oblivion mod library so I can't give a definitive review of it's performance in Oblivion until that's all taken care of. To be fair I'm using a 1280x1024 monitor which means the application is more CPU than GPU intensive. Hopefully my little E2140, even at 100% OC can kick some ass.

------

All right so here's an update:

With about 6GB+ of mods, larger texture packs ranging from armors and weapons to extremely long view distances, everything at max and 8x AA, this GFX card yawns and asks for more. Admittedly I'm on a rather small resolution by today's standards, but even with a larger monitor I'd start getting CPU limited before I saw any problems from the GFX. So glad I got this card, highly recommended.

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f126/MCRXxHelenaxXRCM/ASUSHD4870DK.png<3

• 2 weeks later...
Evga 8800 GTS SSC Edition 640MB DDR3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSKLnatJBCE

I made the mistake of getting a PCI-E mobo without 2.0. Still an amazing card though just less bandwidth.

An 8800GTS isn't a high end enough card to push the bandwidth limit on a PCI-E 1.0a slot. You need at least a GTX200 series card to start getting slot bandwidth limited.

I'm still using the tried-and-true GeForce 7800 GTX. It runs Oblivion perfectly, as the 7800 GTX was the highest nVidia GPU designation contained within the list of GPUs that Oblivion will automatically identify.

I made some tweaks with the nVidia Control Panel to accelerate graphics, such as the CPU preparing and queing 8 frames before sending them to the GPU. Fraps shows I'm getting great framerates, so I'm satisfied.

Not only that, but the 7800 GTX doesn't experience the myriad problem posts you see on forum websites. The drivers work quite well: and I eliminated any "Black Screen" possibilities in Oblivion. Since I'm still reading about driver problems with the 8-Series on up, I'm not sold on the idea of upgrading.

I've just ordered a ATI Radeon HD 4890, seems decent enough value at just under £200. My current 512mb HD 3870 is really struggling with all the stuff I've got in game now.

I've just ordered a ATI Radeon HD 4890, seems decent enough value at just under £200. My current 512mb HD 3870 is really struggling with all the stuff I've got in game now.

Sorry to tell you a 4870 1GB would've been a better value. You're paying a higher percentage of price for less percentage of a performance increase, and a 4870 can usually OC to near 4890 speeds.

Sorry to tell you a 4870 1GB would've been a better value. You're paying a higher percentage of price for less percentage of a performance increase, and a 4870 can usually OC to near 4890 speeds.

I don't want to overclock anything, why do that when I don't have to? Anyway the 4890 wasn't that much dearer than the 4870.