Skyrim is crap

csgators

''The whole industry is ridden by the streamlining bug and caters to the lowest common denominator.''

If this were true I wager the gaming industry would save millions of dollars and just do away with hiring voice actors. Text read only games are far cheaper and easier to produce.

Lowest common denominator =/= cheapest to produce. The lowest common denominator would prefer to skip the whole reading part completely (if you are at all familiar with MMOs, think how many people click through quests without even trying to read them, just to get to the "Kill X rats" part).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this were true I wager the gaming industry would save millions of dollars and just do away with hiring voice actors. Text read only games are far cheaper and easier to produce.

The whole thing has to be candy coated after all - even more so for the lowest common denominator, who usally looks at the shiny surface. They do away with development time and effort, which by the way, costs a whole lot more than voice acting. Scripted events without any real choices are much easier on the budget than a forking storyline with consequences and different outcomes.

But as I said, Skyrim is one of the better games coming out this last year. It just doesn't deliver on its promises and no matter how much you polish it with words, it isn't a gem. Right now it's a shooter set in a fantasy world. Which is OK and fun for a while, but as I said, lacks replayability.

I'm also sure that many people don't mind the obvious flaws in storytelling and choices. I do and every opinion voiced in this thread is personal after all.

Lowest common denominator =/= cheapest to produce. The lowest common denominator would prefer to skip the whole reading part completely (if you are at all familiar with MMOs, think how many people click through quests without even trying to read them, just to get to the "Kill X rats" part).

It's not as if you couldn't do that in Skyrim. The pointer takes care of the rest.

Edited by abaris

The whole thing has to be candy coated after all - even more so for the lowest common denominator, who usally looks at the shiny surface. They do away with development time and effort, which by the way, costs a whole lot more than voice acting. Scripted events without any real choices are much easier on the budget than a forking storyline with consequences and different outcomes.

LOL now you just blowing smoke and sound like a bitter Morrowind Fanboy. Voice acting in itself takes a ton of development time. Developers have to go through all the tryouts, make contact with the actors some of whom are overseas, arrange to fly them in, get hotels set up for them and schedule recording time. This of couse does not include the thousands and thousands of pages of dialog they have to go through to ensure they know what voice actor is going to play what role.

Again, if developers really want to dumb the game down and take shortcuts they could just make their game text only as it will save them millions of dollars and development costs and time.

Again, if developers really want to dumb the game down and take shortcuts they could just make their game text only as it will save them millions of dollars and development costs and time.

Well, Mr Development Expert - if you say so.

And as for the Morrowind fanboy - I suggest you actually read what people are posting.

Well, Mr Development Expert - if you say so.

And as for the Morrowind fanboy - I suggest you actually read what people are posting.

I did read it. It's obvious you a Morrowind Fanboy, it's all good man

Really? The game is almost 10 years old. It actually was a setting stone for future Elder Scrolls game. Get passed the dated graphics and combat and play the damn game like the rest of us did 10 years ago. Also, try to get passed your bigotry and you may actually enjoy it. Edited by a7x5631

I think the difference in opinions has more to do with the difference in consumers than anything else, meaning what you are playing the game on. Sorry, but if I bought this game on PS3 I would have returned it. If I had it on XBox, I'm guessing it wouldn't have broken it to the point where I could have finished it; I would have felt like I got my money's worth considering dollars per gameplay hours, but I definitely would have felt that it didn't live up to the hype.

Playing this on pc changes this from a game to a total experience and the very definition of immersion. One word ... mods. All the complaints about the game, some of which I had as well, fully taken care of by the talent of the pc's beloved modding community.

Bear in mind I'm not hating on consoles, this is only the facts people. I've had a PS3 since it came out and I play Skyrim on the pc with my 360 controller.

When I sit back and think about it, it really ends up being 2 different games entirely. Console owners of this game can't: craft arrows or 200+ more weapons/items, have actual grass(vurt's flora), 4096x4096 land textures, HD blood, High res Water textures, different audio and animation mods that all add up to this game exceeding every expectation I had for it, all without the creation kit being out yet.

You don't need some overly expensive rig to achieve this...

Get this game for pc... you'd be doing yourself and the gaming industry a favor. If you don't have a pc, get one. Spend the money you would have on a PS4 or an XBox 720 now and enjoy this and other games like BF3 the way they were meant to be.