Skyrim V Oblivion

Bullybeef

Sorry no contest it's not in the same class as Oblivion. the graphic's as in dragon age look like as if they are from Duke Nuken 10 years ago.

It's all just shades of grey not vibrant and alive as in Oblivion. The people in it move to stiffly and most of the men look the same the ladies

are not very nice to look as the amount of mods trying to get them to look better agrees. I know Oblivion as them as well but in the

main the ladies in game look ok without them. Also in takes to long to move about the world map or open a door.

Am running Skyrim on PC spec all 5.9. The game was a present so cost me nothing am glad to say.

The price of a brand new Skyrim game is now between £22/25 this says it all

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oblivion vs Skyrim? Okay.

Oblivion had longer quest. A big bonus, since the guild actually felt like a guild.

Skyrim got a lot more interesting combat.

Oblivion had a very cool concept, since I love Daedric Princes.

Skyrim got Dragons.

Oblivion had spell making and a solid magic system.

Skyrim actually looks real. Oblivion looked like a unicorn puked a rainbow.

Generally, I like both games. I find Skyrim a little more solid, but lacking in the quest departement.

I've never been as drawn to exploring as in Skyrim though. I only did quests in Oblivion, even with 300 houres into the game.

I'd set Oblivion to 8/10 and Skyrim a 8.5/10.

More than anything it really does come down to personal taste. As I've said before, I don't think anyone is ever likely to agree on the 'best' of the series...nor do we have to.

I loathe Skyrim and I love Oblivion. If Oblivion is rainbows puked by a unicorn, give me more of it! :biggrin:

Nothing about Skyrim is attractive to me. In many ways it feels more like an action game disguised as an RPG. Something about it just doesn't 'click'. (But I'm sure plenty of people feel that way about Oblivion.)

They managed to break everything I loved about Oblivion.

I'm happy that people are enjoying Skyrim...but f*** a duck, I really do hate that infernal game :down:

No comment to "Omg graphic so sucks it's so old omg"

Apart from that, as above, I also think Skyrim seriously lacks in quest area. Feels like all the "guild" quests are simply skipping, starting a story, then cutting the middle and going straight to the end.

But, Skyrim has much more "living" atmosphere, the cities and NPCs in them are much better than in Oblivion.

The colors can make one a bit depressed, but it's supposed to be sub-polar area, it's not supposed to be all sun, warm and beaches I guess. Even tho that would be a nice change.

Totally disagree about look and animation tho. You CAN'T possibly mean that animations and looks of characters in vanilla Skyrim are worse than in vanilla Oblivion. That's just not possible unless you took an arrow to the eye. Eyes actually.

As far as it goes for me, vanilla Skyrim vs vanilla Oblivion ... Skyrim surely wins, even tho it has so many shortcommings. I should note tho, that I found Oblivion to be cool, yet not very interesting game without mods. But comparing Modded Oblivion with vanilla Skyrim would not be fair. That's 5 years of works vs nothing.

Edited by elvinkun

Depending on what you expect, they all suck.

Oblivion's character models were absolute crap. The story, while longer, was rife with cleche. The environment, while pretty, was droll and unimaginative (Except Shivering Isles). The interface was clunky. The leveling was dated. Combat was too easily exploitable. The voice acting was one step above a human rights crime.

Skyrim is virturally monochrome. The lighting is too consistant (AKA unrealistic). The magic system is the pits. Blacksmithing and Enchanting are broken. The voice acting still borders on something you should see at a UN tribunal. The quests are short, and the questlines rushed. Some of the menues are even worse than Oblivion (Items).

Morrowind's quests could be frusteratingly hard. The magic system required you to truck around mountains of magicka potions. Cliff Racers......

That said, they all have advantages too.

Oblivion's magic system was realy first rate. The change in rendering styles was fantastic (Even if i don't like the art direction). Facial expression! The shift to actually hitting and blocking manually.

Skyrim has unique and lore appropriate facial designs. An amazing combat system. Not every cave has a door on it ( :P ). The dated leveling system has been updated into something that, while not polished, has a lot more potential. Some degree of memorable characters again.

Morrowind had an absolutely jaw dropping story. It was truely unique in its environment and art direction. Its characters, to this day, are among the best and most fondly remembered in the franchise.

Skyri, in my mind, is far more authentic in its presentation, both artistically and gameplay wise, than Oblivion ever managed to be. But it lacks the depth of magic first and formost, and that does hurt it for me. But i already sacrificed good characters and epic story telling when i got into Oblivion, so i don't see it as a loss fro Oblivion to Skyrim.

All in all, i'd say they each have their merits. Will i be going back and playing Oblivion again, just like i did with Morrowind? Unlikely. I' even lamenting not playing Knights of the Nine before Skyrim came out, because i don't think i can stand putty faces all over again...

One thing I love about Skyrim over Oblivion is that the caves and locations have more character than they did in Oblivion. Most of them have their own little story, and even ones that don't feel more like places with a history rather than Oblivion's endless collection of rooms and passages.

Also, Skyrim seems to have more side quests given by random people, rather than having the bulk of the quests coming from guilds. This explains the shortness of the guild quests. I don't really see this as a negative, as it gives more incentive to wander around and talk to people in order to get quests.

I played Oblivion for about twenty hours before never touching it again. That game killed itself with the enemy levelling nonsense, by removing any need to, desire for, or sense of progression, growth and achievement. And without those things, why bother playing a time consuming supposed RPG? I went and shot stuff in the face instead. Then got bored of that and played Morrowind, which was better than Oblivion in every way except for graphics. That wasn't difficult though, because Oblivion was pants.

Skyrim has 182 hours of my life and put my semester at risk.

Edited by Khorak

Skyrim just came out, and the creation kit is not out yet. Seems a bit premature to pass judgement just yet. Personally, I'm enjoying Skyrim. Enjoying the mods that people are already putting out. Modders already have their paintbrushes out, prettying (is that a word?) up Skyrim. I think, a lot will depend on the creation kit; how stable is it and what will it let us do. Skyrim reminds of Morrowind more so than Oblivion. Just a different fill. A good fill. Not a better fill than Oblivion, but different.

Seems a bit premature to pass judgement just yet

Eh, not really. We compare the game as it stands, not with mods. Then it is the same with and without a toolkit.

I liked Oblivion better, too. But then again I'm judging it with 5 years worth of modding built into it. I'm sure that Skyrim will be equal to the task once the Creation Kit is released. Patience.

Rabbit