My journey into modding

TheTokenGeek

Hey Paul, if you're still looking to kick up the visuals for Skyrim, you really ought to try K ENB Pure Light by Kyokushinoyama, it's stunningly beautiful. I've never come across an ENB/ReShade for any game that I felt was as well done.

And as far as guides for picking out mods to use, you really gotta check out S.T.E.P. and GEMS. Use S.T.E.P. to make your game better looking and more stable then incrementally add gameplay mods from GEMS to customize your game.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love this. lol, - this is my 34th year gaming and I make no apologies for having a fun life doing what I love. It is always baby steps, my first win, my first fireball, my first sweep, my first pentakill, but it eventually leads to a desire to create. this desire has never died or waned and only further strengthened by this story. Thank you for this. :D

I love the little stories and journeys that modding takes us through.

If it wasn't for modding I would not be alive today.

If it wasn't for modding, I would not have the friends I have today.

Great article!

#modderslife

This was a great read. Thanks for sharing. If you ever find yourself modding Skyrim or Skyrim Special Edition again,I recommend giving "The Forgotten City" a go. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1179/?

Recently I gave it a shot and was amazed. Definitely one of those mods that makes you appreciate the community and the modding scene so much more.

Reading this article was like going back to my modding life in Skyrim. I also started little, one mod, then another, and another, etc. Now I'm having 100+ "essential" mods I cannot play without. I started to play the game like 4years ago, I have lots of hours of play time ( https://gyazo.com/6d781e859ac5629256a08561ea97b67d ), but do you know the craziest thing I just realized?

I NEVER ACTUALLY FINISHED THE MAIN STORY!

Yeap, I played more than 2000 hours, and still haven't actually gotten into making a serious gameplay!

I spend my time on the game trial testing mods, adding one little thing, and watch which impact it has on my game, then, I look for another one, and test again. This is truly addictive!

Skyrim is THE game I couldn't imagine playing unmodded as of now. I did try the Special Edition, but... going back to the Vanilla UI, was just a huge nono to me. So, I think, like many other gamers, I'm waiting patiently to have a working SKSE for Special Edition. Until then, I'm still tinkering and messing in my "good ol' Skyrim".

I also wanted to use this opportunity to give a huge thanks to the modding community of the Nexus, who's just AWESOME, I love you guys (and girls too, I'm not sexist .. xD ).

Thank you for having me on this journey.

"May your road lead you to warm sands" - A random Kajit

Honestly, I've been modding for so long that I've entirely forgotten what Vanilla is like in most of my games!

Then Skyrim Special Edition came out, and I was reintroduced to a mostly-vanilla game again.

I have to say, having never installed visual mods in Skyrim (I never felt the performance impact was worth it), they certainly made it look pretty.

I always love to hear people getting excited about mods, but try to warn them not to get too eager, for risk of destroying their saves by installing with reckless abandon.

Also, Lowered Weapons is nice I guess if you don't care about having your weapon visually ready and the side effects don't bother you, but if you care about any of that in the slightest, you'd probably want Button Lowered Weapons instead, to have control over the effect with none of the downsides, and the added bonus of being completely compatible with anything.

Lowered Weapons is also several game versions behind, having been released shortly after the game was, so there are likely issues there.

@Kalell

"Btw, there is a version of SkyUI that works with SSE. There's no MCM and there's an error message in the corner of the inventory, but I've been using it for a while now and it works fine."

Here you can read how to get rid of the error warning of SkyUI 2.2.

Works perfectly.

Edited by TheGhostface1973

In response to post #44351035.

TheGhostface1973 wrote: @Kalell
"Btw, there is a version of SkyUI that works with SSE. There's no MCM and there's an error message in the corner of the inventory, but I've been using it for a while now and it works fine."

Works perfectly.

Very cool, thank you!

I would second as others have said for anyone new to modding Skyrim to check out the STEP guide, http://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:Guide as it gives a great list and extremely detailed tutorial to enhance the vanilla game. The main STEP guide is a little out of date, and another branch of their guide is the excellent Skyrim Revisited Legendary Edition or SRLE, http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition# SRLE goes beyond STEP a bit by adding in more overhauls and survival mods, as well as extensive texture, audio, and animation enhancements. It is a wonderful resource for both beginners and experts.

In response to post #44351035. #44363725 is also a reply to the same post.

TheGhostface1973 wrote: @Kalell

Works perfectly.
Kalell wrote: Very cool, thank you!

No problem. Hope it helps you.