ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

BodySlide/HDT/BBP body/outfit compatibility confusion

Lombra

Hi,

I love using mods. A little too much, in fact. I just want to find the perfect combination of mods and then never look back, but I end up not being able to make up my mind, or take the time to try them all to find what looks best, so I never feel the peace of mind to begin actually playing. I intend to start over with SE, so obviously it will also take some time before the selection becomes more or less complete.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I'm looking to use mostly graphical mods, and nothing that adds new gameplay or even new items, though I did find a few cool looking armors that I may end up using. I used CBBE in the past, and I intend to use it again once it's been ported to SE, and this is where the confusion starts. As far as I understand I can use BodySlide to create custom bodies and also transform outfits to suit a certain bodyshape, but in order to do so the body or outfit needs to have BodySlide support? How does BodySlide support work? It's not just flipping a switch, is it? Does it perhaps involve something like mapping the BodySlide sliders to certain polygons on the model? And it needs to be made for the correct version fo BodySlide, as well? What happens if it's not? Will it work not at all, or become horribly broken, or just look a little strange?

And not quite in the same category, how does HDT and BBP support work? Both bodies and outfits needs to support them, as far as I understand? (btw, am I right in thinking an outfit is essentially the same as a body?) Does it require a whole new body for the extra bones and whatnot? And how does this tie in with BodySlide, if at all? I don't know that I will use BBP, since I don't intend to play the game in such a way that such things be noticable, but still. :P

Thanks for any and all answers!

"As far as I understand I can use BodySlide to create custom bodies and also transform outfits to suit a certain bodyshape,..."

Correct. With BodySlide, you can make the body and outfits pretty much any (humanoid) shape you want. Severely obese? Sure. Anorexic? If you like. Breasts/butt large enough to have their own gravitational fields? Gods, why...but yes.

"...but in order to do so the body or outfit needs to have BodySlide support?"

Yep. Can't use a mesh in BodySlide if it's not compatible with BodySlide.

"How does BodySlide support work? It's not just flipping a switch, is it?"

No, it's not just flipping a switch. A mod that has BodySlide compatibility is a mod that you will be able to load up in BodySlide and alter with the various sliders.

"Does it perhaps involve something like mapping the BodySlide sliders to certain polygons on the model?"

The easiest way is with Outfit Studio, which is a utility within BodySlide. With it, you can load up a mesh, and create the morphs to make it work with the sliders. There are tutorials in Ousnius' wiki. But, most people never have to bother with that, as there are already a large number of Bodyslide-compatible mods on the CBBE mod list.

"And it needs to be made for the correct version fo BodySlide, as well? What happens if it's not? Will it work not at all, or become horribly broken, or just look a little strange?"

The majority of mods should already be compatible with the latest BodySlide version, but an outfit made for pretty much any version of BodySlide will work for the latest one, even those outfits made for the very first version of BodySlide. The only 'issues' are that the old outfits wont have all the sliders the current version of BodySlide has (because BodySlide started with around twelve sliders, and v2+ has around thirty or more), and the created meshes wont have the various improvements, such as with mesh weighting. There might also be some issues with clipping and such in some cases.

"how does HDT and BBP support work?"

BBP does not have any official support due to how old, redundant, and bad it was, so I'll only refer to HDT. A HDT mesh is one that is rigged to the breasts (and possibly butt/stomach/other parts) 'bones' of the 'skeleton'. The skeleton is what is animated, and the mesh gets pulled along with the animation.

"Both bodies and outfits needs to support them, as far as I understand?"

No, they don't both need to be HDT-compatible. You can just have HDT on the body and not the outfits (or on the outfits but not the body). You can also use HDT outfits without actually having HDT installed as long as you're using XPMSE. Even without HDT, the mesh will still be looking for those extra bones, and will crash the game if it can't find them.

"...am I right in thinking an outfit is essentially the same as a body"

Yup. When you put an outfit on a character, you are replacing the body with that outfit. The only thing the two share are skin textures.

"Does it require a whole new body for the extra bones and whatnot? And how does this tie in with BodySlide, if at all"

The CBBE FAQ does explain it, but...somewhat. You need to use BodySlide to generate HDT-compatible meshes. You need XPMSE as the skeleton (as the vanilla one doesn't have all the extra bones XPMSE has), and you need HDT PE for the animations.

Thanks for the answers!

"And it needs to be made for the correct version fo BodySlide, as well? What happens if it's not? Will it work not at all, or become horribly broken, or just look a little strange?"

The majority of mods should already be compatible with the latest BodySlide version, but an outfit made for pretty much any version of BodySlide will work for the latest one, even those outfits made for the very first version of BodySlide. The only 'issues' are that the old outfits wont have all the sliders the current version of BodySlide has (because BodySlide started with around twelve sliders, and v2+ has around thirty or more), and the created meshes wont have the various improvements, such as with mesh weighting. There might also be some issues with clipping and such in some cases.

Alright. What about v4? No new sliders?

Do/did sliders ever change between versions? Ie would a body made for v1 look the same in v2? (and v4 for that matter) If that makes sense.

I found BodySlide support for a certain mod in the "Various" package of this mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/32731/?

But I'm not sure which BodySlide version this correlates to? If I'm reading the age correctly it seems to be all v2?

As well, that same mod page has a download for vanilla outfits for v2, but on the Caliente's Vanilla Outfits mod page it is stated that they are not planned to get updated (for v2, as I understand it?) any time soon. So I'm a bit confused as to what the deal is there.

Finally, I understand that the CBBE body is used as a bridge for conversion sets, which is the recommendation also for others making conversion sets. What I wonder is whether these sets will somehow become messed up when the CBBE body changes? Would other bodies change as well due to being relative to the CBBE body, or are the values absolute somehow? At this point I don't really know what I'm talking about, but hopefully it makes at least some sense. :P

V4 has the same sliders as v2.

v1-v2 had a large number of sliders added ('CB++'). There have not been any new additions since. There will not be any new additions.

That mod is on the mod list. It is compatible.

CVO is a separate mod. Read my sticky on the CVO mod page.

The 'base' CBBE shape used by BodySlide and Outfit Studio has not changed in years. It will not change for Skyrim.

Ok, thanks.

I've seen your sticky where you recommend some substitute addons, but I'm still not sure where this leaves the CVO file on the BodySlide Outfits and Mods page.

Includes Caliente's Vanilla Outfits for BodySlide 2. Requires original CVO data from Caliente's page.

I don't know how to interpret that if it doesn't imply BodySlide v2 support for CVO.

Edit: Another newbie question. I kind of assumed existing BodySlide conversion sets (I don't know if I'm using that term correctly) for third party outfits would work for SE once CBBE for SE is released, but after reading the sticky on SE BodySlide (or maybe it's all just the same BodySlide tool, Idk) I'm not so sure. Will they?

Edited by Lombra

Ignore that. Just follow what my sticky says. You only need the jewellery and shoes from the CVO page. The other two mods I linked have everything else to replace the vanilla outfits.

The sliders in the 'various' package will work fine. It would be better for you to see if the particular outfit you want is on the BodySlide section of the mod list, though, as the sliders may be better made.

CBBE is getting completely rebuilt. Old outfits and such will work, possibly, but they will not have the same sliders/shape as the new CBBE. Idealy, all outfits will be remade to the new shape/sliders.