Cities in Oblivion were bigger

tharius1

I feel like Bethesda made a big lie to us when they said Skyrim would have much bigger cities than Oblivion had. The Imperial City feels MASSIVE compared to Whiterun and cities like Dawnstar, Winterhold, Falkwreath and Morthal feel small and lacking compared to say Skingrad and Cheydinhal. The only cities I felt impressed by were Solitude and Markarth, every other has been been a huge dissapointment.

Anyone else feel this way? Or am I being mistaken?

Edited by tharius1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its never wise to take anything Bethesda say at face value, at least Peter Molyneuxs misleading statements come from over enthusiasm and not knowing his own limitations, Howard is just a first rate BS merchant.

I don't know, everyone says the cities in Oblivion were better. I really prefer the ones in Skyrim. There's enough people for the size of the cities. :/ Besides, it's the north - not everyone wants to live there, not to mention this is 200 years after what was probably the biggest war in a while.

The cities and towns in Skyrim feel more real. Oblivion's felt...plastic? Almost crowded at times...

Cities in cyrodiil(sp?) are also tourist attractions

Skyrim is a warzone, not too many tourists... as can be seen from the (hold) capitals: winterhold, dawnstar, morthal and falkreath

Speaking of which, why dont those cities have ownable houses? yes I know winterhold has the archmages room, and dawnstar has the dark brotherhood but come on, what if I liked those cities? or if my character was RP'd to be from there, anyway back to city size

Cyrodiil cities were so much different from towns and villages, but in reality a city grows from a town or village as more people come. So the skyrim designs are so much better(just look at whiterun, now THAT's an organic design)

That is of course just my opinion, your welcome to disagree

I don't know if all 9 Holds were intended to feel like cities. The five main Holds where you can buy Houses feel big enough to me to feel like cities. The other 4 Holds feel more like small towns. I would probably download a mod that added more Houses to all of the Holds. Weather large or small, I do like the look of the Holds. They definitely have a strong, Skyrim character to them.

I agree with the OP. Cities and towns are not even big enough to support a proper gene pool, especially if you consider that lack of half-breeds mean there are few interracial marriages. In Elder Scrolls X, cities will be just 1 long row of houses and shops with a guy at the end who says, "I am Error". Edited by gigantibyte

Actually town in Skyrim Are way to small .

They are more guard than Npc ^^

Just remember Vivec , And The Imperial city , it was impressive and you could talk to EVERYONE , of course npc were more static ( Without mod ) , Now i look at solitude ... or windhelm ... O my god even my village IRL is Bigger ( 100 people ) .

Vanilla Oblivion > Vanilla skyrim on this point .

I have to admit that the design of some city like Edor... Erm Whiterun looks very good .