Possible to have MSAA (or similar proper AA) together with ENB?

thestigma

Hey all,

I am struggling to find out how to apply proper SMAA or similar to Skyrim while using ENB.

The postprocess AA in ENB is nice for performance and all - but there are many things those sorts of AA can't fix.

For example, half of the loading screen objects look terrible because some in-model dges are "jittering" during the zoom - completely breaking the illusion for me.

I should have performance to spare on my GTX970 for some basic 2xMSAA at least, but HOW?

It doesn't have to be MSAA specifically. Any proper AA that doesn't rely only on postprocess should be able to fix these sorts of problems, and I am very open to suggestions.

-Stigma

There are a few different approaches that I know about, but I'm behind the times myself and I haven't found any recent, relevant info when trying to see what people are up to.

• There's SweetFX (which includes SMAA) or a separate SMAA dll. Still the best bang for the buck AA.
  • There are a variety of AA options if you use NVIDIA Inspector, but most (all?) aren't compatible with advanced ENB features like SSAO.
  • There's supersampling or downsampling which is the ultimate in both AA and performance hit. This can be configured in ENB or IIRC, NVIDIA Inspector. I haven't tried it for a few years so I don't know which option is best. It looks great, but I decided it wasn't worth the hit.

Here are some comments from enbdev, tapioks near the bottom of the thread talks about some options.

Sorry I don't have more. People seem to have gone quiet about this topic. Also be careful reading random posts, because a lot folks don't seem to understand that they're accidentally turning off major features in order to use NVIDIA Inspector or other options.

There are a few different approaches that I know about, but I'm behind the times myself and I haven't found any recent, relevant info when trying to see what people are up to.

• There's SweetFX (which includes SMAA) or a separate SMAA dll. Still the best bang for the buck AA.
  • There are a variety of AA options if you use NVIDIA Inspector, but most (all?) aren't compatible with advanced ENB features like SSAO.
  • There's supersampling or downsampling which is the ultimate in both AA and performance hit. This can be configured in ENB or IIRC, NVIDIA Inspector. I haven't tried it for a few years so I don't know which option is best. It looks great, but I decided it wasn't worth the hit.

Here are some comments from enbdev, tapioks near the bottom of the thread talks about some options.

Sorry I don't have more. People seem to have gone quiet about this topic. Also be careful reading random posts, because a lot folks don't seem to understand that they're accidentally turning off major features in order to use NVIDIA Inspector or other options.

Yea, after having read up more about - including posts from ENBs author - it I think I have concluded that "real" AA that you do in hardware is just impossible while using ENB (or rather, ENB with all the coolest features enabled). ENB needs deferred rendering to do the best parts of it's magic, and apparently that just can't be done with hardware AA.

So essentially you are stuck with AA types that are post-process based.

That's a shame of course, but post-process AA isn't that bad, and at least it is light on performance.

If I have to choose between fully featured ENB and hardware AA the choice is easy for me (ENB).

Guess I just have to live with it :)

-Stigma

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old...Well, this might be interesting.. or not... However, I am successfully able to use Deferred Rendering WITH 4X MSAA + 4X SGSSAA + Skyrim FXAA + ENB's Edge AA & Sub Pixel AA.

I should note that some features DO become disabled.. But those features aren't why I wanted Deferred Rendering...

I wanted Mist (Z fighting), and reflections... I originally thought they weren't compatible based on what I had read.. However I found out (through curiosity) that many of the features work anyways if you turn them on with whatever AA you use, and Deferred Rendering..

*I have all settings under SSAO turned OFF*

I took Fog Veil ENB, and frankensteined some of the files with Vividian Weathers + ELFX, Purity, and Vivid Clouds & Fog...

FPS stays pretty strong at 45-60 FPS.. I bottom out at 35fps (for a split second) in Solitude with Solitude expansion mod... Interiors are 60 fps (limited to 58/59 through inspector)

That being said, I am not sure exactly what is incompatible.. Other than the fact that every time I load the game I have to manually load the ENB files via the GUI.. Otherwise particles, and lights, and some meshes won't appear.. And when I make a tweak to my ENB or a weather and save it; I have to re-enable Mist, reflections, Subsurface scattering, Ambient Occlusion etc...

Anywho It works for me, and DAMN does it look Purty.. :smile:

I will post some screenshots soon.

Edited by Metchis