Glowing Dust and Particles

Jeoshua

So I'm trying to make New Vegas look as good as possible, right? I have this issue tho... see here:

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/9364/screenshot1217.png

This glowing dust occurs for smoke, sand storms, dust, mist, and generally any of the hanging static stuff lying around the game. It looks absolutely horrible! It's not radioactive, there are no lights on it, and it's not a mod doing it as it persists for me with the vanilla files and no engine tweaks such as FXAA or 4GB enabled.

I have tracked the issue down to one of the nodes in the Nif file: BSShaderNoLighting. Any of my attempts to modify or replace this entry either cause the mesh to disappear or to glitch.

How can I make these meshes not glow? It is incredibly unrealistic and I'd like to be able to remove it, somehow, without removing the meshes entirely.

Not that I can tell, anyways. The specular color is set at 1.0 but the same can be said for many objects that do not glow. It's ambient is 1.0 but as you can see in the night picture above there is no ambient light. And the emissive is set to 0.0 as far as I can see.

The one pictured is the dust storm at Ivanpah Race Track.

I'm playing the game trying to find a non-glowing piece of dust which I can compare the files against, to see how it' really supposed to be done... but as I mentioned it seems the dust and mist and even smoke (which really should be just black) seems to do it, too.

Hmm I think for NiMaterialColorController blocks, Target Color can be set to TC_Self_Illum and it will be lit regardless of lighting. The flags for that block might also be set to active with emissive flagged. NiMaterialProperty block can be set to emissive. An obvious one but does it have a glowmap _g.dds file? Hehe, j/k, you checked that already.... didn't ya ;)

All I can think of at the moment...

EDIT:

Which nif?

meshes\effects\ambient\fxdustwhirlwind01.nif

meshes\effects\ambient\fxdustmeshsky01.nif

meshes\effects\ambient\fxdustmeshtube01.nif

something else?

The meshes specifically that I'm looking at right now are:

meshes\effects\nv\nvlimestoneduststorm.nif

meshes\effects\nv\nvlimestoneduststormhalfvis.nif

meshes\effects\nv\nvlimestoneduststormnight.nif

Thing is there IS that night mesh, but it's seemingly never switched out. And it looks much worse than the other one, no matter the lighting conditions, which is probably the reason why.

The meshes seem to respond properly to lighting in NIFskope, but in game they just... glow like that, no matter what light is really out there.

Ambient Color is set to pure white

Diffuse Color is set to pure white

Emissive Color is set to pure black

Specular Color is set to pure black

Emit Multi is set to 1

All texturing properties say "No" to every texture type except the base texture.

The only thing that I can see which does anything non-standard to lighting is the BSShaderNoLighting (node 40), the name of which seems to imply it doesn't respond to lighting. And attempts to change or replace this with something else have so far rendered the entire mesh invisible, no doubt due to my ignorance.

The only thing that I can see which does anything non-standard to lighting is the BSShaderNoLighting (node 40), the name of which seems to imply it doesn't respond to lighting. And attempts to change or replace this with something else have so far rendered the entire mesh invisible, no doubt due to my ignorance.

Have you tried messing with the ambient and diffuse settings? Also if you check under the BSShaderNoLighting node, there should be another texture path. I think this is the one the model uses, not the base one. I've done a few hologram-type meshes and my problems always seem to stem from the BSShaderNoLighting node.

Hope you sort it =]