"Non-Steam", the meaning.

McclaudEagle

Except that way still requires Steam for install, and at this point it would automatically patch the game after installing regardless what your settings were. There was even a day 1 patch for Skyrim that could only be loaded through Steam.

Regardless how one feels about Steam, it is required in some way or form to make Skyrim work legally.

Yes, true, but if you installed within the first week all you got was the 1.1 patch. If you launched using the TESV.EXE file from that update it did not enforce the need to run the Steam client. The game as shipped at that point was the ONLY version that actually complied with the advertising. All others are now requiring more than what was advertised in order for the game to run.

I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone how much I despise the way Steam works, especially since it's "offline mode" has been anything but that since I caved in and allowed the update that included official LAA support. This isn't the future of gaming I want to see take hold.

I admit my own curiosity on this matter.

I've got retail versions (as in I have physical disks, disk covers and accompanying manuals) of Dragon Age: Origins, DA: Awakening, and DA2, so I would call them non-Steam versions of the game. So far as I know, none of them interact with Steam at all (but then again, I also admit to having no idea what Steam actually is, beyond that state of matter resulting from the boiling of liquids... :whistling: ).

I gather from various threads & comments that Steam is an online store-type-thing where games are purchased and instaled from, and requires an online connection & account with Steam to play...which brings me to my general dislike of the fact that no game is truly "offline" anymore (where even single-player games require an internet connection to be played, and can be disabled if no internet activity is available).

Anyhoo...just what is Steam? And how are retail versions different from Steam versions?

what is Steam? And how are retail versions different from Steam versions?

It's an online store and community, imagine Nexus without the moderators and you need to pay for the content, that's Steam. The retail version is different from the downloaded version cause you can hold it in your hand. They are both "Steam versions" cause both require steam to run, otherwise they don't work (which is BS if you ask me). I only have Skyrim through steam and that thing was downloading for 5 days although I was installing it from a disc, and the saddest thing is I found a thread about how not to download the entire game through steam when it finished downloading :facepalm:. In my personal opinion, steam is unnecesary junk that's wasting space on my hard drive, too bad you can't get rid of it (like GFWL on FO3).