Saves that loaded before now cause CTDs on load. No change in mods.

cptjimcarter

I keep getting this weird problem where my game freezes while on the road to Riverwood at the beginning of the game. When I exit the game and start it up again, the same save that loaded before, now causes a CTD.

Between the game freezing and me starting it up again I am not changing my load order, rebuilding my batch patch, or installing any new mods but for some reason the same save that loaded perfectly fine before, now leads to the game crashing.

This has happened a few times and I have found that if I deactivate a mod in MO that was active when the save loaded before (and rebuild my patch, resort my load order, etc.) the game loads fine again, but only on the first try, it then freezes somewhere down the road, and when I restart the game the save file leads to a CTD.

Is there any logical explanation as to why this could be happening?

1. List out your load order for you mods. Go to LOOT, assuming you are using it, click on the 3 dots in the upper right, and copy load order. Then paste it here.

2. Most mods actually work in-game. The fact yours is not working is either because you installed them wrong, they are incompatible with other mods, you are having a memory issue, or you've moved or deleted a mod from where it was and Skyrim is looking for it because it bakes scripts into your saved game.

3. When testing whether an issue is fixed, you should always start a new game because of the above mentioned "baking" into saves that Skyrim does. Once you have a load order that works and mods you like, then have a playthrough and don't move or delete anything.

4. If using mod organizer, make sure that you are sorting your left pane to match your right. I will sort my mods on the left and right side to match the below order, then let LOOT sort my right pane, then mirror the left to the newly sorted right pane.

Skyrim
Update
Dawnguard
Hearthfires
Dragonborn
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch
[Other files that end with .esm]
[Hi-resolution DLC files]
[unofficial High-resolution Patch]
[All mods that when you add them add .esp on the right pane] (This will be most of your mods)
[Custom Body Meshes/Textures] (Unp, CBBE, Realgirls, Mature Skin, Fine Face Textures for Men)
[Environmental Textures]
[Animations] (Realistic Animation Project - Movement, Sexy Idles, FNIS)
[Custom Skeletons] (XP32, XPMSE)
Alternative Start (If you get it, it goes almost last)

Try creating a new game first, then load the old file.

If that works, try out Ians139's solution.

I can personally vouch for the "Continue Game No Crash" mod, it doesn't really solve the problem itself, but it does do a very effective workaround which avoids the problem entirely.