Skyrim Crashes after new game, detailed info.

SiniVII

UPDATE: Solved it.

Steam was downloading a broken version. Once we cleaned the steam-cache and re-installed the game, it ran fine.

Huh... Wow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trying to troubleshoot for a friend of mine, as his skyrim keeps crashing (regular skyrim, not SE). He runs it on Microsoft Windows 10 Home x64.

Synopsis:
Basically, he crashes when he hops off the wagon in Whiterun, he doesn't even get to character creation.
When we tried it with Alternate Start mod installed, he crashes after character creation.

The unofficial skyrim patch and Alternative Start are the only mods installed along with SKSE, both are harmless in terms of causing CTD's to my own experience.

We have tried re-installing skyrim and deleting and re-creating the INI files, all the standard stuff like running it at low settings, but he can't even run regular skyrim(modless) without crashing. After years of modding skyrim solving countless issues on my own system, I am stumped, as this is not related to any mods because he doesn't have any anymore, we moved all of his mods away erased any remnants when we re-installed Skyrim. USLEEP and Alternative Start are both harmless and should not cause CTD's. I was guiding him through Skype's screenshare function for everything.

Personally, I am running Windows 7 and have little knowledge of the cogs that turn Windows 10, much to my own frustration.
I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Hardware:

CPU: AMD A10-7850K Radeon R7

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 390 Series

RAM: 32GB

Mod Manager Tool:

Mod Organizer

Papyrus Log:

Running USLEEP and Alternative Start, from what I could get from the authors the error checks are normal?

[11/23/2016 - 05:51:02PM] Papyrus log opened (PC)
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:02PM] Function GetEffectMagnitudes in the empty state on type Ingredient does not exist. Function will not be flagged as callable from tasklets.
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:02PM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:02PM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	<unknown self>.Game.GetFormFromFile() - "<native>" Line ?
	[USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 22
	[USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.OnInit() - "USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 17
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 26
	[USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.OnInit() - "USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 17
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 30
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[USLEEPVersionTracking (0500F458)].USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.ProcessRetroScripts() - "USLEEP_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 34
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] ==== LAL: Mod support check - Ignore errors about missing files. ====
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "Chesko_Frostfall.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[ARTHLALVersionTracking (06049F33)].arth_lal_versiontrackingscript.DLCSupportCheck() - "ARTH_LAL_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 85
	[ARTHLALVersionTracking (06049F33)].arth_lal_versiontrackingscript.OnInit() - "ARTH_LAL_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 56
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "Frostfall.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[ARTHLALVersionTracking (06049F33)].arth_lal_versiontrackingscript.DLCSupportCheck() - "ARTH_LAL_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 90
	[ARTHLALVersionTracking (06049F33)].arth_lal_versiontrackingscript.OnInit() - "ARTH_LAL_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 56
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "teg_returntohelgen.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[ARTHLALVersionTracking (06049F33)].arth_lal_versiontrackingscript.DLCSupportCheck() - "ARTH_LAL_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 110
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "Keld-Nar.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[ARTHLALVersionTracking (06049F33)].arth_lal_versiontrackingscript.DLCSupportCheck() - "ARTH_LAL_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 118
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] error: File "ShezriesOldHroldan.esp" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
	[ARTHLALVersionTracking (06049F33)].arth_lal_versiontrackingscript.DLCSupportCheck() - "ARTH_LAL_VersionTrackingScript.psc" Line 127
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:19PM] ==== LAL: Mod support check - Done. ====
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:22PM] DLC1: Starting DLC1 Initialization quest.
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:22PM] [DLC2_QF_DLC2_MQ04_02016E02 <DLC2Init (02016E02)>] DLC2Init quest START
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:22PM] PATCH 1.5 QUEST HAS STARTED
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:22PM] PATCH 1.6 QUEST HAS STARTED
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:22PM] PATCH 1.9 QUEST HAS STARTED
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:27PM] [DLC2_QF_DLC2_MQ04_02016E02 <DLC2Init (02016E02)>] DLC2Init quest DONE
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:28PM] PATCH 1.4 QUEST HAS STARTED
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:29PM] DLC1: DLC1 Initialization quest done.
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:30PM] VM is freezing...
[11/23/2016 - 05:51:30PM] VM is frozen

Edited by SiniVII

the only thing i can really come up with, is to do everything over step-by-step. uninstall skyrim, steam, everything. make sure to install steam somewhere other than program files (c:/steam is good), install the game, run once to make the ini files... i'd grab mod organizer whether you want mods or not (in example, c:/mod organizer), for the sole purposes of leaving everything fully vanilla as much as possible. keep the dirty plugins from the dlc in the game folder, but make cleaned copies and overwrite from mod organizer. i'm sure you know how, but just to be thorough, make backups of all the dlc masters, clean them in tes5edit (dawnguard twice), right-click overwrite and 'create mod', then move the backup copies back to the data folder. install only the components of skse that go into the skyrim folder, unpack the scripts archive inside data (not from skse, the one that's already there), and install the skse scripts from mod organizer. create the skse folder inside that mod, create the skse.ini with at a bare minimum the lines:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

then install crash fixes, following the instructions on the description page for the preloader and useosallocators. if the game still doesn't work i'll... i'll eat my hat. then you can throw in alternate start. given the timing of the crashes, it might not be a bad idea to also install racemenu since it includes the precache killer.

Edited by ymf331

I apologize, I forgot to mention that I was using Mod Organizer to begin with... Oops.

I had already done a lot of what you suggest, albeit I skipped some tedious steps that I didn't deem necessary for running the vanilla game, like cleaning the ESM's...

I'll go back and redo it all.

We figured out where he crashes, it's on auto-saves.

How to fix that other than disabling auto-saves alltogether (which is not a bad idea at all), I don't know.

the problem from auto save as i know its come from a lot scripts from mod like quests mod imerssive weapon and armor make the game very huge size when every min u get auto save with hight script in u save game automatic it will be ctd the normal size from save game with new game from 3 mega to 6 mega or 7 and 7 a lot if u make all quests in game mine quest and all city quest u will see u save folder from 17 to 20 mega that from vanilla quest just if u give the game new quests mod try to amagine the problem if u save folder get than 25 mega u in truoble so my advise dont install a lot mod with big files and quests mods maybe here the problem.

and sorry for my bad english.

Edited by lans139

Don't worry about your English, it's good enough to understand what you're getting at.

Thing is, he isn't using ANY mods.

It's modless, completely vanilla, and it still crashes. I cleaned the ESM's today(Well, he did while I was supervising) and that is the only alteration of the game files that he has, and he still crashes.

Just as we noticed it was happening on auto-saves, something urgent came up and we had to stop, so we're going to try disabling auto-saves tomorrow and see how it goes from there.

Edited by SiniVII

completely vanilla

u mean there no any mod and just crash ammmm ok look from what I understand, and perhaps someone with more knowledge can clarify if i'm wrong, Skyrim has an issue with autosaves and quicksaves in that it doesn't stop scripts before saving (which can result in broken stuff the next time you load) I think that's what I recall reading, but again it's probably worth fact-checking that and finding more information.

That being said you can set up AutoSave Manager to use "hard saves" (or Manual Saves as ASM calls them) which are the same as when you pause the game and hit Save in the menu. These are safe in that they shut down scripts before saving (and you can completely configure when ASM saves and tell it to only use manual saves)

So with a bit of tweaking in the MCM it can be completely safe and very handy mod.

try this

and close u auto save from u settinge game.

and sorry for my bad english.

Edited by lans139

It's not just the auto-saves... He can't save AT ALL. I gave him a save-file where we were past all the enforced auto-saves in the beginning, and he can play until he saves.

The game is as vanilla as can be aside from me cleaning the ESMs... SKSE and ClearInvalidRegistrations=1 didn't help.

His game is f*#@ed. I'll eat my own hand now as this is an utter defeat. I don't understand.