[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

I was just going to pester Cricket until she has an AR-15..or decides she's had enough and fills me with so much plasma my face lights up lol. I'd imagine since the junk nodachi is lighter and requires less strength it's also faster to strike with too.

I used Crafting Mastery to make vanilla ammunition, probably a lot less elaborate than WARS is.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a quick test (I tried out a Walther PPK - aka Deliverer), it seems like Tactical Reload works fine with WARS, so that's good news.

There's just the matter of all the new reload animations to make. (If I'm going to make a patch for it.) Fortunately some of them are already done - e.g. for the M1911 and Thompson, by Diakyuto, who even sent them to me a little while ago to use in WARS.

I think the Hunting Rifle and Handmade AKM are already covered too, since Hitman and Ha_ru did the animations for those and released them as standalone a while back. (Since they're proper right-handed animations.)

I can probably find time for the remaining anim sets. Since making these alternate reloads is mostly just taking out parts of the existing ones, rather than adding new stuff, it shouldn't be so bad. I just need to shift mental gears and remember the fiddly FO4 animation import/export workflow stuff.

Mmm in that maybe better to test with both to be on the safe side when it comes to the potential of bugs, knowing you've been playing already for a couple of months I wouldn't anticipate bugs by themselves I do see PEACE and Agony (and by extention Agony Extended) conflicting with each other since they both touch the medical mechanics of the game, especially for survival mode.

I am curious to ask, looking at things face value would you anticipate conflicts between PEACE/WARS and Flipdeazys Smokeable Cigars Cigarettes and Joints? I use that on survival to save my game..and wind up addicted to nicotine.

Hahahahaa! It's ironic how that went right, albeit quite a few of those years was also waiting for AmmoTweaks V2 and that didn't quite pan out.

It's understandable, you put A LOT of time and effort and love into this project. I'm anticipating it's going to be different than how I'm used to playing and there's going to be adjusting to that, especially making ammo. Admittedly I'm excited to get my hands on that AR15 and the Junk Blade lol.

Neither WARS or PEACE do anything in particular with cigarettes and cigars; you can probably just load that mod after them in case I edited their weight or scrap components or something.

Finally finding that first AR-15 was a special moment in my playthrough, that's for sure. I'm finding a Junk Nodachi to be a powerful melee backup, too. Not a patch on a super sledge or something, but it's a fraction of the weight and has a much lower Strength requirement, so...

People should be able to get by if they absolutely refuse to make their own ammo, but they probably won't get to use exactly the types and sub-types they want to as much as if they set up an ammo factory. (Like, 12 Gauge Pulse Slugs are invaluable for dealing with robots, but good luck finding enough, if you're not making your own.)

I should really make that video showing my factory setup, so that people can refer to it in making their own, if they want to. (I'm still procrastinating on that one because I don't want to record my voice for the commentary.)

Smokeable Cigars Cigarettes and Joints doesn't touch any vanilla records so I believe there shouldn't be any conflicts, it seems like it just replaces the cigar/cigarette related junk items with its own consumable versions when they enter your inventory. The sneak attack bonus should probably be changed to better fit in with the changes WARS makes.

I noticed a little quirk with the ammo sub-type system where if you swap between different sub-types and then drop/store the ammo the gun isn't currently using, the HUD will say you have zero ammo and the gun will be empty until you reequip the gun.

Hi anistar, I saw the image post about beta testing for WARS and PEACE. I'm a little late to the party, but I'd be interesting in joining if you're still looking for people!

Thanks - I appreciate it. :smile: I've sent you a PM with the link.

I noticed a little quirk with the ammo sub-type system where if you swap between different sub-types and then drop/store the ammo the gun isn't currently using, the HUD will say you have zero ammo and the gun will be empty until you reequip the gun.

Ah, I see it too - though it's in relatively specific circumstances. It seems like it happens if you drop/store all of an ammo sub-type for the equipped weapon if it's not the current sub-type and you were previously using that sub-type. I think it's the game designating the ammo sub-type as being "equipped" (it has the little square next to it in the Pip-Boy), and then the equipped status sticks around after swapping to another sub-type. Then if you get rid of all of it, I'm guessing there's some code in the game that says "the player no longer has the equipped ammo, so make sure the weapon is now empty".

I didn't notice it myself even after playing for a couple of months (I guess because I typically only put away ammo sub-types I've been using if I'm also putting the weapon itself away?), so it seems pretty specific and hopefully not too big a deal.

I'll see if I can get the script to "unequip" an ammo sub-type after you switch away from it - and see if that fixes it - but if not, I'm not sure it'll be possible to fix. I'll just have to put it in the Known Issues section, in that case.

Edit: After a brief bit of additional testing, the ammo isn't consistently getting set as "equipped", either. Not sure under what circumstances the game does that. I'll keep an eye on it.

Edited by antistar

Okay, I think I've fixed that issue. I was sceptical that using that "UnequipItem" script function would actually work on ammo, but it seems like it does.

I'll give it a few hours' play-testing to see if it causes any immediate issues, and then upload it as a hotfix so you (testers) can grab it. If that bug is causing any of you a lot of grief though, bug me about it and I'll upload it sooner.

Thanks for letting me know about it, stellarview. :)

Hey Antistar Im seeing youre rolling out beta tests for people to try out. Thats great happy to see this project is getting closer and closer. Got two questions: Is munitions a part of the mod or will it have patches? Do you hope to have the mod release this year? Not saying you have a release date just gauging your ideal goal.

Hey Antistar Im seeing youre rolling out beta tests for people to try out. Thats great happy to see this project is getting closer and closer. Got two questions: Is munitions a part of the mod or will it have patches? Do you hope to have the mod release this year? Not saying you have a release date just gauging your ideal goal.

Munitions isn't part of WARS and I'm not planning to make a patch for it myself. I was just talking a bit about Munitions (and Armament) in a post a couple of pages back, actually - for more info.

A full release of WARS and PEACE could be a couple of months away? Maybe a bit more? As always, it's hard to judge. I want to give testers a reasonable amount of time with it - Fallout 4 is obviously a big game and it takes a while to play through it - and my own play-test is ongoing, too.

I'd also like to put together a patch for Tactical Reload before release. Partially because I'd like that myself, but also because otherwise I'd be getting non-stop requests for it from people who can't conceive of a consciousness outside their own for long enough at a time to consider that they might not be the first person to ask for it.

On top of that I need to work out the formatting of text, images, etc for all the Nexus pages for these mods and their patches; there's going to be a number of those to put out at the same time.

Maybe a couple of videos showing factory setups? (E.g. an ammo factory for WARS, and a food processing setup for PEACE?)

Still a little bit to do.

is there a repository for third party patches? would I just check the file to see if a new hotfix is out or is there a way you will inform us that a new hotfix is out?

You saw the patches and whatnot at the link I sent you, right? There are a few sub-directories in there containing the patches. I will put updates in there, and post here in the WIP thread/s when I do, to let people know.

I must say I'm liking how things are going so far (despite losing three of my magazines lol,) the reworking of the weight system is also quite something and I have discovered the importance of bags.

Okay, I uploaded a few updates:

WARS Beta 1.0.1 Hotfix:

Beta 1.0.1 (26-04-23)
- Fix in WARSAT_AmmoTypeScript to "unequip" ammo items (that the game has randomly decided to mark as "equipped") when switching away from that ammo sub-type, since dropping/storing "equipped" ammo items with the weapon equipped (even if it's no longer the current ammo sub-type) will have the game force the weapon to be empty, requiring it to be reloaded.
- Changed 12 Ga Pulse Slug explosion sound to a different (less deafening) one.

For testers:

Install this hotfix using your mod manager. It contains loose files that will override those in the mod's ba2 file/s.

Once the beta is over and you're using a release version of the mod (or if I tell you to do this during the beta), ensure that this hotfix is uninstalled, as it will continue to override the main mod if left in place.

WARS - Lend-Lease Beta 1.0.1:

Version Beta 1.0.1 (23-04-23)
- FN FAL now uses the power armour animations included in the base mod.

PEACE - Well-Dressed Beta 1.0.1:

Beta 1.0.1 (27-04-23)
- DB-507 leg armour pieces now accept Combat Armor material mods.

Testers can grab them at the link I sent you earlier.

I must say I'm liking how things are going so far (despite losing three of my magazines lol,) the reworking of the weight system is also quite something and I have discovered the importance of bags.

That's good to hear. :) As you level up there are ways to make it easier to recover dropped mags that disappeared under a bush or into a pile of rubbish or something. ;)

And yeah, I've found in my playthrough that a lot of the time I'm using power armour less for its protection and more for the bags I strapped to it and the cargo carrier I bolted to it. Gotta carry that loot home somehow!