ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a small update: it's now possible to switch between semi- and full-auto on the AR-15 using a "switcher" item (or hotkey I imagine, though I haven't tried that yet), as long as the weapon has a Select Fire Trigger Group. "Trigger Group" is a new mod slot, so semi/auto is separate from receivers in WARS.

The selector switch even changes visibly when you switch between semi- and full-auto. :)

It's using the Loads of Ammo framework, like the M203 under-barrel grenade launcher. The Loads of Ammo plugin contains traces of an un-implemented rate-of-fire switching system, but for WARS I've actually got it using the same script as the under-barrel switcher.

I've only implemented it for the AR-15 so far, but I'll do it for other weapons too of course. Should be faster now that I've got the framework set up.

I also gave the AR-15 a second vertical foregrip just to add more variety and choice. This one by Tigg.

That should be it for AR-15 weapon mods for now. Man that took a while. (Altogether, I mean; not that foregrip. That was pretty quick.) Next I'll do the Mini-14, I think. That should be a lot quicker than the AR-15, since a lot of its weapon mods will be ones I already made for the AR-15.

That is pretty amazing antistar. So weapon wise that leaves the USAS-12 and Mini 14 for the replacers right? I am excited every time I check in and see an update!

Yes; the Mini-14 shouldn't be too time-consuming, like I said, but the USAS-12 will take a bit more work. I'm using this resource by Pete3D, and the textures were well-done for their time, but not suitable for FO4 - so I'll have to make a new high-poly for it and texture it myself. It'll give me an opportunity to tailor it a bit more towards modification though, so it's not all bad.

Got some more questions.

1. Will this work with a controller?

2. Do you have any plans for energy weapons? Maybe more ammo types or something.

3. Will you be using the see-through scopes?

4. Will you be adding any unique-variant guns like in New Vegas?

1) Yes, it should be fine there. The switcher items in Loads of Ammo appear in the Aid section of the Pip-Boy, so they can be favourited like any other item.

2) I've never really been into Energy weapons so they're not the focus of WARS, but I do plan to include them in the general overhaul of weapons - so yes; probably some different ammo types, among other things.

3) Probably not. There are some aspects of the way it works that I don't like; just due to engine limitations, really. It's unfortunate, as I don't really like how scopes work in the base game either.

4) I don't know yet.

The first thing I noticed when I looked at that USAS preview was the Mossberg 590 that he also made, and I remember you leaving a comment on one of Hitman's pump action animation videos about maybe including one in WARS; any chance there's potential there? I'm sure I'm just reading way too far into it, but I had to ask. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the USAS. We've gotten previews of everything else in screenshots/videos, but not that yet, so I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head even after seeing those renders (mostly because the USAS is such an oddball; even ignoring the previews, everything else is easy to picture because I've seen them so many different times).

Edited by Tukster

Pete3D's Mossberg 590 there is an unreleased WIP from at least four years ago, so no - not that one. ;) As it happens though there's another Mossberg I've been considering; this one by An Aggressive Napkin. That's where the M7 Bayonet I used for the AR-15 came from, in fact. I'm torn between it and this Winchester M1912 by KnechtRuprecht though, since it's gorgeous.

I'm mainly familiar with the USAS-12 from its appearance in Far Cry 2. (Love that game.) There's also this detailed look at it on Forgotten Weapons; I'm going to be relying on that video as reference a lot, I think.

That's a shame about Pete3D's Mossberg (and my fault for not looking into it more than a passing glance), but the fact that you're still considering any pump-action with Hitman's animation set is enough to get me excited. Both of those resources look great, and I honestly can't choose a preference between the two myself.

I actually had no idea Far Cry 2 featured a USAS-12 (bit disappointed in myself for that, since I'm a big fan of that game). If I had to think of games where I've seen it (and remember, unlike FC2), the only two I can think of are Battlefield 3 and Syphon Filter 2 (and the latter barely counts since it was just a two-tone rectangle). I wish it would get as much representation in media as the AA12, because while the latter is arguably a better weapon, I think the USAS is much more quirky and interesting. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it, and here's hoping it kicks like a mule.

Edited by Tukster