[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

A big fan of your work Antistar, remembered when you first released weapon mod kits for fallout 3; great days. :D

Whats the latest update on your project if you don't mind my asking? :smile:

Also, how was New Zealand?

Thanks. :)

See below for current project status.

New Zealand was amazing. It's no revelation to say this, but it really is a postcard view everywhere you look. Being Australian makes it an easy place to visit too, as both countries have broadly similar cultures, infrastructure, etc.

Planned release of this mod is 2077

Planned release of this mod is "When Ammo Tweaks puts out that update." Antistar's done everything they could on their end for the initial release of the mod. Since WARS is dependent upon Ammo Tweaks,and the upcoming update is necessary for some of WARS' functionality,the only thing we're waiting on is another mod author to finish their update. And Antistar's started work in earnest on the sister mod,PEACE,in the meantime.

It's basically as Moldy says there, though more specifically it's due when the AmmoTweaks update is released, plus the time it takes to do the AmmoTweaks integration, test everything, finish the documentation and do the closed beta.

I do appreciate getting the chance to get some solid work done on PEACE. As desperate as I am to play FO4 with WARS (and I've been waiting since I finished my first playthrough, back when FO4 first came out), I'm also desperate to play it with PEACE.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all the folks that replied before A-star's response, my question was directed to any new updates on the project as written, not planned release date, but hey; I suppose I should've read all the posts first before asking so, my bad! :D

Thank you @Moldy for updating, was not aware of what's been on as I discovered this project yesterday. :smile:

A big fan of your work Antistar, remembered when you first released weapon mod kits for fallout 3; great days. :D

Whats the latest update on your project if you don't mind my asking? :smile:

Also, how was New Zealand?

Thanks. :smile:

See below for current project status.

New Zealand was amazing. It's no revelation to say this, but it really is a postcard view everywhere you look. Being Australian makes it an easy place to visit too, as both countries have broadly similar cultures, infrastructure, etc.

Planned release of this mod is 2077

Planned release of this mod is "When Ammo Tweaks puts out that update." Antistar's done everything they could on their end for the initial release of the mod. Since WARS is dependent upon Ammo Tweaks,and the upcoming update is necessary for some of WARS' functionality,the only thing we're waiting on is another mod author to finish their update. And Antistar's started work in earnest on the sister mod,PEACE,in the meantime.

It's basically as Moldy says there, though more specifically it's due when the AmmoTweaks update is released, plus the time it takes to do the AmmoTweaks integration, test everything, finish the documentation and do the closed beta.

I do appreciate getting the chance to get some solid work done on PEACE. As desperate as I am to play FO4 with WARS (and I've been waiting since I finished my first playthrough, back when FO4 first came out), I'm also desperate to play it with PEACE.

Makes sense, thank you for responding Antistar, that's all I wanted to know. Again, thank you for your time and effort, I look forward to using the mod when it comes out.

I have been wondering if you have seen any of the stuff with levelupmenuEX and the Be Exceptional Mod. Essentially levelupmenuEX brings back the old skills/perks menu from previous fallout games into the game and is just the UI modification whereas Be Exceptional actually adds the old skill levels into the game. For example rifles and pistol skills as they increase gives increased damage, Range, Hipfire Accuracy and Reload speed. I wonder if it would be possible to simply remove the damage and range portions of those skill modifications so make it so it is like you are simply increasing your proficiency in using that style of weapon. I also wondered if it is possible to script in some sort of weapon proficiency system so that your other non combat skills are ones you choose upon leveling up and your skills with handguns vs rifle grip style guns could somehow naturally level as you use them in combat somewhat similar to skyrims leveling system. It would make it so that as you use a certain ranged weapon type you become more adept at their use such as faster reload speeds and potentially slightly better handling speeds as you level up the skill from 1 to 100. I have no idea how hard this would be to implement if it were even possible but I think it would be way cool. I also like the idea of using levelupmenuEX and Be Exceptional so that some of the more boring choices available for perks such as your science, hacking, lockpicking, speech, and such are available for dumping skill points into and the perk choices are a little more interesting. You could potentially add a lot more interesting perks this way and Be Exceptional already has a bunch of cool new options. I am sure you have been asked about this before and it could likely be a bit of a b&@*$ to implement your own perk changes into this system but I really like the idea of having those skills separate. Another relatively low priority issue but one that has been on my mind nonetheless. Thank you again for your time on this awesome project!

shavkacagarikia has a lever action reload fix that allows it to reload only the amount of shots you have already shot out however it does not allow canceling the animation at any point. I hope someone figures that one out someday as I love the lever action's aesthetic and style.

shavkac

I have been wondering if you have seen any of the stuff with levelupmenuEX and the Be Exceptional Mod. Essentially levelupmenuEX brings back the old skills/perks menu from previous fallout games into the game and is just the UI modification whereas Be Exceptional actually adds the old skill levels into the game. For example rifles and pistol skills as they increase gives increased damage, Range, Hipfire Accuracy and Reload speed. I wonder if it would be possible to simply remove the damage and range portions of those skill modifications so make it so it is like you are simply increasing your proficiency in using that style of weapon. I also wondered if it is possible to script in some sort of weapon proficiency system so that your other non combat skills are ones you choose upon leveling up and your skills with handguns vs rifle grip style guns could somehow naturally level as you use them in combat somewhat similar to skyrims leveling system. It would make it so that as you use a certain ranged weapon type you become more adept at their use such as faster reload speeds and potentially slightly better handling speeds as you level up the skill from 1 to 100. I have no idea how hard this would be to implement if it were even possible but I think it would be way cool. I also like the idea of using levelupmenuEX and Be Exceptional so that some of the more boring choices available for perks such as your science, hacking, lockpicking, speech, and such are available for dumping skill points into and the perk choices are a little more interesting. You could potentially add a lot more interesting perks this way and Be Exceptional already has a bunch of cool new options. I am sure you have been asked about this before and it could likely be a bit of a *censored* to implement your own perk changes into this system but I really like the idea of having those skills separate. Another relatively low priority issue but one that has been on my mind nonetheless. Thank you again for your time on this awesome project!

Like with DT vs DR, this is another case where I prefer Perks plus Skills to just Perks, but probably not by enough to want to overhaul everything for the sake of supporting it. It's a low priority, like you said.

Any plans to make a double action modification for the .44 or should I use this awesome mod! https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33511

Edit: will that f*** with your recoil changes?

I do still plan to have single action and double action be selectable fire-modes, like semi vs auto.

Recoil depicted in weapon animations is a separate thing to the recoil defined by Aim Model and Object Mod records, so there's no problem there. (The latter being what actually affects where you're aiming.)

shavkacagarikia has a lever action reload fix that allows it to reload only the amount of shots you have already shot out however it does not allow canceling the animation at any point. I hope someone figures that one out someday as I love the lever action's aesthetic and style.

shavkac

Yeah, I'd love for round-by-round reloads to be possible without issues like script lag and whatnot. I'm not sure anyone's definitively cracked it yet.

It baffles me that Fallout 4 can't even handle a proper round-by-round reload system without experiencing issues. Hell, Fallout New Vegas had a decent round-by-round reload system. I don't recall if there were issues with it though but still.

I don't know if someone mentioned this already and part of me doubts that this is possible in Fallout 4 without experiencing issues as well but I wonder if a round-in-the-chamber system can be done here. Like when you reload an M4A1 with a non-empty magazine therefore instead of having 30 rounds after the reload is complete, you have 31 rounds because there's still a round in the chamber. Of course though, the issues with trying to do a system like that is not only having to script it properly but also needing to have two different reload animations for pretty much almost every single weapon let alone trying to do all of that in Fallout 4 with the shitty and outdated Creation engine.

It's been a long time, but I think there were some issues with the round-by-round reloads in FNV early on - fixed in patches. Still, it remained a bit clunky in places - like the reload being cancelled by crouching/uncrouching in the middle of it, I think? Again, it's been a while since I've played FNV, actually.

I remember Shiny Hax doing some tests with alternate reload animations depending on whether there was a round in the chamber or not, but it suffered from some pretty horrendous script lag issues.

Ugh... script lag. I'm sure that when BGS introduced the changes to their scripting engine that produce script lag, it was for a good reason and solved a lot of problems, but man... it sure created a lot of problems at the same time.

Yeah, of course, this is the Creation engine so while it has been a while since I played FNV, I wouldn't be surprised if the round-by-round reloads had issues there as well. Figures that the alternate reload system would have issues as well. You know a game engine is REALLY old and outdated when it can't even properly handle round-by-round reloads and tactical reloads.