[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

This is kind of hard to answer since it will likely change based on how much of a pain it ends up being to make a patch for a weapon. I think though that a good rule of thumb for something I'd at least like to support via patch is:

Â

1) It's not very similar to a weapon that's already in WARS. E.g. if it's based on the AR-15 platform, then probably not.

2) It's mentioned in the OP as a weapon I'd like to see included.

I think for other weaponry if not covered by you or the mod author that particularly made the weapon mod the most popular ones will likely see compatibility patches made by others, well it's usually what ends up happening. I doubt weapon compilations like Modern Firearms would see a patch, simply because that's a lot of weapons to cycle through.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it conceivable to add an active laser guidance system to the VMLS,similar to how the "RPG" in Half-Life 2 works? I understand you want to avoid scripting as much as possible,but I want to know if you think it's possible,and if it is,the odds of its implementation.

I think for other weaponry if not covered by you or the mod author that particularly made the weapon mod the most popular ones will likely see compatibility patches made by others, well it's usually what ends up happening. I doubt weapon compilations like Modern Firearms would see a patch, simply because that's a lot of weapons to cycle through.

Yep, here's hoping.

Is it conceivable to add an active laser guidance system to the VMLS,similar to how the "RPG" in Half-Life 2 works? I understand you want to avoid scripting as much as possible,but I want to know if you think it's possible,and if it is,the odds of its implementation.

I imagine it's possible, but having to near-constantly update both exactly where the player is pointing and the heading of the missile so it goes towards that point (and does so in a believable-looking way) seems like it might be very taxing on the script engine. Script lag could be a big problem there.

It could also be that it could hook into however the existing heat-seeking omod works somehow and it wouldn't be a problem - or maybe there'd be other tricks to make it work. I don't really know enough about that to say for sure.

What about toggleable laser pointers? It's a bit weird to see weapons on display with the lasers turned on. Sure, you could always detach the laser before putting it on display but I don't think that should be a good solution.Â

I think Modern Firearms features toggleable LAMs as part of their toggleable gadgets thing, but I don't know if that works for all instances of said weapons or just what's in your hands. Their method might not work for display.

Toggleable laser sights could be done via an omod that is attached/detached via hotkey, but I see doing it for the sake of putting them on display to be kind of an edge case, so it's a low priority for me.

I think it could see another use beyond that. I use the MP40 mod for example, which has a see-through long range scope and laser sights attachments. The weapon can thus be used for both long range combat as well as close quarters even without the crosshair since you have the laser sight. When looking down the long scope however, the laser pointer's dot sort of gets in the way a little bit and I wished I could turn it off.

There are no see-through scopes in WARS because I don't think the technical limitations associated with them are worth it. So for better or worse, that shouldn't be an issue here. ;) (Unless someone made an add-on that added see-through scopes to WARS, I guess.)

Also for what it's worth, I spent a lot of time getting the laser sights in WARS to line up as closely as possible with the dots in the reflex sights. It's not always perfect; the SA80 for example can have the laser sight attach in different places depending on the current barrel; it wasn't possible to get it to line up in all circumstances. The majority are basically spot-on though, I think.

Antistar, I could be off the map here, but here goes.

A lot of people seem to be asking you to add this feature or tweak that function. You have a plan and sticking to it so far and that is commendable. You are carving your own work out of what the CK allows you and that is a great chunk of work. I see this influx of input as something of a demonstration of both trust and enthusiasm.

I think a lot of them are asking you because you

a) seem to have a pretty damn good grasp of what the game engine can or cannot do with or without extended modding involved -due in no small part to your expertise

and

b) you have the willingness to discuss to the reason why it can or cannot be done within your project, and/or add your take on it.

Since your WARS project is tightly focused on weapons and weapon implementation, users are just eager to bounce ideas and suggestion off you in hope you might implement it OR that someone picks up that piece of modding and spins it into its own. Not a lot of modders out there do this and some simply ignore the requests and simply say ''can't be done.''

In a way this thread is a kind of ''Antistar Weaponsmith mod clinic'' for a lot of users.

Then again I could be way off - but looking at the numbers of post in this discussion, I would wager not by much.

Again - thanks for you time and effort.

Edited by Radsweeper

Do you think there would be anything needed to be done to make other modded weapons compatible balance wise with WARS (And by extension PEACE too)? I'm mainly thinking in terms of damage and cost of crafting upgrades/attachments. Not sure if you've made drastic changes to damage numbers, but if you have and you're able to release them I could have a go with making the popular weapon mods compatible to kill time while we wait for release.