[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Part of me wonders if AmmoTweaks has FRAG-12 and explosive ammo for whichever calibre you've chosen for the minigun. I realize this seems totally random,but Fallout is,let's face it,a rather crazy universe. I mean,no sane government would let the Anchorage Simulation happen,what with General Chase's historical revisionism,and fatal neural feedback loops. Still,looking forward to seeing what WARS & PEACE does to Fallout 4. Maybe it'll be the Project Nevada or FWE of Fallout 4.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a question recently about subtypes in the comments on Ammotweaks; the 2.0 update will have FRAG-12. And more subtypes than you'd conceivably need which is awesome.

I was playing around in the CK the other day with another mod and man, bethesda really did hardcode the separation between magic effects/perk entries and omod effects. I was going to suggest adding reload speed to the weapon perks as well but I doubt that will be possible as stated before.

Speaking of perks, Antistar: how are you handling the commando perk now that fire mode will be a switch instead of a different mod? While full auto is a distinct experience, it's so similar to semi that one's proficiency with a weapon wouldn't be affected by it.

I made a quick change to the flared magwell for the Glock:

- Glock 16

To copy-paste what I said on the Nexus image share page: The Glock in WARS (which replaces the vanilla 10mm Pistol) has both a tactical stock and a flared magwell as weapon mods, and previously I'd made it possible to have both attached at the same time. The thing is you can't actually do that with the real thing as they both attach to the pistol in the same way - that's why I had to leave the magwell awkwardly open at the back.

This has been bothering me for a while, so recently I went back and made both the weapon mods attach on the same slot (the Grip slot) so you need to choose between them. I'd gone out of my way initially to make it possible to use both at the same time because they affect different things (reload speed for the flared magwell and accuracy/recoil control/etc for the tactical stock), but I changed my mind! This makes more sense and I think having to make a choice between them is fine. Personally, if I was going to use the pistol as kind of a lightweight SMG (i.e. a machine pistol) I'd probably go with the tactical stock. Otherwise the flared magwell is probably a good choice.

Anyway, to do this I needed to update the magwell model to be (correctly) closed at the back, as you can see in this shot - and while I was at it I redid its textures. Fortunately it's pretty quick to do that in Substance Painter.

Apart from that I've just been doing more weapon stats. Recently I did the Broadsider, Junk Jet, R700 Hunting Rifle, and I'm in the middle of doing the various Pipe Guns. They're both good and tedious to work on at the same time, as they share a lot of the same parts. This is good because I can use a lot of the same values across (say) the Pipe Gun and the Pipe Revolver - probably even the Pipe Bolt-Action too, to an extent (that's what I'm doing next) - and bad because although their weapon mods are conceptually the same, technically they're different omods for the different weapons... so I need to do a lot of copying and pasting. I still need to make sure I'm copying the right things to the right places though (and they're not always exactly the same between these weapons), so it's both exacting and tedious - which makes it take a while.

Part of me wonders if AmmoTweaks has FRAG-12 and explosive ammo for whichever calibre you've chosen for the minigun. I realize this seems totally random,but Fallout is,let's face it,a rather crazy universe. I mean,no sane government would let the Anchorage Simulation happen,what with General Chase's historical revisionism,and fatal neural feedback loops. Still,looking forward to seeing what WARS & PEACE does to Fallout 4. Maybe it'll be the Project Nevada or FWE of Fallout 4.

Definitely FRAG-12, like kuzi127 said - but I don't know about explosive rounds for the Minigun. I think .308 is too small for (effective?) explosive rounds...? I'm sure others could speak with more authority on that than I can. Maybe incendiary though - they could possibly have kind of a small "blast" that sets things on fire.

Project Nevada may not be the best comparison since it adds a lot of all-new systems with new UI elements and whatnot, but FWE seems sort of apt I guess, yeah - at least in terms of what I'd like WARS and PEACE to do. Who knows how popular they'll end up being, though. ;)

I asked a question recently about subtypes in the comments on Ammotweaks; the 2.0 update will have FRAG-12. And more subtypes than you'd conceivably need which is awesome.

I was playing around in the CK the other day with another mod and man, bethesda really did hardcode the separation between magic effects/perk entries and omod effects. I was going to suggest adding reload speed to the weapon perks as well but I doubt that will be possible as stated before.

Speaking of perks, Antistar: how are you handling the commando perk now that fire mode will be a switch instead of a different mod? While full auto is a distinct experience, it's so similar to semi that one's proficiency with a weapon wouldn't be affected by it.

For a little while I was vaguely considering changing Commando to affect SMGs and Rifleman affect rifles - both of them regardless of semi/auto - but I don't know that there are enough SMGs in the game/WARS (at least right now) for that to be worthwhile.

So for now those perks still affect the same weapon types, though I think having their effects switch on and off as you change fire modes won't be so noticeable as things stand, since right now those perks don't actually do very much... which is its own problem. Beyond things like chance to stagger/disarm/cripple/etc, the weapon skill perks right now really just increase hip-fire accuracy - and it's thanks to the limitations in what perks can do that you mention there.

I am still trying to think of other things these perks can (reasonably) do. Possibly increase your movement speed (i.e. decrease your movement speed penalty) with those weapons equipped?

Honestly,I think Bethesda was stoned out of their gourd with the whole "Legendary Equipment" system. It makes zero sense,and doesn't enrich gameplay at all. I mean,when I played on the old man's computer,I had non-reactions whenever I got a Legendary item. Even unique items weren't unique; Just a guaranteed instance of a specific Legendary item. Big f*#@ing whoop. It's like they were trying to make a completely different game,and ended up slapping the Fallout brand on it,because it'd sell.