[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Antistar have you've seen this?

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/images/126132

Does this weapon fit with your vision? If it does perhaps you should talk to the guy to see if you can implement it as a substitute for the pipe weapons. Btw i was wondering, now that the mod is at a more stable development stage, what can you tell us about compability? I'm used to making my own patches, but i wanted to know what complexity level i should expect. Anyway amazing as always, i check this thread almost everyday for updates, its really nice to see a mod slowly being shaped into reality, keep up the good work!

Yeah, I've seen the various progress shots MaxBehr has posted about Gallant's Gun; it's gorgeous. It'd make a great replacer for the vanilla semi/auto Pipe Guns. I don't want to try to... take advantage, I guess, of all that hard work before the mod is even finished, though. I'll at least let them finish it off and do what they want with their own mod before I start bugging them about that kind of thing. ;)

Making a weapon compatible with WARS may take a number of steps, but the steps themselves shouldn't be all that difficult. It'll mainly be editing weapon and omod records, plus a few formlists and levelled lists. Part of the process will be hooking things into the AmmoTweaks framework, which may be a little more complicated, though that should still mainly just be omod editing. I obviously can't say for sure at this stage as I'm yet to see the insides of the pending AmmoTweaks update myself!

In any case I'll cover everything in the tutorial I'll write on this before the release of WARS.

I didn't even think to ask earilier, or look. I use Post-Apocalyptic Pipegun Replacer, which I'm really liking so far, will WARs be compatible. I feel like you already answered this in a way earlier post, but I'm lazy lol.

Just about any weapon mod will require a patch - unless perhaps it's a mod that only adds relatively simple melee weapons, let's say.

I think most of the time you could technically drop other mods that add new weapons in on top of WARS and they'll work - it's just that they'll almost certainly have stats that clash with WARS, different weapon modification structures, etc.

In short though; no, that mod wouldn't be compatible with WARS, since it's also editing a vanilla weapon.

Hey guys i've made quite a few armor and outfit mods for skyrim and fallout but i'd like to step into the world of weapon development. I have a few questions i'd like to ask about the creation process for weapons assetts and was wondering if there was some way to voice chat with someone maybe over discord to get my questions answered before i start modeling.

I'm not really one for voice chat, but I can sympathise with it being difficult to find information on making weapons for FO4. Bethesda's GECK/CK wikis for earlier games were great resources, but they're kind of lacking when it comes to their more recent games, for whatever reason.

This thread isn't really the place for it, but if you have a look around and can't find the answers you're looking for, you may want to post a thread somewhere on the Nexus forums asking your questions. That way other people can also benefit from any answers you get. If you do that, feel free to post a link to the thread here, and I'll check it out. I can't promise to have time if it's a really involved topic (or to even know the answer, obviously ;)), but I can at least have a look.

More levelled list problems.

That framework I was talking about recently that had a kind of sliding scale that allowed for high-tier weapons showing up at low levels, but with a low probability - and vice-versa? Looks like I won't be able to do that, unfortunately. When it came time to test it by slotting it into existing levelled lists so it would show up across (say) all the various Gunner NPCs, it caused the game (and the CK) to take much, much longer to load. So long in some cases that it may not have ever got there; I just ended the process.

These same levelled lists worked fine on a couple of test NPCs, so as best I can tell the problem crops up when these lists end up on NPCs that are inventory templates for other NPCs. The levelled lists in question are pretty complex and deeply nested. Maybe they're just too complex! Something about them seems to disagree with NPC inventory templates anyway, so that's no good.

I'll just have to do it more like in the base game, looks like. No sliding scale. That probably means no chances for high-tier weapons to show up at low levels either... but I'll give that some thought.

It's a shame to lose the time I spent working out that system, but hey; it's like that sometimes. It's not a total wash, anyway; the "loadout" part of the system (where NPCs get a primary weapon, a backup melee weapon and possibly a sidearm, plus a levelled amount of ammo for these things) seems to be working just fine so far.

It was never a go as there is already an AR15 in the mod, and the 416 is similar enough that the extra work to implement it wouldn't be worth it. I believe Antistar said it is a possibility for far in the future when the mod is released and stable, and he is willing to work on expansion.