[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first heard about this mod, I didn't think much of it. But in the years leading up to now, to see the progress on what is possibly going to be the greatest arsenal mod of all time, I am elated for the beta and release. Props to Anistar and everyone involved in the project means a lot that you'd do something so amazing for us lesser, not mod developers.

Thanks. :smile:

I heard in Juicehead's channel that some modders are making the FN FAL and M240, maybe worth adding them in when they are ready.

I was talking just recently about the very nice looking FN FAL resource that popped up. That's something I'd like to get in there sometime after the initial release of the mod. I'm not really planning to include an M240 (though I haven't heard anything about the one you mention). Maybe an M60 sometime - or support for the existing M60 mod via patch.

That'd just extend any possible ETA by weeks which is already likely to be in the next 6 months at the earliest.

It's probably worth noting that I can't speculate on a reasonably accurate release date yet myself (too many factors, some of them beyond my control, etc), so someone who is not the author of the mod is going to have even less of an idea of the ETA than I do. :wink:

Edited by antistar

do i have to play FO4 in english with WARS, or is it just compatible with every language and only the Mod things are in english?

Usually, community itself cover this issue up. After every big release, users release translations ASAP. I bet after WARS is released, someone will translate/release a localized esp to your language (asuming It's one of the "big" languages).

They have their appearance and general behaviour changed in the same way as the standard versions of those weapons, but I mostly kept much the same combination of weapon mods on them. Most of the named weapons have had their Legendary effects swapped for non-"magical" effects, though. I listed which ones - and what their effects were changed to - in the second post.

How do I find info about this mod? I read through about 5-6 pages on this forum but there is still like 150 pages. lol

I am guessing this is a weapon replacer mod that swaps vanilla weapons for modder made weapons, but it must be more than that. Is there a youtube vid or a written synopsis that covers what has been done so far?

Ok. I found the front page has info and vids, sorry. haha.

Edited by Guest

Yep - that did remind me though that I really needed to finish up the documentation on the new and altered weapons in WARS, and add a copy of it to the second post.

So I did! (More or less; I'll likely add calibre information to it once the AmmoTweaks integration is finalised, or at least under-way.) Notably it includes a full list of the weapon mods available on the new weapons.

It's in the second post now, but here's another copy of it:

The Weapons

WARS adds a range of new weapons to FO4. Some replace existing weapons, and some are purely new additions. The mod also alters all remaining vanilla weapons - rebalancing them and changing how they behave - for consistency across the mod/game. More detail on those general changes can be found below in the Mod Features section.

This section focuses on the weapons; describing the new ones (including their weapon mods) and covering any significant changes to existing ones.

Some weapon mods can only be attached to weapon parts that support them - for example, under-barrel weapon attachments can typically only be attached to barrels that are physically long enough to support them. These barrels are said to have Under-Barrel "attach points" - in the same way that most barrels have Muzzle "attach points". Each relevant weapon entry below lists any attach points particular to certain weapon parts in brackets after their name. The common ones are listed as acronyms:

BAY - Bayonet

FG - Fore-Grip

LAM - Laser Aiming Module (Laser Sight)

MP - Mag Pull

TL - Tactical Light

UB - Under-Barrel

(Note that muzzle attachments are not covered here as for any weapon that has muzzle devices, *all* its barrel options have muzzle attach points.)

***Replacer Weapons***

(New weapons that outright replace vanilla weapons.)

AR-15

(Replaces the Assault Rifle)

It was somewhat infamously revealed in the Fallout 4 Art Book that the vanilla "Assault Rifle" was originally intended to be the "Machine Gun" - and more than anything it does resemble huge, water-cooled World-War-1-era machine guns. (Weapons that were notably designed to be mounted on vehicles/tripods.) The Fallout 4 Art Book mentioned that they "mainly wanted something beefy that would look right in the power armor's oversized hands". Unfortunately this obviously means that it *doesn't* look right - or at all practical - when used by anyone *not* in power armour. Its visual design is inappropriate to its gameplay role (in my opinion), so a replacement was needed.

There was really no contest; an American assault rifle? It had to be the iconic and ubiquitous AR-15 platform. (Which incorporates the well-known M16 and M4 variants.) This change to an AR-15 also allowed for a very modular setup when it comes to weapon mods - including entirely new features like the M203 under-barrel grenade launcher, which can be switched to via a hotkey.

- Receivers

--- Awful, Poor, Average, Good, Perfect

- Barrels

--- CQB Barrel

--- CQB RIS Barrel (FG, LAM, TL)

--- Carbine Barrel (BAY)

--- Carbine RIS Barrel (BAY, FG, LAM, TL)

--- Carbine Barrel + M203

--- Carbine RIS Barrel + M203 (LAM, TL)

--- A1 Barrel (BAY)

--- A2 Barrel (BAY)

--- A4 Barrel (BAY, FG, LAM, TL)

--- A2 Barrel + M203

--- A4 Barrel + M203 (LAM, TL)

- Stocks

--- Buffer Tube (No Stock)

--- M4 CQB Stock

--- M4 Stock

--- A2 Stock

- Magazines

--- 20 Rd USGI Magazine (MP)

--- 30 Rd USGI Magazine (MP)

--- 30 Rd EMAG Magazine (MP)

--- 60 Rd MAG5-60 Magazine

--- 100 Rd C-MAG Magazine

- Sights/Scopes

--- Carry Handle Sights

--- Flip-up Sights

--- Heads Up Reflex Sight

--- Railway Reflex Sight

--- M552 Holographic Sight

--- C79 Scope (4x)

--- C79 Scope (6x)

--- AccuPoint Scope (10x)

--- PVS-4 Starlight Scope (4x)

--- PVS-4 Starlight Scope (6x)

--- PVS-4 Starlight Scope (10x)

--- PVS-4 Recon Scope (4x)

--- PVS-4 Recon Scope (10x)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- Flash Hider

--- Micro Compensator

--- Three Port Muzzle Brake

--- NT4 Suppressor

- Trigger Groups (Fire-mode availability)

--- Semi-Auto Trigger Group

--- Select Fire (Semi, Burst) Trigger Group

--- Select Fire (Semi, Auto) Trigger Group

- Bayonets

--- M2 Bayonet

--- M7 Bayonet

- Mag Pulls (Faster reload speed)

--- Mag Pull Sleeve

--- Mag Pull Floor Plate

- Fore-grips (Reduce recoil, increase aim speed)

--- Vertical Foregrip

--- Grip Pod

- Laser Sights (Visible laser dot, increase hip-fire accuracy.)

--- DBAL-A2 Laser Sight

- Tactical Lights

--- G2 Tactical Light

Glock

(Replaces the 10mm Pistol)

The 10mm Pistol is possibly the epitome of comically over-sized weapons in vanilla FO4. (I expect this was a factor in Bethsoft's weapon designs due to the giant robot-hands given to power armour, as mentioned above.) The weapon is also covered in (apparently purely decorative) greebles, perhaps in an attempt to mask its over-sized nature.

I chose the Glock to replace the 10mm Pistol as the Glock 20 is a real-world 10mm pistol. Plus, the 10mm Pistol is treated as kind of the "default handgun" in the game, and Glocks are extremely common in (real-world) America, nicely fitting into that role. In addition, Glocks are (rarely) available as machine pistols in the form of the Glock 18 (plus less official modifications to other models), as a nice equivalent to the 10mm Pistol's automatic variants.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Standard Barrel

--- Long Barrel

--- Standard Ported Barrel

--- Long Ported Barrel

- Grips

--- Standard Grip

--- Flared Magwell (Faster reload speed)

--- GLR-440 Tactical Stock

- Magazines

--- Standard Magazine

--- Extended Magazine

- Sights

--- Iron Sights

--- Glow Sights

--- Reflex Sight (Dot)

--- Reflex Sight (Circle)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- Three Port Compensator

--- Osprey Suppressor

- Under-Barrel (Always available)

--- X2 Tactical Light

--- Glock Laser Sight

--- X2 Tactical Light + Laser Sight

Mini-14

(Replaces the Combat Rifle)

The Combat Rifle is an indistinct mash-up, looking sort of - but not really - like parts of several different real-world guns. And despite being called a rifle, by default it uses .45 ACP - a pistol cartridge - though you can somehow transform it to use .308; a (much larger) rifle cartridge, without changing its appearance in the process. Overall it's akin to - when making a racing game - adding a generic, nondescript motorbike, naming it "motor car", and letting you swap out its motorbike tyres for truck tyres if you like.

When faced with such a weird chimera of a gun, it was hard to know exactly what to replace it with. I went with the Mini-14 because it has a similar wood-and-steel aesthetic to the vanilla Combat Rifle, it fits the American setting quite well, it's actually a rifle - perhaps even a "combat rifle" - and it would be another weapon using the 5.56x45mm cartridge; surprisingly under-utilised in FO4.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Short Barrel

--- Standard Barrel (UB)

- Stocks

--- Wood Stock (Sawn-off)

--- Wood Stock

--- Factory Folding Stock (Incomplete)

--- Factory Folding Stock

--- Polymer Folding Stock (Incomplete)

--- Polymer Folding Stock

- Magazines

- Sights/Scopes

--- Iron Sights

--- Glow Sights

--- Railway Reflex Sight

--- C79 Scope (4x)

--- C79 Scope (6x)

--- 223 Scope (10x)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- Flash Hider

--- Micro Compensator

--- NT4 Suppressor

--- Select Fire (Semi, Burst, Auto) Trigger Group

--- Mag Pull Sleeve

--- Mag Pull Floor Plate

- Under-Barrel

--- M2 Bayonet

--- M7 Bayonet

--- G2 Tactical Light

--- LPC Laser Sight

USAS-12

(Replaces the Combat Shotgun)

The Combat Shotgun's model is almost identical to the Combat Rifle, which is pretty damning all on its own. So now it's like a generic, nondescript motorbike named "motor car" that uses drag-racing tyres or something, I don't know.

Magazine-fed, semi/auto combat shotguns aren't particularly common, so as with the Combat Rifle, what to replace the Combat Shotgun with wasn't immediately obvious. The USAS-12 *is* a magazine-fed, semi/auto combat shotgun, and beat out the Saiga-12 for inclusion in WARS as the Saiga-12 closely resembles the (Russian) AK platform, while the USAS-12 somewhat resembles the (American) AR-15 platform. That made it a better fit for Fallout's very American setting, I thought.

The AA-12 was another consideration, but I included an AA-12 in optional add-ons for both Weapon Mod Kits (WMK, for FO3) and Weapon Mods Expanded (WMX, for FNV), so I felt like a change this time. Plus, the USAS-12 was easier to create multiple weapon mods for.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Short Barrel

--- Standard Barrel (UB)

- Stocks

--- Buffer Tube (No Stock)

--- M4 CQB Stock

--- M4 Stock

--- Full Stock

- Magazines

--- 6 Rd Box Magazine

--- 10 Rd Box Magazine

--- 20 Rd Drum Magazine

- Sights/Scopes

--- Iron Sights

--- Glow Sights

--- Railway Reflex Sight

--- C79 Scope (4x)

--- C79 Scope (6x)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- Micro Compensator

--- Salvo 12 Suppressor

- Under-Barrel

--- M2 Bayonet

--- M7 Bayonet

--- G2 Tactical Light

--- LPC Laser Sight

***New Additions***

China Lake Grenade Launcher

Missile Launchers (and their ammo) are big and heavy, so 40mm grenade launchers offer a lighter - albeit less powerful - alternative.

The China Lake is a pump-action 40mm grenade launcher, able to hold up to four rounds at a time. Only a very small number were ever made (in the real world), but it appears in Fallout New Vegas. Here - as in FNV - it acts as a natural progression from the M79 Grenade Launcher.

- Receivers

- Stocks

--- Sawn-off Stock

--- Full Stock

- Sights/Scopes

--- Iron Sights

--- Reflex Sight

M107 Anti-Materiel Rifle

In the base game you can re-chamber the Hunting Rifle and Bolt-Action Pipe Gun from .308 to .50 BMG without changing their appearance, which is pretty ridiculous. (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Rifle_cartridge_comparison.jpg) To continue the tyre analogy used above, that's like trying to swap your average hatchback's tyres for monster-truck tyres. WARS removes those re-chamber options for those weapons, so dedicated anti-materiel rifles were needed in their place; something to use the .50 BMG ammo type.

The Barrett M82 (or M107 to use its US Military designation) is a semi-automatic .50 BMG anti-materiel rifle. Despite its "Light Fifty" nickname, it is very heavy; really you're not intended to be running around with one and shooting it while standing. You're unlikely to find a more powerful conventional firearm in the Commonwealth Wasteland, however.

Don't get hit. If you're in power armour, don't get hit *again*.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Short Barrel

--- Standard Barrel

- Sights/Scopes

--- Iron Sights

--- Railway Reflex Sight

--- C79 Scope (4x)

--- C79 Scope (6x)

--- Mk 4 Scope (10x)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- M82 Muzzle Brake

--- M107A1 Muzzle Brake

--- QDL Suppressor

--- G2 Tactical Light

--- DBAL-A2 Laser Sight

M79 Grenade Launcher

Again, Missile Launchers (and their ammo) are big and heavy, so 40mm grenade launchers offer a lighter - albeit less powerful - alternative.

The M79 is a single-shot, break-action 40mm grenade launcher, first seeing use in the Vietnam War. Like the China Lake, it also appears in Fallout New Vegas. Here - as in FNV - it acts as an entry-level grenade launcher.

It can be fitted with a cut-down stock and/or cut-down barrel, enhancing its portability. With the addition of a reflex sight, this also makes possible the "Pirate Gun" configuration apparently used by SEAL Team 6.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Sawn-off Barrel

--- Standard Barrel

- Stocks

--- Sawn-off Stock

--- Full Stock

- Sights/Scopes

--- Iron Sights

--- Reflex Sight

Makeshift Anti-Materiel Rifle

This is a makeshift "pipe gun" .50 BMG anti-materiel rifle. It is fictional, though based on the Soviet PTRD-41 anti-tank rifle. Like that weapon, it only holds one round at a time. In the Commonwealth Wasteland it acts as the Raiders' answer to the M107 Anti-Materiel Rifle, and is similarly heavy and unwieldy.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Stub Barrel

--- Short Barrel (BAY)

--- Long Barrel (BAY)

- Stocks

--- No Stock

--- Full Stock

--- Padded Stock

- Sights/Scopes

--- Iron Sights

--- Glow Sights

--- Pipe Sight

--- Pipe Glow Sight

--- Scope (4x)

--- Scope (6x)

--- Scope (10x)

--- Night Vision Scope (4x)

--- Night Vision Scope (6x)

--- Night Vision Scope (10x)

--- Recon Scope (4x)

--- Recon Scope (10x)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- Flash Hider

--- Muzzle Brake

--- Suppressor

- Bayonets

--- Large Bayonet

Mossberg 590 Shotgun

In vanilla FO4, shotgun progression jumps from a crusty old double-barrel shotgun directly to a magazine-fed, semi- or full-auto combat shotgun. ...Where's the pump-action shotgun? Pump-action shotguns are *incredibly* common, and magazine-fed combat shotguns are not. This was a glaring omission back in FO3, and the same is still true in FO4.

It was a toss-up between the Remington M870 and the Mossberg 590 - both extremely common pump-action shotguns in the USA. I went with the Mossberg in the end largely due to the resources I had to work with during WARS' development.

Note that FO4 doesn't support correct "round by round" reload animations (as seen in FNV for example), so the reload animation always shows the maximum number of rounds being loaded - like the vanilla Lever Rifle. I may look at scripted solutions to this later on sometime, but animation and script lag issues are likely to be an obstacle there.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Short Barrel

--- Standard Barrel

--- Standard Barrel + Ext. Tube (UB)

- Stocks

--- Sawn-off Stock, Wood

--- Full Stock, Wood

--- Pistol Grip, Polymer

--- Full Stock, Polymer

- Sights/Scopes

--- Bead Sight

--- Ghost Ring Sights

--- Railway Reflex Sight

--- C79 Scope (4x)

--- C79 Scope (6x)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- Micro Compensator

--- Salvo 12 Suppressor

- Heat Shield (Increased durability)

--- Heat Shield

- Under-Barrel

--- M2 Bayonet

--- M7 Bayonet

--- G2 Tactical Light

--- LPC Laser Sight

- Shell Holder (Faster reload speed)

--- Shell Holder

SA80

The SA80 ("Small Arms for the 1980s") platform incorporates the L85A1 (and later the L85A2), the service rifle of the British Armed Forces from the late 1980s onwards. It also includes the L22 carbine variant and the L86 Light Support Weapon - the latter notably appearing in Fallout 2. WARS additionally includes a couple of experimental versions of the L22 carbine; the 1989 and 1994 prototype variants - just to provide for more variety in barrel options. These are referred to in WARS as the XL22E1 and XL22E2 - terms that I made up, but based on names used for other SA80 prototypes.

Being a bullpup weapon that fires the same 5.56x45mm round as the AR-15, in WARS the SA80 performs similarly, but with faster aim speed and heavier recoil.

The L85A1 was notoriously unreliable, and later replaced by the much improved L85A2. To account for this - and in contrast to most other weapons in WARS - the SA80 has two tiers of receivers; five A1 receivers and five A2 receivers. The A1 receivers are easier to craft than the A2 receivers, but less durable and typically slower to reload.

Note that a barrel option for the L123A2 UGL (under-barrel grenade launcher) is included - with placeholder models/textures - but currently hidden from the player as it lacks animations. This may be fully implemented in a later update to the mod.

- Receivers

--- A1 - Awful, Poor, Average, Good, Perfect

--- A2 - Awful, Poor, Average, Good, Perfect

- Barrels

--- XL22E1 Barrel (Integral vertical foregrip)

--- XL22E2 Barrel

--- L22A2 Barrel (Integral vertical foregrip) (LAM, TL)

--- A1 Barrel

--- A2 Barrel (FG, LAM, TL)

--- L123A2 UGL Barrel (Currently hidden)

--- L86 Barrel (LAM, TL)

- Stocks

--- Integral Stock

--- LSW Stock

- Magazines

- Sights/Scopes

--- Carry Handle Sights

--- Railway Reflex Sight

--- SUSAT Scope (4x)

--- SUSAT Scope (6x)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- A1 Flash Hider

--- A2 Flash Hider

--- L3A1 Bayonet

--- Micro Compensator

--- NT4 Suppressor

--- Mag Pull Sleeve

--- Mag Pull Floor Plate

- Fore-grips (Reduce recoil, increase aim speed)

--- Vertical Foregrip

--- Grip Pod

- Laser Sights (Visible laser dot, increase hip-fire accuracy.)

--- DBAL-A2 Laser Sight

- Tactical Lights

--- G2 Tactical Light

Skorpion vz. 61

This is a large-ish machine pistol (or smallish submachine gun, perhaps) using the same .32 ACP or .380 ACP ammo as the Walther PPK. (The standard version of the unique "Deliverer" - see below.) It acts as an early-game SMG; more accurate and reliable than the Pipe Gun, though perhaps less powerful.

- Receivers

- Barrels

--- Standard Barrel

--- Long Barrel

- Stocks

--- No Stock

--- Wire Stock

--- Wood Stock

- Magazines

--- 10 Rd Magazine

--- 20 Rd Magazine

--- 40 Rd Drum Magazine

- Sights/Scopes

--- Iron Sights

--- Reflex Sight (Dot)

--- Reflex Sight (Circle)

- Muzzles

--- Bare Muzzle

--- Suppressor

--- X2 Tactical Light

--- Laser Sight

--- X2 Tactical Light + Laser Sight

***Altered Vanilla Weapons***

AEG10 Gatling Laser

Here I derived the model name from the AEP/AER naming convention in Fallout lore, as the Gatling Laser's design incorporates parts that are very similar to AER9 Laser Rifle parts.

AER9 Laser Gun

AER is a lore-based name for Laser Rifles in Fallout - previously used for rifles only. (AEP being used for pistols.) Here all "Laser Gun" weapons are considered AER9 variants as that's what they look like. AEP7 Laser Pistols (from FO3/FNV) actually look relatively different and used Small Energy Cells rather than Micro Fusion Cells, while all "Laser Guns" in FO4 use the latter.

Alien Blaster

Several vanilla weapons had no receiver options at the weapon modification workbench, but WARS gives them some, for the sake of consistency. This is *not* the case with the Alien Blaster, as it's an alien weapon; you have no idea how it really works! It's a powerful weapon, but you get what you get; it can't be modified as heavily as most other weapons.

Cryolator

Though the weapon ostensibly uses "Cryo Cells" as ammo, in the base game the weapon model visibly has a Fusion Cell... which is plugged in backwards. I don't think it will Just Work like that... so these things are fixed in WARS. The Cryolator now visibly uses Cryo Cells, and they're even plugged in the right way around.

CZ53 Minigun

The CZ53 model name comes from Fallout lore.

The vanilla Minigun is a huge, intimidating-looking, multi-barrel... pea-shooter. It has a high rate of fire, but unfortunately BGS chose the simplest/laziest method of balancing against that; giving the weapon *very* low per-shot damage. It's a well known tactic at this point and not well liked. I've never seen anyone argue that the vanilla Minigun's stats were well chosen - quite the opposite; I've seen many mods that change those stats. WARS does this too, of course. WARS drastically increases the Minigun's damage, but does the same with its weight and recoil.

Its fictional 5mm ammo has been changed into a relatively low-power 7.62x51mm cartridge (A.K.A. .308, basically), as the vanilla Minigun is simply far too large to be using such a small cartridge, and 7.62x51mm is what real-world miniguns of this size generally use. The "5mm" ammo pickup even has "7.62x51mm" written on the side of it, tellingly.

I specified that it now uses a "low-power" 7.62x51mm/.308 cartridge basically so that while the Minigun is doing far more damage than before, it's still less damage per-shot than (say) the R700 Rifle. However, if you really want to, you can swap the more powerful .308 ammo usually found/used with the R700 into the Minigun to really super-charge it... at the cost of burning through more valuable ammo at an incredible rate. Likewise you can use that weaker, more plentiful ammo in the R700 if you want.

Fishing Gaff

(Pole Hook)

"Fishing Gaff" is a more specific and descriptive term than the vague "Pole Hook", so I changed its name.

FT13 Flamethrower

(Flamer)

"FT13" is stamped on the side of the Flamer, so I'm considering that its model name.

The vanilla Flamer is very short range. In WARS its projectiles have been altered to have greater range and act as more of a stream of flames, affected by gravity. Surfaces hit by the flames are now also set on fire for a short while.

Note that the Flamethrower's flame effects may not look very good unless you go to your \Documents\My Games\Fallout4\ directory, open Fallout4Prefs.ini and, under [Particles], increase iMaxDesired to at least 5000. (This shouldn't have much - if any - of an impact on performance.)

Gamma Gun

Using the Gamma Gun now also irradiates the user by a small amount with each shot.

Greener Harpoon Gun

(Harpoon Gun)

The Harpoon Gun added by Far Harbor is based on the Greener Whaling Harpoon Gun, which dates back to 1837 and is considered the first successful harpoon gun.

Handmade AKM

(Handmade Rifle)

The Handmade Rifle added by Nuka-World is fairly obviously based on the famous, real-world AKM/AK-47. A cobbled-together and largely handmade variant of it, though; hence "Handmade AKM".

In vanilla FO4, this is one of several improbably left-handed weapons that were used right-handed anyway. When you see game developers do this, it's because they believe it will show more detail on a weapon without requiring as much work on animations. In WARS it has been flipped horizontally into a right-handed weapon and given new animations to match.

IEW Laser Gun

(Institute Laser Gun)

"IEW" is an acronym for "Institute Energy Weapon" and was made up for WARS. The IEW model name also features dynamic suffixes based on how the weapon is configured, ending up with names like "IEW-APS7 Auto-Laser Pistol Scattergun" and "IEW-SR9 Laser Sniper Rifle".

Jian Sword

(Chinese officer sword)

"Jian" is the real-world name for this type of double-edged Chinese straight-sword.

Laser Musket

In WARS the Laser Musket requires no ammo (reminiscent of the Recharger weapons in Fallout: New Vegas), and is instead charged by cranking its handle. Cranking the handle multiple times still charges the weapon further, providing for a more powerful single shot. The trade-off for the incredible no-ammo-required benefit is that the Laser Musket does much less damage than (say) an AER Laser weapon - at least with a single crank.

The automatic variant of the Laser Musket works the same, requiring no ammo; only several cranks after every 20 shots (i.e. a reload). Additionally, automatic Laser Muskets can now be modified. Along with the usual Laser Musket modifications, the Automatic Capacitor itself can be swapped out and installed into other Laser Muskets, though it can't be crafted from components like most weapon mods; it is semi-unique.

M42 Fat Man

The M42 model name comes from Fallout lore, the weapon's full official name being the "M42 Tactical Nuclear Catapult".

Makeshift Knife/Machete/Cutlass

(Disciples Blade)

WARS adds this weapon to the greater Commonwealth Wasteland, so its name was changed to reflect that it is no longer associated solely with the Disciples.

Marlin 1895G

(Lever Action Rifle)

This weapon is based (mostly) on the real-world Marlin 1895G lever rifle. It will be named a "Mare's Leg" or "Guide Gun" depending on its configuration.

Like the Handmade AKM, this was another improbably left-handed weapon that all characters used right-handed anyway. It has also been flipped horizontally and given new animations in WARS. Beyond that, it now has a Shell Holder weapon mod that increases reload speed, and can only be attached to the full buttstock.

MPL Plasma Gun

"MPL" stands for "Military Plasma [weapon]", and is derived from the MPLX Novasurge from FO3 - Mothership Zeta. The MPL model name also features dynamic suffixes based on how the weapon is configured, for example "MPL-PS3 Plasma Pistol Scattergun".

R700 Rifle

(Hunting Rifle)

This is based on the real-world Remington Model 700 bolt-action rifle.

Another improbably left-handed weapon that all characters used right-handed anyway. It has also been flipped horizontally and given new animations in WARS. On a more minor note, the bayonet's missing handle in first-person has been restored, too.

S&W M29 Revolver

(.44 Pistol)

This is based on the real-world Smith & Wesson Model 29 .44 Magnum revolver.

In the base game there are actually three separate variants of this weapon; the standard .44 Pistol, a basically identical clone found in certain areas added by Nuka-World, and the "Western Revolver" also added by Nuka-World. WARS condenses these into one weapon (built on the standard .44 Pistol) and makes all weapon mods that were previously restricted to one variant or another all available on this one weapon. (If you obtain one of the two deprecated variants - e.g. via another mod spawning them somewhere - they should still work, but may not have the full complement of weapon mods.)

WARS also gives the M29 a new weapon mod on the sights/scopes slot: an LPC Laser Sight with incorporated iron-sights. (This is a fairly direct reference to certain 1980s action movies, yes.)

Spadroon Sword

(Revolutionary sword)

"Spadroon" is the real-world name for this kind of light, single-edged sword.

Thompson Submachine Gun

(Submachine Gun)

This weapon is based on the iconic real-world Tommy Gun. WARS gives this weapon all-new models, textures and animations, as the vanilla Submachine Gun is somewhat misshapen and inaccurate to the real-world Thompson. The weapon was given several new weapon mods as well; notably the choice between a standard horizontal fore-grip and the iconic Thompson vertical fore-grip, plus four magazine options; 20 and 30 round stick magazines along with 50 and 100 round drum magazines.

The Thompson now also has semi-auto and select-fire trigger group options, and the very odd "Short Stock" was changed to simply "No Stock" - far more likely than someone sawing a full buttstock in half and then going to the trouble of fashioning an all-new buttplate to fit the now smaller butt end of the stock. Finally, the vanilla reflex sight was replaced with a new addition; the Nydar Gun Sight - a commercial reflex sight dating back to the 1940s; marketed for use on hunting shotguns.

The unique "Silver Shroud Gun" also benefits from new models and textures, was given a Legendary effect, and is now called the "Silver Submachine Gun".

Volkssturmgewehr

(Radium Rifle)

This weapon is based on the real-world Volkssturmgewehr ("People's Assault Rifle"... or "Folk's Storm Gun" as a better/worse translation), a Nazi last-ditch weapon from near the end of World War II. The real Volkssturmgewehr is not encrusted with sci-fi junk and does not use .45 ACP - and WARS makes this true in FO4 also. In WARS the sci-fi junk has been split off into several "Gamma Infuser" weapon mods, and the weapon has been given its true-to-life 7.92x33mm Kurz ammo.

The standard Volkssturmgewehr may be found in the Commonwealth Wasteland - usually in the hands of raiders as it's not a very high-quality weapon - while Children of Atom may carry variants modified with "Gamma Infusers" - restoring them to something more like the vanilla "Radium Rifle". Note that while these Gamma Infuser modifications add Radiation Damage to each shot, each shot also irradiates the user by a small amount.

VMLS Missile Launcher

(Missile Launcher)

The "VMLS" model name stands for "Variable Missile Launch System" and was made up for WARS. "Variable" is in reference to the different capacity options available for the weapon, and the VMLS designation will dynamically update in reference to this too. E.g. VMLS-4M for the "Quad barrel" variant.

The Targeting Computer is now on its own slot - rather than being considered a "scope" - so it can be used at the same time as a scope.

Walther PPK

(Deliverer)

"Deliverer" still exists as a unique weapon, but regular Walther PPKs (as that is the real-world weapon Deliverer is based on) can now be found in the Wasteland too. They now use .32 ACP or .380 ACP ammo rather than 10mm Auto. (The latter is far too big for such a small handgun, and the former two are used by the real thing.) This means that both the standard and unique variants of the weapon are much less powerful than in the vanilla game - the Walther PPK is a small pistol using a small cartridge, after all.

XM76 Gauss Rifle

The XM76 model name was made up for WARS, though it was based on the M72 Gauss Rifle from FO2 and Fallout Tactics, since both weapons use the same 2mm EC ammo. "XM" for "experimental model" since that better suits the somewhat jury-rigged appearance it has (when certain weapon mods are attached, if nothing else).

Note that the suppressor option has been removed as gauss weapons use electromagnets to propel their projectiles (rather than a contained explosion), so they can't be suppressed the same way that conventional firearms can. Instead, to approximate their unique function, the Gauss Rifle is now quite loud when in bad condition and becomes quieter the better condition it's in. Its projectile however is supersonic (hypersonic, even) and therefore Very Loud regardless.

Also, just so people know, while I'm waiting for the AmmoTweaks update, I'm taking the opportunity to re-learn how to animate. This is kind of a big deal for me, as I haven't done any 3D animation in nearly fifteen years. I can't even remember if I was any good. The Thompson SMG, Barrett M107 and Skorpion vz. 61 (and ideally the M79 grenade launcher) all really need animations though, so...

Hitman's helped me out with some advice and source files (which I really appreciate), and I think I've got the technical process worked out now - insofar as importing and exporting the animations goes, at least. I had a bit of trouble with the export for a bit due to (as it turned out) the contents of a particular text file in Shade's anim kit that the exporter uses being capitalised incorrectly. Yeesh.

Next up is actually animating something. I think I'll try starting off easy by adapting War Daddy's SMG set to have stick mag and vertical fore-grip animations, and adapting Hitman's Kiparis set to better fit the Skorpion.

Part of me wants to see a unique L85A1 named "The Civil Servant." Why,you may ask? Because it doesn't work,and you can't fire it! But,that's mostly for a gaff. Good to see that weapon list,and it makes me really chuffed to see the names I suggested get included (IEW and VMLS,to be specific),so there's that.