[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making it double action like it is irl would make sense, an idea would be to give it have an option to either fire it in single action mode (Higher accuracy, slower fire rate), or double action being the opposite. Have it be a slot like the semi/select fire mods.

I've had single/double action as "fire modes" for the revolver/s down in my notes for a while now as a possibility - and I do have War Daddy's permission to use his animations for that, so there's a pretty good chance of all that happening.

After quickly checking the planned changes to perks... I'm going to assume that Rifleman will be for semiautomatic,bolt-action,pump-action,lever-action,and one-and-done longarms,with Gunslinger for sidearms of the same,and Commando for anything full auto. Which perk will be for burst fire weapons?

After quickly checking the planned changes to perks... I'm going to assume that Rifleman will be for semiautomatic,bolt-action,pump-action,lever-action,and one-and-done longarms,with Gunslinger for sidearms of the same,and Commando for anything full auto. Which perk will be for burst fire weapons?

I vote Commando, just to keep Rifleman from covering so much of the arsenal. Really, I think Commando should do something else entirely, and automatics should just fall under Rifleman or Gunslinger, according to their frame.

The firemode coverage of perks doesn't really make sense now that a lot of weapons are select-fire. Personally I would go with making rifleman cover "civilian" weapons like the R700 and the Mini-14, and Commando cover the more military-styled weapons like the AR15 and L85.

Currently, burst weapons (or weapons in burst mode, I should say) are treated the same as automatic, as far as perks are concerned. I mentioned a while ago though that I was vaguely considering changing Commando to affect just SMGs, rather than any weapon currently in auto mode.

I was a bit unsure about that at the time since there aren't many SMGs in the game compared to other weapon types, even with WARS. Thinking about it again though, if I classify it as "SMGs plus any pistol calibre weapon with a shoulder stock attached", that should broaden its coverage a bit. Maybe laser weapons with stocks too (since they have no recoil in WARS and the pistol calibres have lowish recoil), to give it some Energy weapon coverage. That means it would cover:

- AER Laser guns (with stocks)

- Glock pistols (with stocks)

- IEW Laser guns (with stocks)

- Laser Musket (with stocks) (This one feels a bit weird, but it is a laser weapon. Hmm.)

- Pipe Gun (with stocks)

- Skorpion

- Thompson SMG

I'll give some more thought to the laser weapon part - I'm not sure about that - but still; any opinions on this approach for the Commando perk?

Oh - something to keep in mind maybe is that currently in WARS, the weapon skill perks only affect hip-fire accuracy (and disarm/stagger/cripple/etc chance at higher ranks). It still sounds hopeful that I can also have them affect recoil control via AmmoTweaks, though.

I've been thinking about it some more and maybe I could have the Science! perk cover all Energy weapons (regardless of configuration - e.g. stock vs. no stock) - leaving Commando to just cover SMGs plus pistol calibre weapons with a stock. At higher ranks it (the Science! perk) could add a chance for Energy weapons to set enemies on fire, perhaps.

I guess it would make the Science! perk relatively powerful since it already unlocks crafting recipes, but it does require a lot more points in its governing attribute than the existing weapon skill perks do. Giving INT a weapon skill perk line might provide "nerdy", all-in on INT characters some more combat ability earlier on, too.

I do like the science idea for energy weapons. So commando/rifleman would then essentially be separated by bullet type, excluding normal pistols for gunslinger. I think that's a good line to draw, but what about coverage again? Are there enough stock attachments for the various pistols to bring the amount of guns up? I guess there are always pipe guns, which would be predominantly pistol caliber.

Maybe adding in short-barreled carbine-style variants of rifles could help it a bit, as they're closer to SMGs in usage. But, that might give commando weapons with enough range to make rifleman semi-useless except for sniper playstyles. And there's the consistency issue of having a carbine that you have lots of knowledge about how to use, putting a longer barrel on, and suddenly that goes away.

Edited by kuzi127