[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Hey there Antisar! How are you doing today? I hope that you have a great time and even WARS's work in progress so far. My question to you is related to Tatical Reload mod. You did heard about this mod before, but the question ism it is possible that this WARS will get an optional patch to make it compatible for the Tactical Reload in future time after the full version release of WARS?

Frustratingly, I haven't had a lot of time to work on the mods lately as my parents have been around a lot. That's because my dad needed another operation to remove some more cancer though, so, y'know... it is important. There were promising signs that it hadn't (and shouldn't?) spread any further, so hopefully he'll be alright. Still, it's been a stressful time, as you can probably imagine.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of doing all the factory crafting stuff for ammo; all the pistol rounds are done now. This involves working out - at least in a preliminary sense - what all the ammo sub-types are actually going to be, so it takes longer than you might think. Moving onto the shotgun and rifle ammo now.

(Also I rebalanced values for meat in PEACE yesterday; trying to account better for just how much of it you can get via butchery.)

To answer your question though: I do want to support Tactical Reload, and it probably will be a post-release thing, yeah. Reload animations take a ton of work. If I can, generally speaking, just adapt existing reload animations by removing the bit where the action is cycled or whatever though, that should speed things up a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny coincidence; I was just coming here to post a few shots of some things I did recently:

- 40x46mm Grenades 01
- 40x46mm Grenades 02
- 40x46mm Grenades 03
- 9x19mm 01
- .380 ACP and 7.92x33mm Kurz

While I've mostly been working on the mammoth (and tedious) task of setting up all the factory crafting stuff, some of the ammo types are added by WARS, so they lacked art assets. Here and there I've put together some new ones for them. That includes 40x46mm grenades for the M79 and China Lake (and under-barrel launchers):

- High Explosive (considered the default, basically)
- Incendiary
- Nuka

- Cryo
- Plasma
- Pulse

- Buckshot
- Practice

There's also High Explosive Dual Purpose, which I did a while ago for the SA80. HEDP has a shaped charge for armour penetration, but also puts out fragments for anti-personnel, so... it should be interesting to use.

The buckshot round turns a grenade launcher into a big, souped-up shotgun.

The plan with the Practice round is for it to not do any explosive damage (though a direct hit would still hurt), but just create a puff of orange powder where it hits. The idea is for it to be useful to gauge distance for a follow up shot with a more lethal grenade, while also potentially attracting enemies to the point of impact...

I'm not sure yet how well that will work in practice, so we'll see how it goes.

For the 9x19mm, I did do alternate textures for each sub-type (FMJ, AP, JHP, etc) - but those are mostly variants on the AP one seen there, with different markings and colours. I don't think I'll do that for all calibres; it's quite a lot of work.

I've split the vaguely defined .38 Round into .380 ACP and .38 Spc. I'm currently using the vanilla assets for .38 Spc, but I made a new ammo box for .380 ACP.

WARS transforms the Radium Rifle into the Volkssturmgewehr it was based on, and makes it use 7.92x33mm Kurz (rather than .45 ACP, which is... not accurate) - so I made a new ammo box for that calibre too.

Hope all is well with you and your family Antistar, sounds like you are in a tough situation right now.

Thanks - yeah, it's still been kind of rough. My dad had some more surgery just a few days ago, actually. Mainly just to check out how the previous operation went, I think - and the fact that we're still waiting for more information on that is probably good news. Bad news we'd hear about immediately, I think.

It's been distracting and hectic lately.

Looks good, I don't have much else to say on those pics.

(Though I feel like I should mention, looking at the vanilla cartridge model of the .38 round,

with it being the same model as the 10mm it (to me atleast, if we are to think of it as a .38/9mm round) looks closer to a deep-set-bullet version of .38 ACP/Super than a rimmed revolver round or the stubby .380.)

I am now wondering though, with the recent unfortunate news on the nexus,

and with you making models for the mod-added cartridges like .380 and 9mm Para (which you some time back mentioned that you probably wouldn't have to do, as I seem to recall (might be remembering wrong though)),

do you know if the AmmoTweaks update still is something that will ever happen?

And would isathar still upload it to nexus (doesn't really seem so to me. I'm not faulting him for that), or somewhere else, and is it still the framework you will utilize for WARS?

(And my apologies if you don't know the answers here and I'm wasting your time (and apologies to isathar if I'm saying something he finds stupid),

or I'm being a dummie and it's actually clearly known what's happening with AmmoTweaks after this long a time and the recent nexus news.)

(I also feel tempted to ask your opinion on the recent news, but this probably isn't a fitting thread for that and it feels out of line.)

Completely unrelated, I have some questions on some of the models in WARS:

1. As you mentioned some time back (and as is seen by looking at it (in) ingame (pics/vids)) the model of the Skorpion is scaled larger than it is in reality.

When that was first shown and mentioned I didn't have much interest in the Skorpion (so didn't bother to ask),

but I have since gotten more interested in PDW and machine-pistol type weapons, and as I'm in the small percentage of mod users who care much about proper size-scaling of mod weapons,

I thought I'd ask if you might scale down its size (so as to be more accurate to the real gun) sometime in the future.

(I know it can be (or just is) a pain to refit everything else (animations, etc.) around a new size scale, but I thought I'd ask.)

2. The A1 barrel for the AR-15, in the pics you have shown of it, doesn't have a bayonet lug, but in the weapon list in this thread you have written that it will take a bayonet.

So how will that work, will one be able to attach a bayonet to it without a bayonet lug or have you added a bayonet lug to the A1 barrel after posting those pics of it, or something else?

(This is very petty of me, I know.)

3. The back of the slide on the Glock (as far as I've seen) looks a bit odd, it is shown as a solid block/square with the cut-outs on the striker plate and back of the slide just painted on

and the pieces of the frame and trigger mechanism that are cleared by and/or sit in those cut-outs are modelled as part of the slide and also just painted on

(I hope I wrote that in an understandable way).

With several other existing mod-weapon Glocks for Fo4 that don't have this quirk in the model (and the 1911 in WARS also being free of this kind of "issue"),

I was wondering if this might get fixed sometime in the future (also a petty issue, I know).

And again, apologies if these are/sound demanding,

just thought I'd make known some of the quibbles I had with some of WARS's models, in case you might consider them. Again, sorry if I/they sound entitled.

(And also apologies if I wrote something(s) incorrectly or in a way that can't be / isn't understood properly when read.)

And again, I wish good health to your father (and family, and you), I know the opposite situation all too well.

(And yes, this is a bit late to make a post, (what is atleast to me) the next day after your one above.

I literally (not literally) sat on this post all night and morning, being too tired and lazy (and slow in writing) to finish it until now.)

Edited by Tenurialrope3

Looks good, I don't have much else to say on those pics.

(Though I feel like I should mention, looking at the vanilla cartridge model of the .38 round,

with it being the same model as the 10mm it (to me atleast, if we are to think of it as a .38/9mm round) looks closer to a deep-set-bullet version of .38 ACP/Super than a rimmed revolver round or the stubby .380.)

Art assets for the rounds themselves (as opposed to the ammo boxes) are probably going to be replaced with more accurate ones - either by me or AmmoTweaks.

I am now wondering though, with the recent unfortunate news on the nexus,

and with you making models for the mod-added cartridges like .380 and 9mm Para (which you some time back mentioned that you probably wouldn't have to do, as I seem to recall (might be remembering wrong though)),

do you know if the AmmoTweaks update still is something that will ever happen?

And would isathar still upload it to nexus (doesn't really seem so to me. I'm not faulting him for that), or somewhere else, and is it still the framework you will utilize for WARS?

(And my apologies if you don't know the answers here and I'm wasting your time (and apologies to isathar if I'm saying something he finds stupid),

or I'm being a dummie and it's actually clearly known what's happening with AmmoTweaks after this long a time and the recent nexus news.)

(I also feel tempted to ask your opinion on the recent news, but this probably isn't a fitting thread for that and it feels out of line.)

I was talking to isathar the other day, and this didn't come up - so as far as I know, plans for releasing AmmoTweaks v2 haven't changed.

Re: the stuff about the Nexus not always permanently deleting files but instead hiding them: I've never wanted to delete anything I've put on the Nexus, so I don't see that affecting me. Even something like Ammo Spread Effect Fixer, which ostensibly hasn't been useful in around a decade, since the bug it addressed was fixed in an official FNV patch - that's still there. Just in case someone needs it for something. :wink:

It could be that certain other people/mods face certain circumstances in which this stuff might be a problem, to be fair? I don't know.

In any case: No changes to how I plan to release WARS and PEACE (or any other mods), in other words. Beyond how it affects WARS, this topic isn't relevant here, so I don't really have anything else to say about it.

Completely unrelated, I have some questions on some of the models in WARS:

1. As you mentioned some time back (and as is seen by looking at it (in) ingame (pics/vids)) the model of the Skorpion is scaled larger than it is in reality.

When that was first shown and mentioned I didn't have much interest in the Skorpion (so didn't bother to ask),

but I have since gotten more interested in PDW and machine-pistol type weapons, and as I'm in the small percentage of mod users who care much about proper size-scaling of mod weapons,

I thought I'd ask if you might scale down its size (so as to be more accurate to the real gun) sometime in the future.

(I know it can be (or just is) a pain to refit everything else (animations, etc.) around a new size scale, but I thought I'd ask.)

I'd certainly prefer it to not be a little over-sized, but resizing all the parts and attachments so they fit together - and re-doing all the animations - is a ton of work, so it's a very low priority.

(For anyone who doesn't know/remember why the Skorpion is a little bigger than it should be, it's because I originally - before I bit the bullet and learned the FO4 animation workflow myself- sized it to hopefully fit Hitman's Kiparis animations.)

2. The A1 barrel for the AR-15, in the pics you have shown of it, doesn't have a bayonet lug, but in the weapon list in this thread you have written that it will take a bayonet.

So how will that work, will one be able to attach a bayonet to it without a bayonet lug or have you added a bayonet lug to the A1 barrel after posting those pics of it, or something else?

(This is very petty of me, I know.)

It's a little fudged, but the bayonet lug is there when a bayonet is attached; in other words it's part of the bayonet omods. It's been a while, but from memory I did that so that it wouldn't clash with other attachments.

3. The back of the slide on the Glock (as far as I've seen) looks a bit odd, it is shown as a solid block/square with the cut-outs on the striker plate and back of the slide just painted on

and the pieces of the frame and trigger mechanism that are cleared by and/or sit in those cut-outs are modelled as part of the slide and also just painted on

(I hope I wrote that in an understandable way).

With several other existing mod-weapon Glocks for Fo4 that don't have this quirk in the model (and the 1911 in WARS also being free of this kind of "issue"),

I was wondering if this might get fixed sometime in the future (also a petty issue, I know).

I didn't make the Glock model myself, of course - it's by Tigg. Having a look at it now, those parts are modelled separately, but it looks like I didn't separate them out properly, so the bit that should be part of the frame (more or less) is currently moving with the slide. I've made a note to fix that - so thanks for pointing it out.

And again, I wish good health to your father (and family, and you), I know the opposite situation all too well.

Thanks. :)

I can definitely see where you're coming from with proper size-scaling of mod weapons Tenurialrope, albeit I give more leeway for slightly over-scaled PDWs and submachine guns, over-scaled pistols though I take too much notice of (hence I still don't have an M1911A1 I'll use.)

P.S Antistar your M1911's the best.

You mentioned high explosive dual purpose for the SA80, will these particular 40mm grenades also be available to the AR15's M203 underbarrel grenade launcher?

Hope your dad is recovering well after the surgery after the initial operation, don't imagine the repetition not taking its toll on his body, also hope you and the rest of your family are well.

I can definitely see where you're coming from with proper size-scaling of mod weapons Tenurialrope, albeit I give more leeway for slightly over-scaled PDWs and submachine guns, over-scaled pistols though I take too much notice of (hence I still don't have an M1911A1 I'll use.)

P.S Antistar your M1911's the best.

You mentioned high explosive dual purpose for the SA80, will these particular 40mm grenades also be available to the AR15's M203 underbarrel grenade launcher?

Hope your dad is recovering well after the surgery after the initial operation, don't imagine the repetition not taking its toll on his body, also hope you and the rest of your family are well.

Thanks - the M1911 was quite a lot of work.

Yes, all 40x46mm grenades will be usable by the M79, China Lake, M203 and L123A2 UGL. It's just that I had already made the HEDP model/textures back when I did the SA80.

And thanks again, yeah; the last two surgeries my dad had were much less invasive than what he had around Christmas-time, so recovery was pretty quick.

Yes, isathar just told me about that. It's also available on GitHub: AmmoTweaks v1.1

Speaking of which, I was wrong about plans re: AmmoTweaks v2 (a.k.a. TweaksFramework) being released on the Nexus. I think the plan now is for it to be released on GitHub and ModDB. I'm not isathar though of course, so don't quote me on that. ;)

You can definitely tell how much work went into it, it's become one of my defacto top sidearms alongside Icestorms HK MK23, actually I currently have 5 additional bodies using it as well.

Good to know on the HEDP rounds availability, thank you for the information Antistar, be interesting if someone makes the FN40GL as an addition to the SCAR-L and SCAR-H mods, with compatibility for your HEDP rounds. Can you actually apply armour penetration to explosives by base game standards?

I think that by default, armour penetration only work for regular ballistic damage. I remember isathar talking a while ago about having done some fixes/expansions to that in TweaksFramework so that it works for other damage types too, though.

In any case, I believe the armour penetration part of HEDP comes from the shaped charge directing a stream of molten copper forward when the shell detonates, so I'll probably have the armour penetration be part of the damage done via a direct hit, rather than the explosion. In other words, the same way as the armour penetration from a hit with a regular ballistic weapon.