[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Looks great as usual. You ever consider the SKS? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17298/?

An SKS is another weapon that would be cool to have, but hard to imagine getting the time to implement. Still, I added it to the list of possible weapons in the OP.

I like the newest addition to your pack, the Volkssturmgewehr. It looks the part; common low end weapon that would be encountered often in the wasteland.

I have a few suggestions I would like to throw at you (feel free to duck at any time); but seeing the way you are handling the progress of your mod, I don't think you need ANY guidance whatsoever...

Here goes:

I think that the Volkssturmgewehr could use the option of the 9mm Parabellum. The 9mm is an extremely common caliber in real life and likely in the F4 wasteland. I am not a gunsmith -just an educated guess.

Also, a nice add-on to your some of your guns would be a fuel filter suppressor (such as the Napa 4003). It is a real life mod gun owners use to get a (low cost) silenced weapon. I can easily see it being used the bad parts of town (read everywhere). It actually looks nice too.

I also believe that the game could use a good cheap SMG. The M3 fills that gap to an extend (its a .45 though) but I have a candidate that might be looking for a job; The K-50M. Basically its a tiny AK based on the PPSh-41. Drum magazine compatible. 7.62x25 Tokarev Ammo. And to sweeten the pot even more, there is already a model of it out there by RedRogueXIII...

Here's a pic

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/18/17272/k50m1.jpg

So there's my deliveries in your suggestion box, feel free to use/ignore/recycle them. Just keep hammering at that project, it's a good one and we are patient.

Cheers.

I don't think 9x19mm would suit the Volkssturmgewehr; it's too different to 7.92x33mm Kurz, as passinglurker and Moldy mentioned. I'll be changing the semi-auto pipe guns to use 9x19mm rather than .38 Spc (and ideally replacing those weapons with Sten guns if I get time at some point), so there'll be no shortage of low-end SMGs using 9x19mm. I also still want to include a MAC-10 (.45 ACP) and Skorpion vz. 61 (.32 ACP), so... SMGs for everybody!

A fuel filter suppressor does sound like it would fit into Fallout quite well - and the pipe guns already have oil filter suppressors, of course. I'm not sure where I'd use something like that in WARS off the top of my head, but I'll keep it in mind.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the pipe weapons get an overhaul too, they are quite silly joke weapons right now. I think the main attraction of these weapons should be how the ammo type can be changed instead of just joke weapons they are right now. They sure still going to be inferior to the proper weapons but at least no longer that silly.

Pipe Pistol/SMG - .32 ACP, 9mm para , 10mm, .45 ACP, .50AE (I think this cannot be used with full auto mod?)
Pipe Revolver - .38, .357, .44, .454(maybe)

Pipe Rifle (this should be entirely split from the pipe pistol)- 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 7.92mm kurz, maybe if added 5.45mm and 5.8mm

Pipe Bolt Action - .308, .45-70, maybe also .338, 7.62x54mm, and .50 Beo

I wish the pipe weapons get an overhaul too, they are quite silly joke weapons right now. I think the main attraction of these weapons should be how the ammo type can be changed instead of just joke weapons they are right now. They sure still going to be inferior to the proper weapons but at least no longer that silly.

Pipe Pistol/SMG - .32 ACP, 9mm para , 10mm, .45 ACP, .50AE (I think this cannot be used with full auto mod?)

Pipe Rifle (this should be entirely split from the pipe pistol)- 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 7.92mm kurz, maybe if added 5.45mm and 5.8mm

There's a Pipe Weapons Overhaul,by The6thMessenger already on the Nexus. And they'll be able to carry you from cradle to grave,if you keep on top of 'em.

Back on topic,do we have any full-on machine guns for WARS? I think that's a niche that FO4 has left woefully empty. I mean,that Totally-Not-A-Lewis-Mk.-II is TECHNICALLY a machine gun,but it handles like a submachine gun... Shouldn't a machine gun hit like a freight train,be accurate at range,and hold lots of bullets,but kick like a mule,weigh half a tonne,and have poor general handling characteristics? The Totally-Not-A-Lewis-Mk.-II,besides the weight,is the precise opposite of that.

ehhhh... I disagree like with a 9mm Volkssturmgewehr if you change the bullet too much you basically have a new gun. Finding a type of gun in a variety of ammo types is one thing but converting a gun you have between most different rounds would basically amount to breaking down the gun for raw materials and building a new gun around a magazine you have on hand that fits the ammo type you are "converting" to.

There are some exceptions of course like a revolver made for .357 can fit and fire .38's but there are not many.

Back on topic,do we have any full-on machine guns for WARS? I think that's a niche that FO4 has left woefully empty. I mean,that Totally-Not-A-Lewis-Mk.-II is TECHNICALLY a machine gun,but it handles like a submachine gun... Shouldn't a machine gun hit like a freight train,be accurate at range,and hold lots of bullets,but kick like a mule,weigh half a tonne,and have poor general handling characteristics? The Totally-Not-A-Lewis-Mk.-II,besides the weight,is the precise opposite of that.

Wouldn't a big heavy water-cooled machine gun handle recoil better due to the inertia a bullet has to overcome?

Right now I'm working on implementing the M79 Grenade Launcher. It's not a straight merge; its available weapon mods will be quite different in WARS. Notably a "Pirate Gun" configuration will be possible. I think I'll use the reflex sight I did for the Glock way back in the early days of working on WARS.

Apart from that I may not go too crazy with the weapon mods on the M79; full stock, sawn stock, full barrel, sawn barrel, plus a reflex sight (which I hadn't really planned on originally, but is apparently part of the Pirate Gun "thing").

Speaking of things I may not go too crazy with; I don't think I'll be adding a bunch of new stuff to the pipe guns; they already seem improbably elaborate as-is.

On ammo types; I don't want to adopt new ones just for the sake of it. They need to feel like they'd be a glaring omission to not be there.

There's a Pipe Weapons Overhaul,by The6thMessenger already on the Nexus. And they'll be able to carry you from cradle to grave,if you keep on top of 'em.

Not at the moment. I've talked before about the difficulties involved in implementing something like an M60, and so has Hitman. A drum-fed LMG like an RPK is more likely, and that will probably end up being available via a patch for an existing AK-platform mod.

The Minigun might be considered a (pretty souped-up) machine-gun, especially once I make it .308 and change its stats.

Not at the moment. I've talked before about the difficulties involved in implementing something like an M60, and so has Hitman. A drum-fed LMG like an RPK is more likely, and that will probably end up being available via a patch for an existing AK-platform mod.

The Minigun might be considered a (pretty souped-up) machine-gun, especially once I make it .308 and change its stats.

A thought what about getting around the reloading animation problems by just giving belt fed weapons the never-ending effect? It would give a very distinct advantage to using a heavy carry weight 5.56, or .308 lmg vs. a lighter magazine fed small arm equivalent set to full auto.

ehhhh... I disagree like with a 9mm Volkssturmgewehr if you change the bullet too much you basically have a new gun. Finding a type of gun in a variety of ammo types is one thing but converting a gun you have between most different rounds would basically amount to breaking down the gun for raw materials and building a new gun around a magazine you have on hand that fits the ammo type you are "converting" to.

There are some exceptions of course like a revolver made for .357 can fit and fire .38's but there are not many.

Wouldn't a big heavy water-cooled machine gun handle recoil better due to the inertia a bullet has to overcome?

Recoil is a cumulative force,and the 7.62mm NATO is actually a very powerful round,much moreso than a 5.56mm NATO. It is my understanding that most machine guns use 7.62mm NATO,or some equivalent; My experience is based on comparison to the FN MAG,or C6 GPMG,if you're in the Canadian Armed Forces. So,yes,while a solid steel gun with hardwood furniture and a water jacket would indeed be a hilariously heavy gun,sustained fire would probably still kick it around far too much to make rock n' roll accurate at any range longer than point-blank,if you're using 7.62mm NATO.

Right now I'm working on implementing the M79 Grenade Launcher. It's not a straight merge; its available weapon mods will be quite different in WARS. Notably a "Pirate Gun" configuration will be possible. I think I'll use the reflex sight I did for the Glock way back in the early days of working on WARS.

Apart from that I may not go too crazy with the weapon mods on the M79; full stock, sawn stock, full barrel, sawn barrel, plus a reflex sight (which I hadn't really planned on originally, but is apparently part of the Pirate Gun "thing").

Speaking of things I may not go too crazy with; I don't think I'll be adding a bunch of new stuff to the pipe guns; they already seem improbably elaborate as-is.

On ammo types; I don't want to adopt new ones just for the sake of it. They need to feel like they'd be a glaring omission to not be there.

Hmm. I prefer drum-fed machine guns,personally. While fiddling with the loading hatch and a belt is nice to look at,it simply isn't feasible for a weapon expected to be used solely by a lone combatant. That,and the animation considerations,though I guess you can cheat the animated belt by putting it in an opaque sleeve; I believe such things exist,as a means to reduce feed-related weapon malfunctions.

As for the minigun? It'd look unfathomably ridiculous,when used by dismounted infantry. Yeah,it's a machine gun,and it'll be worth your attention after WARS is done with it,but... I dunno. I'd like to wrap my mitts around something I can sling to my back,you know? Maybe look into machine guns and LSW's used around the globe. Besides the RPK,I'm pretty sure there's some drum-fed LSW from Singapore that I liked in Far Cry.

A thought what about getting around the reloading animation problems by just giving belt fed weapons the never-ending effect? It would give a very distinct advantage to using a heavy carry weight 5.56, or .308 lmg vs. a lighter magazine fed small arm equivalent set to full auto.

Even if I wasn't explicitly removing FO4's "magical" Legendary effects in WARS, it's no fun without the reload animation. ;)

Hmm. I prefer drum-fed machine guns,personally. While fiddling with the loading hatch and a belt is nice to look at,it simply isn't feasible for a weapon expected to be used solely by a lone combatant. That,and the animation considerations,though I guess you can cheat the animated belt by putting it in an opaque sleeve; I believe such things exist,as a means to reduce feed-related weapon malfunctions.

As for the minigun? It'd look unfathomably ridiculous,when used by dismounted infantry. Yeah,it's a machine gun,and it'll be worth your attention after WARS is done with it,but... I dunno. I'd like to wrap my mitts around something I can sling to my back,you know? Maybe look into machine guns and LSW's used around the globe. Besides the RPK,I'm pretty sure there's some drum-fed LSW from Singapore that I liked in Far Cry.

Oh, I should mention that I'm planning to give the SA80 appropriate parts to be able to turn it into the L86A1 LSW - which has the added bonus of being indisputably lore-friendly for people who care about that. :)

Even if I wasn't explicitly removing FO4's "magical" Legendary effects in WARS, it's no fun without the reload animation. :wink:

Heh no arguing from me that reload animations are cooler but I wouldn't necessarily call never ending on a m60 or minigun magical or at least I wouldn't call "assuming all the compatible ammo a wastelander can realistically carry fits in thier big under-slung belt bag or giant feed drum" any more magical than the miniguns present 3rd person reload animation where you one hand extracting the empty drum, pull a giant heavy loaded drum from your hammer space and slot it into place again manhandling this mass of bullets all with one hand holding it from the handle on the butt end often out of power armor and while running...

And of-course there is balance because big high capacity weapons have long reloads that cancel out the boon of carrying more bullets while stilling penalizing you with weight and higher AP costs. giving the high capacity niche never ending gives a player more of a reason to pause and consider picking one up vs a handy AR in the same caliber.

Anyway that's all I had to say on it I'll respect your decision I just wanted to make my full case.

Even if I wasn't explicitly removing FO4's "magical" Legendary effects in WARS, it's no fun without the reload animation. :wink:

Oh, I should mention that I'm planning to give the SA80 appropriate parts to be able to turn it into the L86A1 LSW - which has the added bonus of being indisputably lore-friendly for people who care about that. :smile:

Found the machine gun I was referencing; It's the Ultimax 100,specifically,the Mk. 3 variant. That said,it uses 5.56mm NATO.

I wonder if magazine-fed machine guns/LSW's exist that take 7.62mm NATO,or equivalent...