[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

yeah consistency is nice, two firearms firing the same caliber round should do about the same amount of dmg give or take a few due to loss in muzzle velocity from shorter barrels. Also bethesda fully derping when full auto magically does less damage than semi...#THATSNOTHOWITWORKS

You do know what game balance is, right? Previous Fallout games had automatic guns dealing less damage than their semi auto counterparts despite using the same ammo for balancing reasons.

Yes, but just because the game designers did it in previous games doesn't mean it's the right approach. What that tells me is that they have been making the same mistake over and over. Which sounds like laziness or madness.

In terms of balancing, the downside of automatic weapons shouldn't be a huge loss in power, but greater recoil and less accuracy.

The weapons in general are way under-powered in the vanilla FO4 game. I've had to double the damage on most weapons in my game. In the case of shotguns and miniguns, I'm close to quadrupling their damage because they're pretty much useless otherwise (unless you use the explosive magical effect, in which case they suddenly become far too overpowered). On top of raising the weapons' damage, I'm using a mod that triples all my damage and quintuples the enemy damage. Suddenly battles become interesting, as opposed to the ludicrous bullet sponging of the vanilla game.

I never said it was the right approach, just that it was done in the name of balance.

I think weapons feel weak in FO4 because of the infinite levelling system where health is multiplied by level, as a result enemies that scale with the player end up having ridiculous amounts of health, as do you, not mentioning the 25% damage penalty on automatic receivers...had to buff it to just 15% damage penalty in my game. I also tweaked my game to remove the level health scaling for everything (you can be the foremost expert in living in the wastes as represented by you being level 100 and beyond, but experience doesn't stop hot lead, or people swinging hard things at you...), nerfed the damage perks to increase damage by 5% up to 20% for the ranged weapon perks, and 5 rank perks ended up increasing damage by 5% per rank up to a max of 25% more damage, with melee, bashing and unarmed damage going up by 10% each rank, up to a max of 50%. Also tweaked stimpaks to no longer heal a percentage of health, returning them to the classic NV values of 5 HP for 6 seconds, also tweaking the medic perk as necessary. Playing on normal difficulty where both I and other NPCs all deal and receive normal damage, fights are much more interesting as the possibility of dying is always real, no matter what level you or they are.

As for legendaries, I don't even bother with explosive effects as I just feel they're way too OP. If I were bothered enough I'd remove legendary drops entirely, opting to use unique uniques instead. Still waiting for an ammo type mod to come in that makes you reload the weapon to change ammo like it did in NV though.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Bottletopman: Yes, these are all good points that you're making. It just shows how poor some of the game mechanics are and how bad Beth is when it comes to balancing. To be honest, I think they've always had these problems. Skyrim had similar issues. The difference was that their previous games broke new ground and so people tended to overlook these problems. FO4, on the other hand, doesn't break new ground (the settlement system could have been something special, except they half-assed it). As a result, if a game doesn't break new ground, then it needs to be a great game in terms of mechanics, story, combat systems, etc. Problem is, FO4 isn't - it's a good game, at times highly enjoyable, but not a great game.

Anyway, I'm going WAY off topic - sorry to high jack the thread, antistar, but I think it demonstrates just how much frustration there is with FO4 and why people are so excited by your projects.

Edited by crawe1x

Do we have a discord ? Seems people in this topic could really use some higher-effectient means to compare notes.

No, I barely even know what Discord is. ;) I'm not really into instant messaging and chat-rooms.

I never said it was the right approach, just that it was done in the name of balance.

I think weapons feel weak in FO4 because of the infinite levelling system where health is multiplied by level, as a result enemies that scale with the player end up having ridiculous amounts of health, as do you, not mentioning the 25% damage penalty on automatic receivers...had to buff it to just 15% damage penalty in my game. I also tweaked my game to remove the level health scaling for everything (you can be the foremost expert in living in the wastes as represented by you being level 100 and beyond, but experience doesn't stop hot lead, or people swinging hard things at you...), nerfed the damage perks to increase damage by 5% up to 20% for the ranged weapon perks, and 5 rank perks ended up increasing damage by 5% per rank up to a max of 25% more damage, with melee, bashing and unarmed damage going up by 10% each rank, up to a max of 50%. Also tweaked stimpaks to no longer heal a percentage of health, returning them to the classic NV values of 5 HP for 6 seconds, also tweaking the medic perk as necessary. Playing on normal difficulty where both I and other NPCs all deal and receive normal damage, fights are much more interesting as the possibility of dying is always real, no matter what level you or they are.

As for legendaries, I don't even bother with explosive effects as I just feel they're way too OP. If I were bothered enough I'd remove legendary drops entirely, opting to use unique uniques instead. Still waiting for an ammo type mod to come in that makes you reload the weapon to change ammo like it did in NV though.

Yeah a lot of this is similar to what I'm doing in WARS, though I'm going to try eliminating damage bonuses to ranged weapons from perks entirely. (So damage bonuses only come from mechanically improving the weapon.) Melee weapons may still get some perk damage bonuses, just nerfed somewhat.

No HP scaling with levels, yep, player and enemies all doing 1x damage, yep.

I am going to remove magical Legendary effects. Apparently isathar has got AmmoTweaks playing the reload animation when you switch ammo types, too. I'm looking forward to that update.

Do we have a discord ? Seems people in this topic could really use some higher-effectient means to compare notes.

No, I barely even know what Discord is. :wink: I'm not really into instant messaging and chat-rooms.

And I thought I was the only one! :wink:

That's right. The cuts in the slide are only there if a ported barrel is attached. Currently that includes the long ported barrel, even though it's not strictly necessary there since the ports are in the protruding part of the barrel. I may change it to not have cuts in the slide in that case - not sure yet; depends how I feel. It's easy to change anyway, since it works via material swaps.

Edit: And to clarify further, there's both a "ported barrel" and a "long ported barrel" (seen above); both prompt the slide to have cuts in it when they're attached.

Edited by antistar

Here's the Barrett M107 in Substance Painter:

- Barrett M107 01

- Barrett M107 02

- Barrett M107 03

- Barrett M107 04

- Barrett M107 05

To recap, this is using Syn's amazing Barrett 50 cal resource, with some changes by me as usual. Minor ones this time; mainly I gave it a front sight post for the flip-up iron-sights as the resource didn't have one, and touched up the textures on the carry handle and .50 BMG rounds. I made the M107A1 Muzzle Brake and QDL Suppressor from scratch myself, though.

Yes, the QDL Suppressor really is that huge. They're actually designed to clamp onto the M107A1 Muzzle Brake. I probably could set it up in-game so that you could only attach the QDL Suppressor if you had that muzzle brake attached, but I don't think I'll bother - to make things simpler for the player.