[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Alright, since I know there won't be a stand-alone version of this mod being a replacement after all.

What would i have to do to preserve the original weapons? Perhaps making duplicates of them?

One of the reasons i ask is because i favor having as many different kinds of weapon as possible plus the mod

Extended weapon mods by Akhanami

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/8276/?tab=3&navtag=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Ffallout4%2Fajax%2Fmodimages%2F%3Fuser%3D0%26id%3D8276%26gid%3D1151

I imagine will not work once WARS comes out and i'd like to keep using it. If i were to make own patch for W.A.R.S what should i study up on so i can make my own?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you still wanted those vanilla weapons in there for the sake of other mods that edit them, it would be better to duplicate the changes I made to them (essentially making the AR-15, Glock, etc into new additions rather than replacers), and then revert the vanilla weapons. In an add-on patch (which is strongly recommended over editing the WARS plugin itself since that would become obsolete as soon as I released an update), this would involve overwriting those vanilla-weapon-related records in WARS with the originals from the base game.

This would all be fairly complicated, so you should look at the documentation for using the CK and FO4Edit if you're not already comfortable using them.

It's also worth mentioning that WARS changes stats and weapon mod behaviour/structure significantly, so a mod like the one you link there that is (presumably) structured similarly to the base game is unlikely to play smoothly alongside WARS without editing it too. It's also conceptually very different to what WARS is trying to do. Different target audiences, I would have thought. ;)

I do plan to write a tutorial on how to adapt a third-party weapon mod to work more smoothly alongside WARS - but that won't be until all the stat changes and whatnot in WARS are more firmly defined.

Here's the Barrett M107 in-game:

- Barrett M107 06

- Barrett M107 07

- Barrett M107 08

- Barrett M107 09

- Barrett M107 10

To recap: This is using Syn's gorgeous Barrett 50 cal resource, with some changes by me as usual. It's the last weapon I'm planning to add for the initial release of WARS (though I do want to add more weapons later on, after release). That means there probably won't be much in the way of screenshots to show for a while, but also that now I'll be moving onto doing all the plugin-related work; stats, distribution, etc - in advance of actually getting this mod released.

As a reminder, WARS is a weapon behaviour overhaul - and to some extent a combat overhaul - not just a weapon pack, so there's a lot of plugin work to do. I'm not sure how long it will all take. I've been looking forward to doing this side of things though, so I'll be working hard on it. ;)

The Barrett looks great.

Yes, I think most of us can appreciate the amount of work involved. In terms of labor and ambition, I think WARS has more in common with major projects such as Sim Settlements rather than just another weapon mod. Very much looking forward to the release, however long it takes.

I'm glad that you're adding a tutorial for adding weapons to WARS, my main thing now is to make the Fallout 3 Assault Rifle mod replace the so called vanilla assault rifle, and have your AR-15 replace the combat rifle. After that, I will be adding the OTs-33 "Pernach" back as I REFUSE to use any other hand guns (Except for a couple others for shits and giggles every once in a while)

Your Glock will do in the meantime, but that OTs-33 MUST be added in. :)

Beautiful Barrett, BTW, I look forward to sniping the T-800's in a mod I'm helping with from a VERY safe distance. ;)

Here's the Barrett M107 in-game:

- Barrett M107 06

- Barrett M107 07

- Barrett M107 08

- Barrett M107 09

- Barrett M107 10

To recap: This is using Syn's gorgeous Barrett 50 cal resource, with some changes by me as usual. It's the last weapon I'm planning to add for the initial release of WARS (though I do want to add more weapons later on, after release). That means there probably won't be much in the way of screenshots to show for a while, but also that now I'll be moving onto doing all the plugin-related work; stats, distribution, etc - in advance of actually getting this mod released.

As a reminder, WARS is a weapon behaviour overhaul - and to some extent a combat overhaul - not just a weapon pack, so there's a lot of plugin work to do. I'm not sure how long it will all take. I've been looking forward to doing this side of things though, so I'll be working hard on it. :wink:

You are glorious Antistar :happy: :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. :)

I'm glad that you're adding a tutorial for adding weapons to WARS, my main thing now is to make the Fallout 3 Assault Rifle mod replace the so called vanilla assault rifle, and have your AR-15 replace the combat rifle. After that, I will be adding the OTs-33 "Pernach" back as I REFUSE to use any other hand guns (Except for a couple others for shits and giggles every once in a while)

Your Glock will do in the meantime, but that OTs-33 MUST be added in. :smile:

Beautiful Barrett, BTW, I look forward to sniping the T-800's in a mod I'm helping with from a VERY safe distance. :wink:

With the way WARS is set up it would probably be considerably easier to add that FO3 Assault Rifle (I.e. G3/CETME/whatever) as a new weapon and then adjust levelled lists to your liking. Have it spawn instead of the AR-15 sometimes, or all the time and have the AR-15 spawn elsewhere - whichever.

Will this mod be compatible with the manufacturing DLC along with the Mods that come with that? (Ex. Producing weapons on an assembly line etc.)

I haven't played any of the FO4 DLC yet - haven't played the game at all since my first playthrough since I'm saving it for when WARS and PEACE are at a certain stage - but I'm looking forward to trying Contraptions as I'm a big fan of Factorio.

What I'm really keen on is the idea of making an ammo factory. Not the "shove some fertiliser into some lead - that's how guns work, right?" stuff from the base game, but more believable ammo crafting; brass casings, primers, gunpowder, etc. A big factory that takes the ammo you don't want at one end and spits out the ammo you do want at the other. I'm hoping AmmoTweaks will incorporate Contraptions-based features like this (AmmoTweaks integration is another thing I'll be doing in this plugin-work stage of WARS development), but if it doesn't I'll have a go at it myself sometime after WARS' initial release.

I hadn't given much thought to producing weapons via Contraptions factories, but the replacer weapons in WARS (AR-15, Glock, Mini-14 and USAS-12) should be spit out by the Weapon Forge without me having to do anything. I'd expect adding support for the new weapons in WARS wouldn't be too difficult, either. I think I'd like it if you had to first find a particular weapon before you could fabricate it, though. Maybe feed it into a machine to reverse-engineer it. I dunno... I'll give it some thought.