[WIP] Weapon Addition and Replacement Suite (WARS)

antistar

Well there's a few reasons. One is that the "Light Fifty" was adopted by the US military, so it fits the American setting quite well. It's also a clear step up from the Makeshift AMR into another tier, since it's semi-auto.

Finally it meant I could use Syn's beautiful resource for it. :wink:

Seems like a good choice to me. Looking forward to unleashing it on unsuspecting behemoths!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the HK416 has been requested before and I think I said the same thing nearly word for word. ;)

And believe it or not, I've thought about both those things (guns kicking up dust and RPG back-blast) before. They're minor points on a long list of things I'd like to see in games but probably won't because (A) they're not part of an established done-to-death formula and (B) they'd be considered harder to sell as a flashy gimmick in a two-minute trailer.

Anyway, the dynamic naming stuff is done for the Glock, AR-15 and Mini-14 now. As advanced warning for anyone who might be bothered by this sort of thing, it's possible to get a weapon named an M16A1 that isn't technically an M16A1 because it (among other things I'm sure) has a flat-top receiver. There's a bit of poetic license since I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and only have a few name variants because the others aren't quite technically correct.

Also it feels like doing the names for the Mini-14 variants shouldn't have taken a couple of hours, but ugh... blame it on the various sources I could find having contradictory information. Broadly speaking though there's Mini-14 (semi-auto) and AC-556 (select-fire), with some suffixes for each.

I've been looking at how I'll deal with the "magical" Legendary effects too. Previously I thought I'd remove the offending effects from circulation and then add in my new ones since it seemed like that'd be easier to deal with on the back-end, but looking at it more, it actually seems like that would be a big mess, for various reasons. So instead I'll edit the existing effects to have different names and do different things. If I can't think of more replacement "reasonable" effects than there are magical effects, I'll probably have to just double up some of the replacements, which would make them more likely to spawn. That's virtually a certainty because hooly-dooly Bethsoft really went to town with the Legendary effects that would only work if literal magic existed in the Fallout universe.

Here are some hopefully more realistic/believable replacement Legendary effects I jotted down in my notes the other day. Feel free to suggest more. :)

- New ranged weapon Legendary effects:
--- Front-heavy - Less recoil, slower to aim.
--- Back-heavy - More recoil, faster to aim.
--- Balanced - Less recoil, faster to aim.
--- Heavy - Less recoil, More melee damage, increased weight, slower to aim.
--- Light - More recoil, less melee damage, decreased weight, faster to aim.
--- Accurised - More accurate.
--- Comfortable - Better aim stability.
--- Custom - Faster reload.
--- ??? - Increased damage.
- New general Legendary effects:
--- Rugged - Higher max durability.

(Note that the descriptions for these will have explicit numerical values rather than vague language like "more", "better", "increased", etc... once I've worked out what those values are.)

Personally, I think we could do away with magical effects altogether.

The big problem with the vanilla game is that Beth puts the 'magical effect' on the weapon rather than the ammo type. So we have explosive rifles as opposed to rifles firing exploding rounds.

Things like Explosive, Irradiated, Incendiary, Plasma Infused, etc. should be handled via the ammo - which I think you already have covered, right? (So many elements to the mod that I can'r remember all the features. :laugh: )

Penetrating could be interpreted as armor-piercing rounds.

Even Two-Shot could be reinterpreted as some sort of fragmenting round.

Crippling and Kneecapper type effects could be automatically added to shotgun shells. It's a unique effect for this type of scattered ammo. This would make shotguns a genuinely useful weapon type - right now they're useless unless you add the Explosive effect, at which point they become way overpowered.

Of course, Never-ending is a lost cause - and good riddance.

Other magical effects are already covered by things like receivers. Powerful and Rapid are examples of this, i.e. Advanced, Heavy, Rapid receivers, Hair Triggers, etc.

Many of your new ranged legendary effects sound good, but even they could be a result of Barrels, Stocks, and other moddable categories.

Good work on the legendary effects. Dont forget there's a big vats&critical mechanic in this game. It is a feature making fallout distinct from other shooter games(that your thought was based on I guess),but still something that should be considered about when rebalancing the whole combat system. Unless WARS aim to make VATS&Crits build significantly weaker. Just my personal opinions.

So think about effects or perks like this "doing more critical damage" "easier to make critical hits(or fills meter faster)" . Some guns just are a little more accurate and handy than others, making you do more overall damage in some ways(for example hitting eyes or peanus more possibly), thats the "scientific" explanation of it.

BTW i ve been tracking this for a time.It is amazing you did almost all the texturing, maybe animating, scripting and overall balancing on your own. After this Xmas im gonna be learning more on making mods. And after I prove to be more skillful, maybe i can share some burdens if needed.

Someone earlier asked about the HK416. Maybe what you could try instead is players could find legendary weapons more of in the form of more advanced variants of the weapons that you're going to feature in the mod. For example, the HK416 would be a legendary weapon. It would basically just be a re-skin of the AR15 but feature higher stats in certain categories such as greater durability and accuracy to reflect how the HK416 is a more advanced variant of the AR15. I believe you're going to implement the AK74M and AKM into WARS so the legendary counterpart could be an AK-12 with higher stats since that the AK-12 is the most advanced and modern variant of the AK platform rifles. The FN FAL's legendary counterpart could be the DSA SA58 OSW. The USAS-12's legendary counterpart could be something like an AA-12. The MP5's legendary counterpart could be a Sig-Sauer MPX. Beretta M9's legendary counterpart could be a Beretta M9A3 or Px4 Storm. Etc etc etc.

Granted, this would mean that you would need to make new textures and models for these legendary guns. You would likely also have to make adjustments to the animations to reflect the legendary guns too. Probably even have to make brand new animations as well. That's the biggest problem that I have with this suggestion. You would have to put in a lot more work into implementing this. It would probably just be better overall to remove legendary effects altogether.