Some Perspective - Please Read

freedom190

19,620,590 x $1 = just short of 20 MILLION DOLLARS. If everyone who downloaded the highest downloaded file I found on nexus for Skyrim donated $1 to the modder, that modder would be rich. Go down the list a few dozen spots and you're still at well over a million downloads. $1 per download and we're still making millionaires dozens of authors into the list.

If there is someone in this world I'd like to see get rich, it's someone who gave me something I love and didn't ask for anything in return.

How would you like it if something you did that helped out a large community made you a millionaire? It would be pretty cool. If would be life-changing. It would seem...right. Some of these people may be currently looking for a job and having a hard time with bills. Some may have relatives with substantial medical obligations that they are helping out with. Some may have just found out they're pregnant with triplets. The fact is, I doubt more than a handful of them are millionaires. Most everyone would love a windfall.

And if we're being honest, are they not deserving of this windfall? Have they not added at least $1 of enrichment into your life?

Most of us dropped $40+ to Bethesda to buy the re-release. A soft drink is almost $2 and lasts ten minutes and isn't healthy, lol.

All I want to make clear is that it literally takes 2 minutes to click donate, set up a paypal account if you don't have one, and send an author $1 from your card. I'd encourage you during the process to consider how much you truly appreciate their mod and increase the donation accordingly. As an additional bonus, you will see more than $1 in benefit simply from finally signing up for paypal and being able to use it moving forward.

The size of this community just grew by leaps and bounds with mod expansion to consoles. The amount of power you hold in your hand by skipping the diet-super-big-swig today is quite significant.

I am not yet a modder, I don't know any modders, I was not solicited to comment as I have above in any way by any modder. Also don't work for paypal.

Just a guy who's thinks the fact something doesn't cost anything doesn't exclude us from showing our appreciation in a monetary, i.e. universal way.

Everyone's got a dollar. Don't be too busy playing someone's mod to take the time to thank them for it.

Well at least you've recognised that mod-authors deserve something for their contributions - even if it's only appreciation.

I've given out 77 endorsements so far (I don't mod my game a lot really) and I endorse everything I consider to be well-executed even if it's not something I end up using myself.

From the other side of the fence, I do find it discouraging that so many people download my stuff without bothering to endorse it or give feedback. Here's a few stats (and I suspect mine are nowhere near the worst):

KS Hairdo's Lite SE PC (Nexus): 27,174 unique d/ls, 1,330 endorsements (4.9%)

KS Lite XB1 (beth): 291,042 d/ls, 157,687 favourites, 1,330 ratings (0.5% / 0.8%)

KS Lite PC (beth.net): 73,612 d/ls, 50,786 favourites, 371 ratings (0.5% / 0.7%)

KS Lite PC (Steam): 8,355 subscribers, 499 favorites, 210 ratings (2.5% / 42%)

So out of 400k+ downloads total, only 0.8% have bothered to rate/endorse KS Lite.

Now, I'm not in this for the recognition - KS Lite was a personal project that Kalilies kindly let me share with the modding community (and all credit rightly belongs with her, Stealthic Khaos and Shocky) - but KS Lite is long past the point where it fulfilled everything I wanted it to do and I get daily requests for support and additions and spin-offs but these things take time and energy and if 99.2% of people that download my mod don't consider it even worth an endorsement, why exactly would I continue?

*Edit* I will say it's important to have perspective though - out of the 3000+ who have rated KS Lite you could equally state that 100% of those people loved it - and 3000 is still a lot of people - I'm grateful to them for their appreciation :smile:

Edited by Brataccas