(Video Tutorial) How to get Skinned Meshes into game

somuchmonsters

The weird thing is that I know both the meshes have the same number of vertices - 1363 for each - but I still get this problem.

What really matters is that the vertex number index is identical. If you reordered the verts between meshes it'll assplode as you can see.

There was a problem I was having in 3DS Max when I tried to copy the skin modifier from the initial mesh to my new, thinner mesh where some vertices weren't anchored right so I had to manually fix them, so I think that might be the cause of the problem.

sounds like you reordered the vertices some how. If the meshes verts were actually identically numbered, in effect a working morph, then skin would have pasted over across meshes perfectly. If you add a morpher modifier to one of the meshes you will easily see if the morph target is intact. If not there is another thread in this forum that has pages of discussion on this, called something like 3ds max tutorial... something like that in the thread title anyway. Read that for several method to get a working morph.

Edited by Ghogiel

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The weird thing is that I know both the meshes have the same number of vertices - 1363 for each - but I still get this problem.

What really matters is that the vertex number index is identical. If you reordered the verts between meshes it'll assplode as you can see.

There was a problem I was having in 3DS Max when I tried to copy the skin modifier from the initial mesh to my new, thinner mesh where some vertices weren't anchored right so I had to manually fix them, so I think that might be the cause of the problem.

sounds like you reordered the vertices some how. If the meshes verts were actually identically numbered, in effect a working morph, then skin would have pasted over across meshes perfectly. If you add a morpher modifier to one of the meshes you will easily see if the morph target is intact. If not there is another thread in this forum that has pages of discussion on this, called something like 3ds max tutorial... something like that in the thread title anyway. Read that for several method to get a working morph.

I used a morpher modifier to see if that would help me figure out which vertices were going hay-wire, but it worked completely fine without any problems in 3DS Max. Still won't work at all in Skyrim though.

• 5 months later...

I like this plugin, it actually solved some skinning issues I was having with clippage while sneaking etc.

I'm in the process of converting vanilla armor to UNP so I tried it on my body1f_0.nif (bandit fur armor) to see what would happen. Everything worked great but somehow the skirt bones got lost in the process.

The skirt bones were useful to me as a kind of mediator between the two thigh bones. The end result is now the skirt moves awkwardly while walking and running. I tried adding skirt bones but they're not on the list.

Was the removal of skirt bones by design or did I do something wrong?

Am I too dependant on skirt bones?

I'm thinking of reskinning with the vanilla version to see if I can get them back, and hoping the old clippage issues don't return. Unless there's a better way. Any thoughts?

----------edit-------------

I added an edit poly modifier and reskinned via skin wrap with the vanilla armor. I chose skin wrap rather than copying and replacing the skin entirely. I just wanted to add the skirt bones and hoped for an acceptable compromise.

Somehow this caused my armor to dislocate forward and down off the body. Reloaded and tried again, same thing. I then hyperventilated and glared at the screen for about ten minutes. That didn't seem to help either. So I moved the armor back in place as best I could and finished off with a bsdismember and exported.

The good news is that the skirt bones are back. The bad news is that now the skirt clips at the pelvis during combat animations. But I think I can fix that. Maybe. :wallbash:

Edited by Ragicka