Upgrade or get a new rig?

Yea, i was browsing a few benchmark reviews, quite a number of them are recommending rx 480 over gtx 1060. Moreover the types of games i play seem to have slightly better performance with the rx 480 in the benchmarks. I'm considering getting rx480 over nvidia now lol. Though i had bad experiences with AMD gfx cards, had to RMA a few.

That is something a lot of people forget, always try to find benchmarks for the games you are playing. Go for the RX480 if it gives you better performance in games you play.

Just don't get one with the reference cooler and you'll be fine.

Edited by Erik005

When browsing YouTube, I stumbled upon a channel named Actually Hardcore Overclocking: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrwObTfqv8u1KO7Fgk-FXHQ

There were some very interesting PCB breakdown videos for various RX 480 models and also some GTX 1060 models, too, it seems (the PCB Analysis playlist). If you are considering maybe buying one, maybe the PCB Analysis playlist would help? The card is hardware, so obviously the actual build and design of the hardware matters. For example there seems to be one RX 480 model around that features a number of poor choices on hardware level (as in, lower quality components and such). If nothing else, at least the videos themselves are entertaining, in a certain way. :P

And yes, definitely buy what you think gives you the best value for your money. This is the Internet, and it is easy to find a person who is biased one way or another. Also, as was mentioned, non-reference cards are usually the better option when it comes to cooling solution and components, although there can be the occasional exception, too (like in the PCB analysis that one RX 480 model seems to be a step in the wrong direction from the reference model). Again, reading up on the various models and using the brain can help, as well as critical thinking - some reviewers out there also seem to be a bit biased, one way or another.

With the RX 480, you have to pay some extra for custom designs. Overall it's usually slightly better value for the money. You won't go wrong with it or the 1060, it will be down to percentage points.

Both 4GB and 8GB versions make sense, the latter version more sense.

One argument in favor of the 1060 is that custom 1060s often feature excellent cooling, same as goes into their 1080 counterparts, but at much lower power draw. Only go for the 6GB version, not the 3GB.

The rest of your rig is reasonably close to perfect, don't mess with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Never get a reference cooler unless your case really really needs one, or like with the GTX titans there is no alternative.

So important it has to be in a different post

would never get a titan unless I could watercool it ... damn hurricane in your room.

And thanks for the nice video :D hadn't seen it so far

My original Titan wasn't that bad in my big tower that stands on the floor it didn't really get hot enough to go full leaf blower and I usually game with a headset, but in the HTPC where it lives now it gets pretty hot and loud. A GT710 usually lives in my HTPC so that is a big difference though. :laugh:

My new ASUS GTX1080 Strix is a lot quieter and it isn't even the quietest 1080.

Edited by Erik005

You know whats even worse then a GPU fan its cpu water coolers, like the i80 and its off like a Jet Engine roaring off for the half a minute its on.

i have a Gigabyte 1060 and the noise is not even relevent, quieter then your average after market gpu cooler.

Also good choice a 1080 after the gtx980ti.

To the first poster a 1070 is a good deal, i almost thought of getting one myself.

Edited by niphilim222

You know whats even worse then a GPU fan its cpu water coolers, like the i80 and its off like a Jet Engine roaring off for the half a minute its on.

Â

i have a Gigabyte 1060 and the noise is not even relevent, quieter then your average after market gpu cooler.

Â

Also good choice a 1080 after the gtx980ti.

Â

To the first poster a 1070 is a good deal, i almost thought of getting one myself.

Never had any probelms with aio cpu coolers... Using the H100i myself. For most of them the stock fans and fan profiles are the probelms.

Switched mine to bequiet silent static pressure ones and also changed the fan profile a bit.

Maybe the h80 could be just a little to small to effectively cool down the cpu while staying quiet. Would personally never go lower then 2x120mm.