Help an idiot, please! [Frame rate issues.]

FinneganFach

Hi folks.

I have to say, in advance of the following, I know nothing about hardware, nothing about graphics, very little about modding. It's safer to assume I know diddly squat, so don't be afraid to state the obvious.

Now then. I just bought a new laptop (this was a lifestyle decision, please don't lecture me on the merits of desktops over laptops!) - even an idiot like me can appreciate it's a reasonably good one.

Specs:

15.6" MSI GT62VR 4K - 022

Laptop Chassis - 15.6" MSI GT62VR 6RE (Dominator Pro 4K )-022UK

15.6" UHD, Anti-Glare (3840*2160) 4K eDP IPS-Level

Intel® Core⢠6th generation i7 Skylale 6820K Quad Core (Features Intel Turbo to 3.6GHz)

NVidia Geforce 8GB GDDR5 GTX 1070, VR Ready

32GB (4X8GB) SO-DIMM DDR4 2133MHz Laptop Memory

512GB ( 256GB X 2) PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD)

1TB (1000GB) SATA 7200RPM Hard Disk Drive

All the reviews had it blowing away leading games with very high FPS rates on ultra settings and, lo and behold, it's even making short work of the awfully optimised Dishonoured 2 atm.

So I got cocky, booted up Fallout, installed the storms mod, the HD water textures, the wasteland enhanced enb and went BRING IT ON!

... 25fps. Tops. Wah, wah, waaaahh. Not quite what I was expecting.

So I have three questions:

1. With my hardware, what sort of frame rate should I be expecting at ultra settings?

2. What resolution / settings should I be aiming for with this hardware?

3. If my expectations AREN'T too high, what are the most likely mistakes I'm making as a newbie that's causing my awful FPS?

A gtx 1070 was definitely not build for 4k (assuming you want more fps then 30-50 in good optimised games and ultra settings). The sweetspot is around 1440p ,atleast in newer titels (some are more demanding some less ... if you go in for some Benchmarks on youtube you can see the 1070 runs pretty good at 4k in games like Rise of The Tomb Raider and drops even under 30 fps in Crysis 3 or Witcher 3).

So... if you play Fallout 4 at 4k with texture mods and at ultra with enb, it's no surprise you don't get 60 fps or even something near it.

Due to the bad optimization of Fallout 4 (at least in my opinion), you can try lowering the settings, turning off AA (not really necessary at 4k), cutting a few points with the shadows and godrays, something like this.

Edited by L3s7ing

I would give it a try at 1440p. Should definitely run better than 4k.

And maybe turn down Godrays... they are demanding as (...) for the little bit of more quality they give.

I'm not completly sure if they fixed it already (think not), but in some cases going from Ultra to Low Godrays could gain 30 fps and more when turning them of.

If you wanna have an comparison google for " Fallout 4: God rays comparison - ultra vs high vs medium vs low vs off ". There should be a good yt Video about it.

I'm not completly sure if they fixed it already (think not), but in some cases going from Ultra to Low Godrays could gain 30 fps and more when turning them of.

If you wanna have an comparison google for " Fallout 4: God rays comparison - ultra vs high vs medium vs low vs off ". There should be a good yt Video about it.

OK cool. What are ambient lighting and ssao? Apparently turning those off help with the enb as well.

But I don't want to turn off so much that there's no point having it in the first place haha.

ssao is a form of ambient occlusion, which makes the image more "real", adding some depth, not exactly sure how to describe it right ^^ English isn't my main language.

Fallout 4 has itself settings for this under the advanced tab. SSAO is the lighter form and HBAO+ the heavy. If you have HBAO+ or SSAO activated in the Launcher you could turn off the enb's ao completely.

With ambient lighting I'm not really sure... something about shaders and shadows I think :sweat: Would have to look it up.

If your resolution was set to 4k, definitely lower it to something more tolerable for your system. I'd also advise you to download the Ultra Quality God Rays Performance Fix mod (it really works wonders and helps you claw back some fps whilst retaining good looking godrays) and possibly lower the shadow distance setting and lower shadow quality (having these at ultra settings can tax even beefy systems)

Good luck.

Using 4K or even 1440p on a 15.6 inch screen is like looking at your kitchen wall through a pair of strong binoculars: it serves no purpose. Use 1080p on such a small screen and you'll be far better off with more or less the same clarity and sharpness of picture.