Choppy oblivion

mclericp

My oblivion runs really choppy during 2-3 person battle etc. Also, when running around, every 2-3 second there is a choppiness in the Framerate

My specs are high enough to run skyrim on Max with 40 FPS, and oblivion i get 60 FPS(default) since my screen is capped to 60hz

Spec:

i7 2.0ghz intel 2600Qm

AMD radeon 6570HD with 1gb

4gb ram

5400rpm HDD Westerndigital

what is the reason of the choppiness? i dont understand

Also, i have 7gb of oblivion mods too, and when exiting oblivion it takes 5min+ to exit to desktop. Without the mods its immediate. However the mods do not affect the choppiness.

Please help, i cant play oblivion like this.

If I recall correctly there was a similar issue recently that turned out to be caused by audio codecs. Your specs say laptop to me (however I have been wrong in assumptions before), but in any case are you using the onboard sound?

- Edit - Here's a couple of links to the recent threads I recalled:

Oblivion lags in combat and Crash after full loading before the main menu

Edited by Striker879

Oblivion also relies heavily on the HDD and your CPU to load things in the background, and those are the weakest parts of your computer. You could try Gamebooster, though I'm not sure it'd help much.

The very long time it takes to quit seems like a bug to me though. I'm not sure the two issues are related. Try Gamebooster and the Streamline mod for Oblivion, and see if it helps the choppiness.

As for the long quit times, try entering your Task Manager after you save the game and quit by ending the Oblivion.exe process. It should only take a second that way.

Edited by Rennn

it has nothing to do with my HDD and CPU Rennn, as both do not seem to be the problem.

@striker789, i m using onboard sound, so maybe

But i did a testing jus now and i realised the reason why i exit game so dam slow, in fact i cant even exit now(had to task manager) is due to MODS.

I unchecked every single ESP file in OMOD and my game loads and quits like a wind. So i m 100% sure either one or 2 mods are affecting the game. After some snooping, i discovered it was Kvatch rebuilt mod, elsewyr mod, ren's hair only and ren's hair cosmetics that cause the trouble. I m not sure how to solve this troubleshooting, so care if any1 help?

Make sure you're using the latest drivers for your onboard sound, and if you've installed any 'codec paks' you may want to uninstall them while you're troubleshooting to see if they are to blame. Sometimes codecs come with music or movie players, so you may have some installed you didn't realize. Can't be much help on those mods ... I'm a pretty vanilla old guy (outside of BBB and some homegrown mods of mine).

Ahhh... You're running Elsewyr. That caused stutter for me, and it was due to my cpu (which, as you can see below, is better than yours). I know you said that it was part of what was causing the slow exits (and it might be), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also causing much of the stutter. I would be truly surprised if you were able to avoid stutter on that weak of a cpu for gaming.

And yeah, there's no fix that I know of to make Oblivion quit normally (without crashing) when you're running a lot of mods. It seems to just be poor coding.

• 3 weeks later...
Because the problem is related to a mod which has a massive number of files involved, maybe double-check you don't have an antivirus running in "scan on file access" mode - this can normally be disabled for selected files or processes and makes a heck of a difference when a game such as Oblivion is running.