Creation Kit - Today?

barthigi

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be real. I'm sure the CK is ready since months. Beth made the game with it and eventually taking 3rd party software couldn't take much time.

I'm sure we have to wait 'cause steam can't get the steamwork integration right...

well i work with the gamebryo engine which beth used too (a modified version of course) the problem is the gamebryo engine is not very similar to the ck. what happens during development is they make the game using gamebryo then they have to get rid of any traces of copyrightable gamebryo resources and from then on they build the ck purely around the remainder of the game engine. beth used the tools to make the game, what were getting is a program which simulates the tools specifically designed for skyrim. if we got the same program that they used we would be able to completely change the game mechanics ranging from physics to the way the radiant ai works, hell we would be able to edit the way npc's faces intrepret the dialogue (what they say is not true the ck is not what they used, it wouldn't make sense)

wtf are you talking about?

Lets be real. I'm sure the CK is ready since months. Beth made the game with it and eventually taking 3rd party software couldn't take much time.

I'm sure we have to wait 'cause steam can't get the steamwork integration right...

well i work with the gamebryo engine which beth used too (a modified version of course) the problem is the gamebryo engine is not very similar to the ck. what happens during development is they make the game using gamebryo then they have to get rid of any traces of copyrightable gamebryo resources and from then on they build the ck purely around the remainder of the game engine. beth used the tools to make the game, what were getting is a program which simulates the tools specifically designed for skyrim. if we got the same program that they used we would be able to completely change the game mechanics ranging from physics to the way the radiant ai works, hell we would be able to edit the way npc's faces intrepret the dialogue (what they say is not true the ck is not what they used, it wouldn't make sense)

wtf are you talking about?

lol.. I was working on a small book in response to his last 3 posts.. I decided it was wasted time and effort and went and had a cup of coffee. The coffee was time better spent for sure!:biggrin:

I thought about explaining the difference between BGS's in house rapid world building tool, this time dubbed the CK to the gamebryo sdk.. and that if they were trying to hide any traces of gamebryo code they did a shitty job because a monkey can search the exe and find a dozen references to sections of gamebryo code, and how BGS probably have a perpetual license to use the code anyway so trying to hide it would be a waste of time.. but I thought my first response is probably more appropriate.

^ Pretty sure he means SDK access and the ability to recompile the exe, the CK only makes plugins that modifiy game mechanics and systems already in place. easy example of a simple 'hard coded' thing a programer could change really easily : adding new slots for animation sets in F3, you can't added any new animation types without replacing them because all the ones in the list are used, a simple solution would be to just add some new ones to the list, but you can't do that in a plugin, you need to do it in the exe, funny thing is that doesn't even need to have been set up in the exe in the first place lol

BGS are getting better at leaving things open for modders imo. I noticed a bunch of stuff they locked in for Ob, then it appears they kinda understood or someone thought about it and made it more open for F3.. I fully expect the CK to hold the most modding potential yet.

Edited by Ghogiel

I don't think that specifically is addressed by OBSE. What function adds new animation slots? at best I think you script the weapon to override the animations on key presses or some hacky way. Can't see that idea being all that good though.. there is probably a better use of script to simulate that behaviour, but who says it is better than just having an extra slot would just be being silly, even if it isn't buggy. Edited by Ghogiel