Creation Kit - Today?

barthigi

it is.. and isn't. The creation engine thing is half marketing PR. Plenty of Gamebryo code in there.

it is misrepresenting what part of the package BGS used originally, what it actually even is, and what BGS actually have written themselves as far as modifying and deviating from the part of their engine that was once vanilla gamebryo when saying 'Gamebryo spent x amount of money developing the engine Bethesda spent X amount in licensing fees.'

gamebryo, in the sense that BGS uses parts of it, is not a complete engine by any stretch of imagination. what gamebryo was to them is a scene graph, renderer and an animation engine, and that's pretty much it. There is a lot more to a game engine than that.

Yeah "Entirely New Engine" Wich is why its useing Havoks Phisycs And Gambyros Worlds ..... The Creation Engine is a joke its a PR ploy Yes they did add a lot of code themselvs adding on to the engines they have been useing since 2006 whn morrowind came about... personally had been Playing with Gambryo 4 for several months before i saw the first snips of skyrim and new immiadtly that it was useing GameBryo for rendering besides Bethesda has Benn Working With GB for several years now its silly to act like you cant interface with skyrim just because a CK isint out yet my point was there no point to cry about the CK it will be out when its ready... you can easily inyerface with the files with the tes4 editor niftools and plenty of the other tools that have been used to interface with other TES games and Fallout .NIF is the gamebyro models format so if you can use 3DS max then You can get new models Into Skyrim and build

Well BGS was one of netimmerse's earlier customers, they have had it licensed since like 1999. They never really used any updates to their SDK past v2.6. BGS has written a bunch of in house code is what I am saying the point is BGS have written their 'game' engine, those versions of GB just didn't have the world editor or the sample code it now does, GB was not a 'game' engine in the sense people think of game engines

Edited by Ghogiel

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well first off they didint spend millions developing s*** there using the Gamebryo 4.0 and Havok Physics.... GameBryo was used for fallout 3 morrowind and oblivion so give the credit where its due..... Gamebryo spent x amount of money developing the engine Bethesda spent X amount in licensing fees...

I think you should get your facts straight. Skyrim is on an entirely new engine.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/12/12/confirmed-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-will-use-an-entirely-new-engine/

Bethesda Softworks community manager Nick Breckon: http://twitter.com/#!/nickbreckon/status/14015054991069184

It's called The Creation Engine. Which is why they named the mod tools the "Creation Kit", rather than "Construction Set".

You have a warped definition of entirely new.

http://beefjack.com/news/bethesda-skyrim-wasnt-always-going-to-have-a-brand-new-engine/

Re-written is not entirely new, it is an improvement of old.

When you write code for a living you will write out a program or some library files and call it version one. You go back and say hey that was stupid and fix it.. you go back a bit later and say hey this this and this don't make sense now that I did that.. then eventually you've rewritten it entirely, and you call it version 2.0

When you market for a living you take new versions of something and call it brand new.

beginning of the january...

I guess tomorrow they'll post another release date somewhen in March or April..

and when they FINALLY complete it they won't make it free since it cost them so much development time...........

They said "Beginning in January" not Beginning of January".

Edited by Sunnie

Not much news there. Except now there will be more info 'pretty soon' instead of just 'soon'.

I am reminded of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, when Arthur decided to use the guide to look up "Earth".

Arthur: "Oh yes! What's it say? 'Harmless'... Just one word!? 'Harmless'?"

Ford: "Well... it's the old edition. Listen! There are a hundred million stars in the galaxy and not much space in the book! No one knew much about the Earth then, of course!"

Arthur: "Well, I hope you've managed to rectify that a bit."

Ford: "Well, yes, I transmitted a newer entry of to the editor. He had to trim it a bit, but it's still an improvement."

Arthur: "What's it say now?"

Ford: "'Mostly harmless.'"

Noone can predict how long something takes to program. Maybe they just want to make sure it will work for us mere mortals first. A buggy toolset is worse than a late one. Ever tried modding Dragon Age: Origins? Workarounds everywhere, and some bugs we had to accept.

Noone can predict how long something takes to program.

:laugh: It's a little thing called project management. Not only do they 'predict' how long a project will take, they manage it.

I like that idea though. "How long will it take you to complete this subroutine?" "No one can predict these things." - The Yoda school of coding "Always in motion". :teehee:

:laugh: It's a little thing called project management. Not only do they 'predict' how long a project will take, they manage it.

I like that idea though. "How long will it take you to complete this subroutine?" "No one can predict these things." - The Yoda school of coding "Always in motion". :teehee:

I might have said it wrong, but it's hard to predict for certain and I've heard stories of 100-hour weeks before release to maintain the set release dates. Look at Skyrim, it has a lot of bugs and glitches and fixing these broke resistances, which is another bug to fix.

But I'm still a studying game programming at college (I know how difficult finding jobs might be -- even harder in Norway) and I suppose you would know how that work better than me. So I stand corrected.

Edited by GisleAune

I might have said it wrong, but it's hard to predict for certain and I've heard stories of 100-hour weeks before release to maintain the set release dates. Look at Skyrim, it has a lot of bugs and glitches and fixing these broke resistances, which is another bug to fix.

But I'm still a studying game programming at college (I know how difficult finding jobs might be -- even harder in Norway) and I suppose you would know how that work better than me. So I stand corrected.

You are correct in that teams often work 80-120 hour weeks the last 2-4 weeks before a major game release. it is impossible to do anything but try and get close, even with really good project management.