Semi-Transparent textures - NiAlpha settings?

Hoamaii

Hi guys,

I'm trying to port my "Wine and Beer in Tankards" Skyrim mod to SSE and I need a bit of help to try and understand how transparencies are handled in SSE.

My Skyrim textures (saved in DTX1 and DTX5) show fine in game, but SSE's lights have strange effects on my beer or wine semi-transparent textures. When the object is under bright lights, my beverage looks almost solid, and when in dark places, it's almost completely transparent. Which means increasing or decreasing transparency in Photoshop will probably not help.

I've tried setting my NiAlphaProperty to Flag 4845 + threshold 100 - or Flag 4333 + threshold 128 - no noticeable difference.

I'm thinking I should probably try to change the settings of the niAlphaProperty instead but could use some advice with that...

Many thanks in advance, guys :)

I'd be interested to know more about this too. I thought I understood transparency in Oldrim but the way SSE handles it seems to be different. It doesn't help that the SSE CK barely handles it at all.

I have a hunch that the NiAlphaProperty flags relate more to the alpha value set in the BSLightingShaderProperty than to the alpha channel in the diffuse DDS. But that's only a hunch.

That's sometting I was wondering about too and I've been trying to tweak that alpha value a bit to see if it actually made any difference, but couldn't see any in game. Still solid in bright light and almost completely transparent in the shades.

Now I wonder if I shouldn't tweak the environmental map values instead and the Lighting Effects 1 and 2 in the BSLightingShaderProperty. Or it may have to do with some Shader flags that I should add or remove... My trouble is there's obviously a huge difference in the way SSE handles lighting effects and I was hoping someone who had experience with it already could give me some hints.

• 11 months later...

I know this is a year old thread, but I'm bumping it since I'm trying to convert Immersive Soul Gems to SSE for personal use, I seem to have a similar issue to the OP with how light effect these gems. I've searched the web an so far have found only these posts about this issue. Has anyone cracked this nut yet? Thanks and sorry for the necro...

• 3 months later...

Your best bet is to play with the flags settings to get a feel for what they do.

"Enable Blending" is for when you want to have a semi-transparent texture (coloured glass, sheer clothing)

"Enable Testing" is for when you when want it to be solid or invisible. No semi-transparency.

Edited by TheWilloughbian

• 3 years later...

Now im aware this is pretty old of a thread, but im not a modder and im kinda empty on options. Refractive shaders in my game have suddenly "switched off" so to speak. I did install SSE Engine Fixes for the corrupt save fix but i noticed the object refractive shaders switched to solid textures. Any ideas?

The transparency that I have used is in NifSkope under highlight shape in Block List and expand out then go to BSLightingShaderProperty > Block Details > Alpha and you can play with the setting here. 1.00 = solid object but if you go to even .9999 you will have transparency and can go down from there until your about invisible.

All other lighting should act the same from that point.

I think Oldmansbeard is right and you might want to try this and see if it gets you there.

• 2 weeks later...