Zooming in with weapon holstered

mkborgelt13

Hi guys,

There is an annoying "feature" I am trying to turn off.

When I have no weapon equipped, or when the weapon is sheathed, I can press the "aim/block" button (right click or alt), and there is a zoom-in effect. I want to stop this from happening, so you can only zoom in with a scope or binoculars.

I've tried various configurations with 'FOV slider,' 'Jsawyer Ultimate,' and 'Project Nevada.' There is a toggle in JSawyer that disables zoom for ironsights, this is exactly what I want, except the zoom also occurs without any weapon.

I have a feeling it is related to FOV -- I prefer higher FOV of 100.

I'm not even certain how to phrase this problem, and there are quite a lot of mods and discussions about ironsights, but no one really mentions this specific issue.

I'd appreciate any advice, referrals, etc. Even variable names to investigate that are related. There are "fFirstPersonZoomMaxMult" and "fFirstPersonZoomMinMult" which seem related, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks in advance!

I know this mod is trying to achieve the opposite of what you want ... but maybe its configurable stuff will get you close ???

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55923/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D55923&pUp=1

But on a different approach ... I suppose you could set up an actor effect to Disable the right mouse button while no weapon is out.

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php?title=DisableControl

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php?title=IsWeaponOut

I know this mod is trying to achieve the opposite of what you want ... but maybe its configurable stuff will get you close ???

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/55923/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fnewvegas%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D55923&pUp=1

But on a different approach ... I suppose you could set up an actor effect to Disable the right mouse button while no weapon is out.

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php?title=DisableControl

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php?title=IsWeaponOut

Thanks for your response!

I saw that mod, it's funny because the feature he is trying to accomplish I have on accident. In the description he says,

"

Known Bugs :

- Holding block with your weapon holstered makes the view zoom in very slgihtly, and zooming in after this makes it zoom in slower than normal."

This sounds exactly like my problem, except the "holstered zoom" is very exaggerated, it's like having binoculars with your eyes.

I am hoping the problem is related to FOV settings and doesn't require disabling controls while weapon is holstered, but that is a creative solution which sounds very likely to fix this.

It seems there are 3 different FOV settings : World, Player, and Ironsight. I can control World and Player, but only the "Ironsight ratio" with FOV slider mod. Maybe if there is some way to directly modify the Ironsight FOV, I don't know. It's also Iron Sight FOV is only active while a weapon is drawn.

Well If you have to go to the disable rightmouse button route ... not exactly sure why ... but I couldn't get it to work with a ScriptEffectStart/Finish block. And a condition of "IsWeaponOut" for the Actor effect to run. Maybe I was just missing some detail.

But I then did get it working by making a quest ... Start game enabled ... priority 90 ... script process delay of 0.5

And this was the script ...

SCN ZZNoZoomScript
Begin GameMode
If Player.IsWeaponOut == 0
DisableControl 6
Elseif Player.IsWeaponOut == 1
EnableControl 6
endif
endif
End
~~~~~~~~~
But it takes a few for the game to settle loading its quest objectives. And then the downside is no rightmouse button inside menu's with weapons holstered.
Edited by Mktavish

Well If you have to go to the disable rightmouse button route ... not exactly sure why ... but I couldn't get it to work with a ScriptEffectStart/Finish block. And a condition of "IsWeaponOut" for the Actor effect to run. Maybe I was just missing some detail.

But I then did get it working by making a quest ... Start game enabled ... priority 90 ... script process delay of 0.5

And this was the script ...

SCN ZZNoZoomScript
Begin GameMode
DisableControl 6
EnableControl 6
endif
endif
End
~~~~~~~~~
But it takes a few for the game to settle loading its quest objectives. And then the downside is no rightmouse button inside menu's with weapons holstered.

Wow, cool!

I'm not so familiar with the means of making quests, but I am a programmer so I understand what you mean.

What about a "hidden perk" with this script?

I was looking into some stuff with the chem "Steady," and it works by activating and deactivating a perk which has a script attached to it. Or maybe it's the other way around...

But to prevent it from blocking right mouse in menus.... I'm not sure, is there some kind of "mode" that can be used to tell whether you are inside a menu? If so there could be a conditional to check for that.

Or maybe instead of disabling the control, if there is some means to disable the zoom. I know it is done with JSawyer Ultimate.

I'll post any progress on here, thank you for working with me.

Wow, cool!

I'm not so familiar with the means of making quests, but I am a programmer so I understand what you mean.

What about a "hidden perk" with this script?

Well quests are multi functional items in the object tree which do many things ... in this case it is just a script holder and is hidden ... so not much different than a hidden perk , except it is easier to set up.

Scripts require an object/item to hold them ... 1 - certain objects that can become a reference ... 2 - base effects that can be attached to other teitery effects. 3 - Quests which give the most versatility with scripts , and are the most direct means of implementing scripting code. Except Effect scripts do offer an additional avenue to implementation.

Err but Object scripts actually have more begin blocks you can use. So maybe which types are more versatile depends on how you look at it.

I was looking into some stuff with the chem "Steady," and it works by activating and deactivating a perk which has a script attached to it. Or maybe it's the other way around...

Could just make a chem to add an effect script. If it will work that direction ... not sure.

To make a perk with this effect ... you would have to still make the base effect , then attach it to an actor ability , then attach it to a perk.

But to prevent it from blocking right mouse in menus.... I'm not sure, is there some kind of "mode" that can be used to tell whether you are inside a menu? If so there could be a conditional to check for that.

Ya off hand ... I think there is something to do that ... Maybe just run a MenuMode block in the script.

Or maybe instead of disabling the control, if there is some means to disable the zoom. I know it is done with JSawyer Ultimate.

I did some searching to disable or adjust the zoom with the geck before I thought of "DisableControl" ... I couldn't find it , not that it isn't there ... but I bet it was done with another tool.

I'll post any progress on here, thank you for working with me.

No problem ... I have fun sorting out different idea's with the geck ... it has helped me learn so much since I can't think of all the different things to try and do by myself. This is a new one for sure :wink:

Edited by Mktavish

Thanks for the pointers. I'm gonna be out for a few days, should be back Sunday. Do you have this "zoom in" thing in your game, or is it only something with me?

It's a standard feature of both FNV and Fo3 ... although with your FOV set to 100 I guess it is more pronounced ?

Oh OK.... do you know if the feature is called something other than "right-click zoom with weapon holstered?" Other people must have tried to turn this off before.

That's exactly what I was thinking, it is exaggerated by the FOV setting

Hey you weren't suppose to be back till sunday ... LOL ... welcome back :wink:

But ya , I did a test with FOV beyond the default 75 , and it definitely becomes more pronounced (zooming further)

Its handy with Fo3 where there is no iron sites ... but I can see how it is a problem with iron sites ... since then the gun becomes bigger blocking more of the screen. A problem with weapon holstered ?... hmmm , I guess a personal preference kind of thing ?

The xml code I think is what its called , if there is an ability to adjust it independently. Nothing in the geck I can see.

The adjusted script for enabling the right mouse in menu would look like this ...

~~~~~~~~~~~

SCN ZZNoZoomScript
Begin GameMode
DisableControl 6
EnableControl 6
endif
endif

End

Begin MenuMode

EnableControl 6