Advices for Hard-Core Gaming System

why 16gb of RAM? absolutely no need. 8GB of RAM at the moment is more then enough and yea, high profile RAM can cause troubles down the road if you wanna an after market heatsink

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2500K

MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67, Socket-1155

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 580 1536MB PhysX

Windows install HD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 120GB

GPU would be better switched for 560Ti... you'll see GTX580's value drop like a rock in less than a month. 560 won't drop much.

Buy an aftermarket heatsink (Scythe Mugen 2 or 3) and use low-profile DDR3-1333 RAM, 8 GB.

That will save you enough money to sell the 560Ti and get a 7950 or 7970 soon.

my new rig will cost about 2800$

Is that including a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and chair? Better be for the price. Even though Norway is not US, I don't see the above costing 2.8. CPU should be $250, mobo $250, GPU $500, SSD $250, all roughly. RAM, heatsink, etc, another $250, you get $1,500 in components.

if you want a third party heatsink get a NZXT Havik. its the best single tower cooler on the market, and one of the best coolers on the market period. it keeps right up with the Noctua NH-D14, even at high OCs, which is a duel tower heatsink. and the havik is reasonably priced esp considering its performance.

GPU would be better switched for 560Ti... you'll see GTX580's value drop like a rock in less than a month. 560 won't drop much.

Buy an aftermarket heatsink (Scythe Mugen 2 or 3) and use low-profile DDR3-1333 RAM, 8 GB.

That will save you enough money to sell the 560Ti and get a 7950 or 7970 soon.

thanks for input

Is that including a new monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and chair? Better be for the price. Even though Norway is not US, I don't see the above costing 2.8. CPU should be $250, mobo $250, GPU $500, SSD $250, all roughly. RAM, heatsink, etc, another $250, you get $1,500 in components.

yup, new everything

Or, for the GPU, you could wait till 7970 is available, but it will cost a lot at first ($600+ realistically). Still, at least it's not being phased out like GTX580.

Heatsink: Yeah, it's good... if you can find one in Norway. Thermalright Macho HR-02 is another very good heatsink, although may cost slightly more.

I actually just saw they were discontinuing the GTX580 and about to release the 680 which is a remake of the 580.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2211616

They say the 580 price will fall as a rock within the next month, and the performances of this card are huge.

According to these guys, buying a GTX 580 is a bad investment, is it though ?

• 3 weeks later...

Parts will arrive in a couple of weeks:)

Case: Cooler Master HAF X

MB: MSI Z68A-GD65 (Gen3)

CPU: Core i5 2500k

RAM: Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB (they were on sale...)

Graphics card: GeForce GTX 590 3072MB (was on sale aswell)

Sound card: Creative X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion

PSU: Corsair AX 850W (80+ Gold)

Boot drive: 120gb Corsair SSD

Storage drive: 1tb Segate(SATA 3.0)

(scavanging 2 other drives from my old rig)

A few years back Western Digital (hard drive) ...their RAPTOR Drives were (are) rated as some of the top performing drives

out there...

Don't know what their latest ' High End ' Drive is called but a couple of these in RAID array (system config) I'm led to understand give the

best, fastest access times known..!!

RAID is good when you have the Operating System on #1 Drive and all your Games on the #2 Drive increasing performance

When they hit the market RAPTOR HDD were very expensive for the amount of storage you got though...