Your Internet Connection

so i started playing MoH on my Ps3 (please note right now, this is not a discussion on games or consoles, so dont start) and for the first time in any game ive ever played online, i was lagging. horribly. i had played it earlier with no lag, but as of last night i was lagging really bad. thought it might just be the game, so i switched it over to BC2, and i lagged in that game.

normally when i see signs of lag, i can just reboot my PS3 and reboot (unplug/plug) my router and that solves it. so i did, and for 1 game there after i was fine. then it started up again. i was fed up so i gave up. tried again just now and still laggy. the one other time i had experienced lag, it went away by the next night.

so i did a connection test with my Ps3, and the main reason i make this thread is cause idrk what would be a good connection, and i just wanted to compare to others. but my results are:

Signal Strength: fluctuates, but average of 90% id say

Download: 1.6Mbps

Upload: 83.1kbps

i ran the Ps3 test several times and this was one of the scores, however the signal strength never changed....

i ran PC Pitstop on my laptop just to see the difference. also ran the test a couple times, i live in the Northeast and chose the Washington DC server. both are wireless btw.

Signal Strength: 5 bars (according to my laptop)

Download: 13.54Mbps (1692.9KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload: 0.33Mbps (40.1KB/sec transfer rate)

Ping: 94ms

also both of these results i listed were from the same time. i ran both the tests at the same exact time. so obviously my Ps3 for some reason is sucking. it signal is pretty good. ive seen better results with worse signal strength on my Ps3 before. its just so random idk. as i sad, i played MoH fine one day, and now i cant play it at all online. idk. but ya.

what are your results guys? and if you have a Ps3 i would LOVE to see your results from that. im just really frustrated right now. :wallbash:

EDIT: just did another check on Ps3 just for the sake of it (its 3am)

PS3

Signal Strength: 90% (still)

Download: 4.5Mbps

Upload: 408.5Mbps

PC

Signal Strength: 5 bars (still)

Download: 15.41Mbps (1926.0KB/sec Transfer Rate)

Upload: 0.49Mbps (60.9KB/sec Transfer Rate)

Ping: 45ms

so its much much better now for Ps3 (in terms of what it was before). and slightly better on my laptop as well. i can only hope it stays like this. its possible i was just having a bad couple of days, it was just a shock cause i never get hat bad of lag. very very rare. and deff not two nights in a row. i would pop in a game of MoH to see but im tired :P

Edited by hoofhearted4

Well right now we are on slime warner cable, but we are in the process of switching to verizon. ATM upload is .75kb's and download is 900kb's. Which is far below what we pay for... With Verizon I estimate we will get a download of 2.5mb's and upload of 500kb's, perhaps higher. My ping is always good. I never notice it above 50 ironically.

Gotta love Time Warner....(loving Slime Warner lol). My grandma had there supposed 10MB internet and it always was 1MB or 2MB whenever I was over there. The wonders of cable internet...peak hours you get crap, at 3a.m. you get the speed you're actually paying for.

I got DSL with TDS Metrocom. Had a little hiccup yesterday and they sent a tech out, in less than 20 minutes! :woot: He tested my line down in the basement and fixed it. I actually got some free speed out of it ;) My modem was also going to crap, so he gave me a new one, all at no cost :D I was getting 4MB download half 1MB download...now I'm getting 5MB download 1MB upload :D DSL is nice but it's distance based, lucky I live close to a hub or I wouldn't be able to get it at all.

It's guaranteed to always be at that speed, unlike cable. That's one issue with your connection because you only get the advertised speed at non peak hours (peak hours normally 3pm-10pm) Strange that your PS3 doesn't take all of the speed that you have available though.

I dunno myself. Back in my day consoles didn't have Internet connectivity. My PS2 did, but I never used it...depending on each game you had online there was a separate monthly fee for them. There was no PSN and I was not going to pay $15/month to play SOCOM Navy SEALS online.

The random changes in the speed is from you having TWC as your ISP. Cable just sucks that way haha. I guess maybe the PS3 only takes up a certain amount because of the limitations of it's network card, but I'm not entirely sure. Hopefully someone else with a PS3 can shine some more light on this subject :)

Edited by Illiad86

I could register 35Mbps back when i had comcast, at 3:00 in the morning when no one else was drawing from the box at the end of the street. Both on the ps3 and the pc.

Im using compressed dsl now and i hate it. I get 2-5Mbps but never have any lag problems. 1Mbps is all you need to be lag free. That is if your router has a proper DMZ setup so your not jumping. Also if the game your playing has anti-lag rewind, you will encounter troubles if it detects a closed NAT.

I could register 35Mbps back when i had comcast, at 3:00 in the morning when no one else was drawing from the box at the end of the street. Both on the ps3 and the pc.

Im using compressed dsl now and i hate it. I get 2-5Mbps but never have any lag problems. 1Mbps is all you need to be lag free. That is if your router has a proper DMZ setup so your not jumping. Also if the game your playing has anti-lag rewind, you will encounter troubles if it detects a closed NAT.

idk what any of that means rly :P

is your NAT strict or open? A while back when playing MW2 it told me mine was closed..opening fixed so many problems, and not just for the game, but for my overall connection.

If your using a really good expensive router, it will set up a dmz for you. If your router is anything short of that, it will benifit you to set up a Dmz.

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1118/~/how-to-make-a-dmz

anti lag rewind is a game feature that can affect all game players in the lobby of a game that uses it if any of the two combatants has a slow connection.