980 to 980Ti or 1080?

I didn't read through everyone's comments, but I would suggest neither. wait for the 1080ti to come out if you really want to upgrade. otherwise you aren't really jumping that much.

For me the 1080 nearly doubled my 980 performance (something around a boost of 80-90%).

However considering the previous 80ti price tags the 1080ti will also be more extensive than the 1080 or 980ti.

I run both a 1080 & 2X 980 tis

The 980 tis are running smoother than the 1080 but the 1080 is improving with every driver update.

On my rig the 980 ti was 20% faster than the 980 & the 1080 is 20% faster than the 980 it.

To give you a real world idea:

My GTX 980 could run my heavily modded Skyrim at 60fps at 1920 X 1080 resolution. It averaged 42fps at 2560 X 1440.

My GTX 980 ti could run the same game at 60fps at 2560 X 1440. It averaged 44fps at 3440 X 1440.

My GTX 1080 can run the same game at 60fps at 3440 X 1440. The GTX 980 ti is not a good single card solution for 3440 X 1440. The GTX 1080 is.

A GTX 1080 ti will need to be about 30% more powerful than a 1080 for me to get one. That is the kind of power I would need to replace my 2 X 980 tis in my 4k rig. I think it will be 20% more powerful.

We shall see.

Later

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 980ti and will await either the 1080ti or the next gen card before upgrading. (3840x1600 screen and no issues)

A lot of people I know who run SLI rigs and don't see a lot of benefit out of it, especially considering the FPS boost per buck that you receive.

If I had unlimited funds, then I probably would go SLI because why the heck not, but in reality I think I am now going to stick with single cards.

The more we read the murkier it gets. Apparently Nvidia will announce both a 1080Ti and Titan X, either later this month or next:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia-gtx-1080-ti-release-date

In usual Nvidia fashion they're doing whatever is necessary to make sure their Tesla cards aren't much good for gaming, and vice-versa. E.g. the GP102 (Titan X) will have no double precision cores at all etc. And one article claims the 1080Ti may use slower DDR5 memory while the Titan X (and most other 10xx series) will use DDR5X.

It's good to be the king (or even one of two kings in a cartel), but this predatory marketing crap is beyond pathetic imo.

Edited by TheMastersSon

The Titan X is out already, even when not officially lined up with the gaming Series under the GTX Logo, but just as "Titan X". Currently it beats everything out there, but the 1080ti will get pretty close (maybe better with oc). Haven't heard about a second one yet...

However, with nvidia announcing that Volta will probatly come in 2018 and that 2017 they will continue with pascal chips, just a little bit more powerful than the current pascal ones, I'm pretty sure that AMD could take the lead with ther Vega Chips. With dx12 on the rise and no real benefits for nvidia, while amd is rocking that category, I will probatly wait till Volta before doing anyhting to my pc any further. (Volta should bring some really new things, not like pascal...)

So when buying a new gpu in the next month's it's maybe better to support amd and their vega chips (which can according to ces 2017 already beat 1080's without even having real drivers yet).

My bad, must have miss the new Titan X (black or whatever they'll call it) related parts in the first article. The second link cleared things for me, thanks.

Price point of this titan will go nuts... yay

Edited by L3s7ing

From the article:

"At the moment the Pascal-based GTX Titan X only uses a cut-down version of the GP102. The full 30 SM, 3,840 CUDA core silicon is only used in the Quadro P6000 pro-level card, but being able to offer a $1,500 GTX Titan X Black, which takes advantage of all those cores, would do wonders for their bottom line."

Not for ours. :)