Boston...will it ever be optimised?

kiwi047

I use Shadow Boost, that plugin that dynamically changes shadow draw distance to reach a desired fps

Now, it certainly isnt perfect (it increases general performance, but when turning a corner into one of these really bad areas, your fps still drops real low for maybe a second), but it gets the job done as far as Im concerned

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have almost 2000 hours into the game, so i think i have a good idea of where it all goes wrong., and i have to blame Bethesda.

I am no modder, but i do play a heck of a lot of games.. and i am a resonantly experienced mod user.. far as i am concerned.

If one day i can play for 6-18 hours straight without one single crash.. and the next i cant play 20 minutes or shorter before a CTD... while i haven't changed anything about the game. or my pc.. there is only one answer possible.

Bethesda makes good games, usually, and especially the ender scrolls games.. but all their games are a buggy mess, made by a script-kiddo that doesn't know jack s#*!, and isn't interested in fixing its own mess afterwards..

I know i am using a mod that basically eats FPS for breakfast, (War of the commonwealth) but this should be possible with my rig.. (look in my forum profile of you re interested). And as mr Hobo Feral so kindly pointed out... i do it to myself,... but that doesn't explain how i play the game one day with no real problems on 60-ish fps, with 30-ish fps and a few FPS drops down town, and not the next day... while nothing has changed that i am aware off.. and i still get 60ish fps everywhere else but down town Boston... but there its a disaster area... literally.

TBH.. i don't give a rats ass for the story.. if you can call it that... i play this game for the intense fights with the commonwealth mod on highest setting..... I cant play Nuka world because even after a clean re-install the end of the Gauntlet is absolutely unplayable... there is no use playing automatron, because the robots i would create would all crash my game.. still in the workbench, .... IF i would like a clunky robot as a follower in the fist place.. which i do not... because i hate followers...

I also don't use power armor, because i didn't spend several hours creating my character only to stick it in a tin can after woods... I use a ring that somewhat equals the stats of power armor.. so i can use the protection without the hideous suit... I have never used power armor in fallout 3.. not once. and i am not going to start in Fallout 4.

So... all all all,, i think that this game will end up in my cyber junk-yard sooner or later.... and probably takes a first big hit in playing time when Mass Effect Andromeda comes out... I admit.. its not as bad as NV... but its close...

fallout 1 and 2 also take place on the west coast that NV takes place in, the entire fallout series is heavily inspired by "a canticle for leibowitz" and this music video (which is about nuclear war, it's art don't expect it to make sense) it's like, some sort of 80's counterculture sense of humour thing, you can see similar elements in 6 string samurai and buckaroo bonzai...

how would it be if areas in boston were instanced? and gated? I know that a big allure is the open world elements but given that it's such a big issue, would it be possible to instance some sections without totally destroying the value of the area? would it be possible to do so and actually improve on the experience in the areas - giving liberty to redesign the areas since they'd be a little more limited in scope, perhaps even (to some extent) add to the clausterphobia of the ruined inner city? (have a "dungeon" or whatever, that's actually outside as well as inside and you're crawling through the streets but also on top of things, through things, and the like, give a slightly more labyrinthine but also open and vulnerable feeling - like if you're crawling through a tube, there's openings so if someone were taking potshots at you sometimes they might actually hit you through holes in the tube's wall since it's eroded a bunch or whatever) Edited by tartarsauce2