Lookiing for an MMORPG

Deleted472477User

I figure I'm SOL here. I currently play WoW, and I love it, but am looking for something new. I already tried Everquest I and II, Age of Conan, LOTR, Warhammer, Rift, Guild Wars, and Allods. Couldn't get into them.

I don't like Asian MMOs, period. They just don't appeal to me. Usually because they're too cutesy for me.

Shiya is out because I have Windows 7 and their website says they don't support it. Rappelz is out too.

So any suggestions?

Nope, you pretty much did them all at the moment. Atleast any which are worth playing.

League of Legends might be closeish, but I believe that's done by an Asian company. Best advice would be to spend these new free moments you have with yourself in quiet contemplation and inner exploration until you can get over your aversion to cuteness.

It could also be that you're at that point where you really don't want to sink 5 months at 60 hours a week playing a game just to get to the real content of the game. It could be that you're starting to realize that all that time and money spent might be better used on other things, or with real people... Nah!

Nope, you pretty much did them all at the moment. Atleast any which are worth playing.

League of Legends might be closeish, but I believe that's done by an Asian company. Best advice would be to spend these new free moments you have with yourself in quiet contemplation and inner exploration until you can get over your aversion to cuteness.

It could also be that you're at that point where you really don't want to sink 5 months at 60 hours a week playing a game just to get to the real content of the game. It could be that you're starting to realize that all that time and money spent might be better used on other things, or with real people... Nah!

That might be it actually :D

I've heard things about LOL that make me avoid it. I heard the culture there can be very harsh and very newbie unfriendly, and I don't have the time or inclination to have people getting snotty and in my face for newbie mistakes (I work in customer service and get paid for it there at least hehe.)

If the company is Asian, that's fine, I'm just not into cutesy-poo anime graphics. A more realistic style will suit.

The only MMORPG that I think could really suit you is Guild Wars 2. But it isn't released yet, and I'm sure you already know that.

Well, the open beta phase will begin in the near future, when it does be sure to try it, it looks amazing.

Other then that, I don't know. I heard Vindictus is quite good, and maybe Runes of Magic?

I played neither of them, so I can't really give you any more details on that.

have you tried SWTOR? its more solo RPG then MMO. and its really early in its life to cater to MMO pros. but yea.

another one i like is Champions Online. though im not a hardcore player, and ive only gotten to lvl 20 so idk how much content there is at end game or how much a hard core MMOer would like it. but i enjoy it!

Edited by hoofhearted4

have you tried SWTOR? its more solo RPG then MMO. and its really early in its life to cater to MMO pros. but yea.

Uses Origins... So injecting water from the inlet end of a sewage treatment plant directly into your veins is probably better advice.

another one i like is Champions Online. though im not a hardcore player, and ive only gotten to lvl 20 so idk how much content there is at end game or how much a hard core MMOer would like it. but i enjoy it!

Champions Online can be fun, lots of quests and even some things at mid-level. Much more if you buy a membership. But doesn't really have that sort of community or grouping strength. Have something like a level 30ish toon, pretty much soloed the whole time, a dozen or so quests on backlog, and not much challenge once you get combos worked out with your powers. Lost interest after that.

For F2P games, Vindictus or Rusty Hearts is probably good as a filler as long as you don't care about an open world since they can be played casually without feeling left out. For open world, Forsaken World might be something worth looking at. It's the usual "Pay to Win" scheme, but as long as you budget yourself and play smart it's no worse than most other MMOs.

One word for you: Istaria.

It is a decent MMO that suffered a tragic loss of playerbase due to some mismanagement early in its life -formerly under the name Horizons- went through two different replacement owner companies (with the aid of the playerbase itself actually finding people to invest in buying it up and keeping it going at one point). The game has essentially zero PvP, can be soloed for much of it, though there are some parts that are intended for group play. The class structure is different than almost every other game out there - you pick your starting class, then you can learn EVERY other class available, with progressing difficulty leveling as you add more classes and achieve higher levels in them. If you appreciate crafting, there is a massive ingrained crafting system including the purchase of plots of land, layout arrangements and building up the housing and such yourself (or hiring other players to do it for you). The PvE used to be pretty weak in it, but has improved over the past couple years.

Did I also mention you have an alternate option to the regular classes of playing as a dragon? You read that right. Under this choice, you begin as a hatchling, level up and have to complete long well written quest lines to gain adult and ancient status, with the appropriate size increases. Dragons also get the option of special Lair plots that you allow you to carve a cave into some mountainsides and set up with various storage and utility options.

The downside though: the community, while very helpful and welcoming of new players, is small. Small enough that they have exactly three servers - Regular, Roleplay, and Test server. There had been a series of server merges over the past many years because of the population losing interest or becoming upset with some decisions made, but a good portion of the remaining playerbase has been there literally for 8 years and actively enjoys aiding new folks in finding their way and enjoying the game (not necessarily free handouts, but the helping hand to become part of the community).

I personally have let my account lapse due to RL circumstances (and a recent addiction to Mount & Blade), but I cannot recommend the game and the community strongly enough. I quit for several years to play EQ2 and WoW, then went back and was able to fit right back in with old folks I knew as well as many newer ones who were more than happy to have someone else to spend time enjoying the same game with.

One word for you: Istaria.

Looks interesting, but for a game with archaic (2006) graphics they sure are charging an arm and a leg. This is probably something that isn't doing the small player base any favors. Was tempted to give it a try, but free play looked too limiting and a $15 monthly membership fee just seemed silly for only 1 plot and no options to buy others. Just bad pricing for what it is compared to the dozens of other online, subscription games.

And no PvP is often worse than some PvP since while PvP can sometimes bring rather caustic members into the game, it is often the one thing that keeps a game alive. PvP keeps people changing tactics, trying out or buying new equipment/upgrades, gives them something to do other than kill the same monsters over and over again, and encourages people to play often so that they can compete.

The problem is that some games become too reliant on PvP for content, or make all higher level areas open PvP so that players can snipe eachother or disrupt groups while taking on bosses (looking at you L2). In games with open PvP you can even have a sort of anti-community, where the first few months of playing a game are spent trying to avoid everyone else since everyone else will all too happily kill you, steal your stuff, leave you penniless, then laugh at you for not being able to kill off 4 other people who are using equipment 4-5 tiers higher than you... Just because you accidentally spoke in common and let everyone know where you are. So it is really all about a good balance.

But, all this did remind me of a Web Based MMO I used to play that didn't suck.

http://www.forlornonline.com/

If you want an old-school tabletop feel and don't care about graphics, it might be worth a look.

Uses Origins... So injecting water from the inlet end of a sewage treatment plant directly into your veins is probably better advice.

Champions Online can be fun, lots of quests and even some things at mid-level. Much more if you buy a membership. But doesn't really have that sort of community or grouping strength. Have something like a level 30ish toon, pretty much soloed the whole time, a dozen or so quests on backlog, and not much challenge once you get combos worked out with your powers. Lost interest after that.

For F2P games, Vindictus or Rusty Hearts is probably good as a filler as long as you don't care about an open world since they can be played casually without feeling left out. For open world, Forsaken World might be something worth looking at. It's the usual "Pay to Win" scheme, but as long as you budget yourself and play smart it's no worse than most other MMOs.

lol idk. i dont have issues with Origin. its weird. i didnt need Origin to play in the Beta. i wonder why.....but anyways i would download Origin to play SWTOR and BF3 (i dont have a PC atm, so i dont have those games, and hence dont have Origins, but i will, just to play those two games)......(on a completely Off Topic note, is Mass Effect 3 gunna be on Steam or Origin?)

and yea, i enjoyed Champions Online. started before it was F2P, and when i went back, i paid for a month anyways. though now im back to the part i already played since its been moved around a bit....its a fun game. i enjoy making a theme character. i usually get them up to like lvl 10 or so and start a new one...which completely tires me out from the game....but that seems to be what i do with every MMO....try every class for the first bit, then get board from playing the same thing over and over lolol.

ive heard good things about Vindictous. i remember i was interested when it was only trailers, and i never looked into it.

ive heard good things about Vindictous. i remember i was interested when it was only trailers, and i never looked into it.

It's actually a pretty decent action MMO. The down side however is that you end up playing through the same linear maps over and over and over again, often just because some damn item (ice crystals) doesn't ever f'ing drop and you need them to progress the storyline far enough to open the next area or line of quests.

Fun to break things and kill stuff though.