False "save corruption" during gameplay

Ramagast

Don't fixate on number of mods. Start keeping a log of the number of strings your save has as you add mods. Then go from there. Check where it is now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... I don't understand... how in previous builds with LOT MORE mods I had NO problem such this one... and now I do have, with almost the half (in number) mods???

Ah, well, that's the question that neither Tony nor anyone else seems to be able to answer. Some of us think it happened the last time the game was updated, which would kind of render Tony's explanation of it doubtful--I mean, I assume the string limit has been constant since the first release of Oldrim and has never been changed either way. Prior to that last update I had quite a few of the string-heavy mods, and somewhere between 100 and 200 total, and this problem did not occur, had never occurred in my builds either in Oldrim or in SSE. After the update, it did.

I've been away from both the game and this discussion for a while, and it's good to see that we have made some progress, but that one point still remains to be addressed. Something happened around the time of that update that, for me and for others, brought this Bug into being. I'd like to know what.

Lethiel

So I think I may be a bit screwed, I loaded up a fresh game, made a fresh save, and started up that TESVESSE program, and immediately got a range check error. Unable to get past that point, and if I understood right, that's bad. :dry:

So, what's the suggestion - in SSE (which I'm playing)...?

...How to know which mods are "bad" to use and which are not? Can we have examples? I'm not over-doing the mods installation process. I reduced a lot the mods' number which I'm interesting, but still there is problem. And this problem started with SOME NEW MODS I'm using, like Claralux (or others). I'm not saying that Claralux causes the problem, I'm saying that I'm using NEW MODS that I haven't before...

So... if I wonna check and use NEW MODS.. what kind of "categories" should I AVOID to use?

The "Categories" are:

- Patches/bug fixes

- UI interfaces

- Textures/meshes packs (large or small ones)

- Unofficial DLC/quests

- Animations (I'm using 5 animation mods, the very same I always used to have, nothing new)

- City/towns expansions (I'm using A LOT OF THESE mods, a lot! And many new ones! I want to "fill" the empty Skyrim world! COULD BE HERE the problem???)

- NPC/Character overhaul (quite some mods, but nothing I wasn't using before - the same mods)

- Followers (just 4-5 of them)

- Weapons/armors (quite many mods, NOT TOO MANY... but not too few)

- Immersion/gameplay (A LOT MODS in this field, I'm using a lot mods for everything, to give big impact to my experience)

- Sounds/FX (3-4 mods)

...So, what to AVOID or REDUCE numbers (to install LESS) from these "categories"?

I do not think it imakes it doubtful at all. There are specific , verifiable, causes and effects stated that lead to the issues rececently posted. A single mod can cause a problem and be blamed for the same issue when it is not, thus "it used to work" is not a relaible measuring stick. I get that line all the time with computers when I repair them. i firmly believe the string issue accounts for the majority of issues here. that is why the guru users rarely see this issue. they are optimizing freaks that only install what they need for a play thru, and nothing else. they do not have the string issue. it is possible the game was changed and the issue was exasperated, but the game will only change again. I am not willing to wait for Bethesda to address that when they are busy with skryim vr and fallout 4 vr and skyrim switch and so on.

post_offline.pngGothpunk4Christ: the tesv ess files editor only works with original skryim. to test special editon saves, use instead fallrim tools resaver.exe from http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5031/?

LupusHegemonia​: there are no bad mods, not in that sense. its an issue of which mods are essential to your present play thru and the limits. did you take a look at the lists of mods and the their values?

heavily scripted mods use more strings. texture mods use zero. if a mod has no scripts it is usually zero.

- City/towns expansions (I'm using A LOT OF THESE mods, a lot! And many new ones! I want to "fill" the empty Skyrim world! COULD BE HERE the problem???)​ : very possible. you need to test. test a save with then checked off and then test a save with them on. use a fake game to test for this, not your regular save. should be pretty quick.

Immersion/gameplay (A LOT MODS in this field, I'm using a lot mods for everything, to give big impact to my experience)​ -: again very possible, you need to test.

but start by checking where you are now. what is your present string count?

post_offline.pngGothpunk4Christ: the tesv ess files editor only works with original skryim. to test special editon saves, use instead fallrim tools resaver.exe from http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5031/?

Ah, I already was. It only shows a total of 37,871 strings though.

I'm sure I'm understanding all this incorrectly.

LupusHegemonia​: there are no bad mods, not in that sense. its an issue of which mods are essential to your present play thru and the limits. did you take a look at the lists of mods and the their values?

heavily scripted mods use more strings. texture mods use zero. if a mod has no scripts it is usually zero.

- City/towns expansions (I'm using A LOT OF THESE mods, a lot! And many new ones! I want to "fill" the empty Skyrim world! COULD BE HERE the problem???)​ : very possible. you need to test. test a save with then checked off and then test a save with them on. use a fake game to test for this, not your regular save. should be pretty quick.

Immersion/gameplay (A LOT MODS in this field, I'm using a lot mods for everything, to give big impact to my experience)​ -: again very possible, you need to test.

but start by checking where you are now. what is your present string count?

This is where I am, now:

http://imgur.com/Tdiw2QC

Quite large number, but not TOO much high.