ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Is there a character overhaul that does NOT result in neck seams?

SunnyTheCat

The name has it. I've been wanting to play New Vegas for a while. But whenever I install a character overhaul (be it New Vegas Redesigned or Fallout Character Overhaul), I always seem to get neck seams. Some can be nicely covered by necklaces, but some just stick out. So my question is: is there an NPC overhaul / texture combination that results in smooth body / head transition?

in fallout 3, sally, she is from Zeta DLC, when she spawns unannounced in the wasteland, a bug the game has, she spawns with zero neck seams.

I came upon her once at night. Spooky encounter but I was obsessed once to about this problem.

This encounter was made by the game, Sally, is not supposed to be in the world space period. She is meant to remain on the ship, interior world spaces.

But, when spawned into the game exterior ,she had no seams.

you can't destroy the NPC either even if you have kill-able children installed, this spawn is not kill able, she was immune to breakage.

nothing worked, not even console commands. No argo would take place either.

so there is an internal thing that does take place at random by the game engine and not by the plugins.

The engine grabs resources and does this. On the ship though, she most certainly has a neck seam. what ever caused that to occur is the answer every one needs.

Just an observation made.

It's a problem with normals where neck and rest of the body connects. They are actually separated so normals of those edge vertices have separate values. Meaning, they are not averaged. When averaged. it causes the smooth shading.
There's a way to solve that. One can use Blender's Blend4Web, where you can align vertex normals on the neck to match the normal values on the body.

However, that's a very tedious job since it has to be done for each armor in the game and for each vertex manually.

I use FCO3 and a nifty mod called Distributed Necklaces. While seams are still visible (as others have pointed out this is a vanilla engine bug that I've seen cases of in Skyrim), they're much less noticeable and many of the lore-friendly necklace models added to some NPCs randomly via a script make them almost invisible.