Role Playing Pet Peeves

VincentIcarus

Hey, guys, I'm just posting this up to get an idea if any other Skyrim players do strange things in their game to enhance their role playing experience because I think I might be taking the role-playing part of the game a little too seriously. Example: Recently, I've joined the Dark Brotherhood (always a classic faction to join) and whenever I receive a contract to assassinate someone, I go out and find a Gold Ore vein and mine it, smelt down the ore and forge a Gold Necklace for the victim. I also use the console commands to remove a Daedric Arrow (the only arrows I use for assassinations due to overall rarity) from my inventory and my reasoning for that is because while I'm forging a Gold Necklace for my intended victim I place an arrowhead on the medallion as a type of calling card and after I kill the poor guy/girl I place the necklace next to their dead body. Also, if for some reason I'm unable to get close enough to them to use my dagger, I always coat a Daedric Arrow in a special poison that I've made using Human Flesh, Slaughterfish Eggs and Imp Stool. Again, this is the only poison that I use for assassinations. I use other poisons but those are my "Special Blend". So, basically, I was just wanting to know if anyone else did strange things like this to make the game a little more entertaining.

Lol I like that. It's good to see you honoring the DB in such a way.

Not so intricate, but my Dunmer character makes a point of visiting Daedric shrines whenever he's in the area and leaving "gifts" (dead bodies, eyes, flesh, weapons, bones, ect).

Also, climb the 7,000 steps every time, and meditate with Naax. Wish he offered help with more words though...

I give my characters special quirks. one thief character in skyrim took every loose skull he could get his hands on.

my arch mage in Oblivion always took a necromancers robe when he killed them, amounted to like 3000 necrorobes in his closet when he reached arch mage title

my warrior in skyrim is too lazy to run so just spams whirlwind sprint... he's the only character that does it xD

With my cannibal, I search the corpse rather than feed, and console hack 2 human flesh and 1 human heart into my inventory for every feedable corpse... I prefer the idea of saving my dinner for later

nice special blend, i might steal it

Edited by AtlasS

Hey there, Vince...

While I can't play Skyrim at the moment (Steam no likey dial-up), I wouldn't say you need to worry about seeing a psychiatrist just yet. ;)

Truth is, if folks were satisfied with every BGS title to come out "as is", we wouldn't have a thriving modding community cranking all manner of quests, races, weapons, armor, homes, animations and numerous other tweaks & goodies to make playing the game(s) more enjoyable / fulfilling.

Were this a pencil-and-paper RPG and I your game master, I'd say your in-game actions were suitably creepy for a heartless assassin devoting himself to the worship of a "Death Goddess", and reward you experience points and "in-game recognition" accordingly. :yes:

When playing Morrowind or Oblivion, I frequently use the mouse to "nod" or bow my head slightly in recognition / deference to important NPCs or those who call out friendly greetings as I walk by, simply because the game doesn't allow me to interact with them in a more natural manner. When I have a house, I move things around on occasion (redecorate), take a bath (go for a swim), put away my weapons and armor before sleep, collect books and rare bottles of wine, etc. - essentially doing things I would like to do if I actually "lived" there.

So are you taking the game a little too seriously? Naw. So long as you're an equal opportunity roleplayer - investing yourself to the same degree, whatever character you play - and "What happens in-game, stays in-game", I don't think you need to worry about renting a room at the local looney bin anytime soon. :D

Ya, I always do little roleplaying things. One thing I always do with a theif, steal a unique gaurds armour and sheild, from a gaurd in every town. Right off their backs as they sleep :-) If my housemate is sitting at a table when I get home, I sit and eat with him/her. My current character seems to like Alto-Wine, but not so much the mead. I don't own or ride horse, a ranger can walk, and is happy doing it. Besides, how else am I going to hunt. I also NEVER use fast travel, I might buy a ride between major cities, but walking is more fun. BTW I like your assasination rituals, I may have to do something like that if I join the Brotherhood ;-) .

Well, in all reality, I would probably do something like that in real life if I were some kind of assassin and kinda did when I was in the Marine Corps. Before every patrol I would always drink a bottle of Blue Gatorade, disassemble my rifle and clean it really well and I would even clean my rounds. I don't know why but I always like them to look shiny. And if some bad stuff went down when we were out when it was over I would drop to one knee and say a prayer for the fallen (on both sides sometimes). So to me, it adds a bit of realism to the game.

@AtlasS: Be careful with my special blend. It's really potent. If you're a Master Alchemist it can do up to 53 PD (Poison Damage) on impact, 26 PD for 10s and Paralyze for 26s. I can take out an Ancient Dragon on Master in about 3-4 shots. Two if the first shot is a sneak attack.

Edited by VincentIcarus

BStonkus -

Oh, yeah... I forgot that one. :D

I never fast travel either. Not only do you miss out on encounters, but you don't get to enjoy the massive, virtual world around you.The one exception I might make to this in my next Morrowind play through is "Abot's Silt Striders" and "Boats", which now offer real-time, in-game, fully animated means of traveling! :D

When in Oblivion, I either buy a horse or drive these Hush Puppies (shoes) I got on. ;)

@AtlasS: Be careful with my special blend. It's really potent. If you're a Master Alchemist it can do up to 53 PD (Poison Damage) on impact, 26 PD for 10s and Paralyze for 26s. I can take out an Ancient Dragon on Master in about 3-4 shots. Two if the first shot is a sneak attack.

I'll keep that in mind, my warrior does about the same with his dual poachers axes... yes, I bring down dragons and dragon priests at level 38 with dual poachers axes

i create a background & personality for each of my characters and act as he or she would. i try to avoid fast travel, sometimes i'm in a hurry, or i have too much gear and don't feel like dropping 50 weight points of gear for a fight i don't need. i guess each of my characters have their own quarks.

my characters go swimming regularly. they try to eat at least one meal a day & will try to sleep regularly. my thief likes to steal a food item or 3 and eat it as she walks out the door. my spellsword likes to equip her legion medium (i guess it's counted as light in the grand scheme of things) armor even though she has much better light armor. my two-handed swordsman in heavy armor doesn't like to use shouts (that usually turns out bad... damn that markus. lol). my dunmer stealthy melee fighter is a drunkard... i mean a DRUNKARD (sanguine would be proud). my newest character hasn't picked up any quarks yet, only time will tell.

i guess i'm not as much an rp-holic as i thought... i hope.

I think if this thread can tell us anything its that Quirks and role playing are what give RPG games their life.

If you played a RPG game with a blank sheet character from beginning to end, didnt give the character any quirks/opinions/beliefs than your going to complain about lack of immersion.