More Comp Build Stuff

Hello folks!

Ok simply put, I'm lookin for a power supply that will run two Nvidia GRX 460's (though 1 starting), and four 80mm Fans.

I have a simple 350 Watt DiabloTek running my main board.

It turns out, the video card tells the other power supply to turn on.

My budget is $50. I also ask that the supply has decent ratings, too.

Thanks and have a nice day.

well, i would recommend a 600W PSU. it should be more then enough.

here is a well reviewed PSU off of newegg. 80 plus (basic) and modular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

technically over your budget, but comes with a $25 rebate (making it technically on your budget lol) and a $15 promotional card. which im guessing is like a rebate as well lol?

I agree with hoofhearted4 $50 is not enough for a good quality PSU

But his option is very good.

Low quality PSU's and motherboards are the reason most pre-built systems last long

And the annoying habit to put green harddisks in them.

Edited by Erik005

600W PSU is not enough. 600 watts is enough, but you want a PSU that can put out more than that. $50 is not nearly enough budget.

Units sold under the OCZ brand are not very good, in that box you get what used to be considered decent about 5 years ago. It works, but it's not something to load to the max.

I'm afraid the cheapest suitable PSU for your PC on Newegg that I could recommend to a friend is Antec HCG-750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

You can go for Antec EA-750, which is slightly cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051

It's not quite as good, but it's still an Antec unit, delivering decent quality and generally low noise. HCG is well worth the extra $8 however.

If you can't afford a suitable PSU, decide if you really need SLI that much. I struggle to imagine a situation where a single GTX460 would not be enough, if you tune the settings properly. SLI doesn't quite double the performance, it's noisy, and it has its complications.

i would suggest making a budgt of $100 or so. honestly.

however, 600W is enough to power his system. with about 100W overhead according to the power supply watt calc i use.

the only thing i dont like about the power supply i listed is its 12V rails. they are only 25A and there is only two.. i like to see at least 30A or at least like four 12V rails at 25A, or a single 70+A rail. however the Antec one FMod is deff much better.

Edited by hoofhearted4

This one is a little above your budget, there's a $13 promo code though (and btw, these PSUs use the same parts as the modular OCZ PSUs)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182131

my boyfriend has this PSU, so far, it's been fantastic. The fan is very quiet and it's single rail. 550-600W would be plenty for two of those cards. At peak, they use 120W a piece.

I'd just get one 460, not two. Like Fmod said...SLI has it's complications and really doesn't give you the performance boost you expect.

600W PSU is not enough. 600 watts is enough, but you want a PSU that can put out more than that. $50 is not nearly enough budget.

Units sold under the OCZ brand are not very good, in that box you get what used to be considered decent about 5 years ago. It works, but it's not something to load to the max.

I'm afraid the cheapest suitable PSU for your PC on Newegg that I could recommend to a friend is Antec HCG-750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049

You can go for Antec EA-750, which is slightly cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051

It's not quite as good, but it's still an Antec unit, delivering decent quality and generally low noise. HCG is well worth the extra $8 however.

If you can't afford a suitable PSU, decide if you really need SLI that much. I struggle to imagine a situation where a single GTX460 would not be enough, if you tune the settings properly. SLI doesn't quite double the performance, it's noisy, and it has its complications.

This is completely true. Whenever you use a PSU calculator and it tells you that you should use a 600watt PSU for example, its always smart to go at least 50 or even 100 watts above that. This way you can account for your CPU not being choked by lack of power, the PSU will live longer because it will have some breathing room, and you will have some room to expand later on. In my computer running two 6950's in xfire I was told I would need only 850 watts, but to be safe, and give myself room to grow, and keep my components comfy in their power amounts I bought a 950 watt.

Further down the line I plan to buy more HDD's, possibly SSD's, and deffinitely more RAM and this way I leave all the options on the table while still ensuring that I have extra power to spare just in case. Remember that your CPU uses much less power when idling then when under load. So while a low PSU may be good for day to day things, it may not be for gaming. My CPU uses anywhere from 20-60 watts under idle. When gaming or rendering stuff though its power consumption goes up 120+.

This is completely true. Whenever you use a PSU calculator and it tells you that you should use a 600watt PSU for example, its always smart to go at least 50 or even 100 watts above that. This way you can account for your CPU not being choked by lack of power, the PSU will live longer because it will have some breathing room, and you will have some room to expand later on. In my computer running two 6950's in xfire I was told I would need only 850 watts, but to be safe, and give myself room to grow, and keep my components comfy in their power amounts I bought a 950 watt.

Further down the line I plan to buy more HDD's, possibly SSD's, and deffinitely more RAM and this way I leave all the options on the table while still ensuring that I have extra power to spare just in case. Remember that your CPU uses much less power when idling then when under load. So while a low PSU may be good for day to day things, it may not be for gaming. My CPU uses anywhere from 20-60 watts under idle. When gaming or rendering stuff though its power consumption goes up 120+.

the PSU Calc i used for him said 508W, so 600W was over shooting it. lol

the PSU calc i use

i overestimated a little for him even when entering his stats. 2600k CPU, 4 Dimms of RAM, 10k RPM HDD, 4 80mm High performance fans (there is a 25W difference between 4 high perf fans and 4 normal fans. not sure what qualifies as high perf though, but ya)

if hes using a 350W now with just 1 GPU, a second one isnt going to make him need 400W more power. it will need maybe another 150W and a stronger/another 12V rail.

but again, its not really the watts you have to look at. its the Rails. that Antec FMod listed is very good. it had multiple (what was it 3 or 4? idr) 12V rails, which is nice, whereas the one i listed only have two 25A Rails.. there is a huge debate on whats better, multiple low Amp Rails, or one big Amp rail.....the PSU im looking at has a single 70A rail, and is one of the best PSUs ive looked at.

Edited by hoofhearted4

Thank-for your responses guys.

Remember I have a 350w psu powering my mobo and hard drives and a 250w psu powering an Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT and two fans.

The plan was to upgrade to a GTX 460 as well as the secondary power supply, but have the option to SLI two.

The Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 is only a 160 Watt card, with that in mind, I should only need a 400 Watt power supply to power two and some fans. So 50 bucks is the MAX I'm willing to spend.

Thanks guys.

Edited by ChuckFinly