[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

behippo

Guys...can u make a list or write down which mod is really essential to u?(that needs skse)

Cause for my part i miss only one thing and its Dual sheath but i've found a workaround.

Im really interested in your list.

Basically everything from Zhakaron's common mod foundation. Also Skyblivion and Skywind will need it.

Edited by Wowcomix

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did the SKSE team take the first time around? I mean after the release of Oldrim? If it was a very long time then I'd expect no different from it this time, for them it must be like building a whole new game in similitude to skyrim and gran theft auto, it literally is practically rocket science! Or even science to build the first 'beam me up scottie' teleporter, that difficult but this team is able to deal with that and until we get some powerful program that could speed up such a process then that is the way it will be. Yeah I'm ragging on the same lecture, but compared to modern age inventions which often took 50-70 years or even a century, this is rather fast, kids these days expect it by the year or months or minutes because of internet speeds even as the greatest minds took a very long time to make something groundbreaking become reality. As I have exhausted my voice, no I'm not a 'cheerleader' as I do every once in a while check for updates though not expecting any real change save how the community is behaving, I'm back to waiting on the day month or even 2018 when this is released.

FYI, the oldrim version of SKSE does include the sources in the archive. Someone also uploaded that version to github.

I haven't looked at it ... but I have done other sorts of reverse engineering and can easily imagine that someone who wanted to pick this up would discover that figuring out how to tie into the skyrim binary and how to modify its C++ objects would be many many man months or years of effort. I expect that the effort is almost all about playing detective with the skyrim internals and not that much about writing code.

So, unless the SKSE authors announce they're dropping the project or many more months go by, I'd suggest against diving into this.

How long did the SKSE team take the first time around? I mean after the release of Oldrim? If it was a very long time then I'd expect no different from it this time, for them it must be like building a whole new game in similitude to skyrim and gran theft auto, it literally is practically rocket science! Or even science to build the first 'beam me up scottie' teleporter, that difficult but this team is able to deal with that and until we get some powerful program that could speed up such a process then that is the way it will be. Yeah I'm ragging on the same lecture, but compared to modern age inventions which often took 50-70 years or even a century, this is rather fast, kids these days expect it by the year or months or minutes because of internet speeds even as the greatest minds took a very long time to make something groundbreaking become reality. As I have exhausted my voice, no I'm not a 'cheerleader' as I do every once in a while check for updates though not expecting any real change save how the community is behaving, I'm back to waiting on the day month or even 2018 when this is released.

I feel that both of these posts miss the problem.

Something taking a long time to complete is not the same thing as something not being worked on significantly at all for months.

I could be mistaken about this. But, I'm not sure that Behippo was part of the original builds team. If he could pick it up and make good progress (when he was active) so could someone else.

Besides, someone else diving in does not mean that the original team has to or would stop their work.

How long did the SKSE team take the first time around?

It took about two months to get the first build out the door. This was then followed by about three and a half years to reach the current SKSE build, 1.7.3.

The current task isn't the same thing, of course - at the moment they're not piecing together a new extender, they're instead working on porting that entire existing final version over to a heavily altered engine (not altered to the point of FO4, thankfully, but still).

This project is significantly more complex than developing the first release of SKSE was (as there's a lot more functionality in 1.7.3 than there was in that initial build), but on the other hand, it's a lot less complex than building 1.7.3 for Oldrim was (as the existing work means that not everything needs to be re-written from scratch).

Edited by Bomb Bloke

they really should be out sourcing the work that needs to be done since they themselves aren't doing it, which they admit to. If they had come out and said "we're working on it, it's just gonna take a little longer than expected," people wouldn't be having a fit. But they openly admit they're not working on it which is understandably disappointing.

My main concern with this is that the modding community will move on and wont port their mods even if sskse comes out eventually. Gaming communities DO die, it's a natural process. However as players age, they often don't have as much time to learn a new game, how to mod a new game, or they don't want to invest hundreds of dollars on a top of the line system to handle new games. They just want to play the old games they grew up with. It would be a real shame if we miss the boat on this one.

Regardless of all the rhetoric here, nothing constructive is going on. Just a lot of expression of disappointment and motivation, and a lot of people trying to justify their positions over everybody elses. Nothing good is becoming of it.

I could be mistaken about this. But, I'm not sure that Behippo was part of the original builds team. If he could pick it up and make good progress (when he was active) so could someone else.

You are mistaken.

behippo has been there since the beginning of SKSE, and I'm pretty sure was heavily involved in OBSE, FOSE and NVSE before that.

I agree Old Nick - most of the people complaining are just acting like little kids.

I don't believe this topic is still going. The update happened on April 1st. People just cannot get it through their heads this is going to take time. In my mind it is completely disrespectful to say "If you aren't going to work on it give it to someone that will".

READ the pages, quit calling for someone else to do the work and just chill out. I'm sure if some of these people complain enough this will make the team work quicker on it. Perhaps if they stomp their feet and threaten to hold their breath this will make the team work quicker too!

/Sarcasm

It's a game, just a game. Go play something else and read the comments that elucidate the issue. I wish this topic was cleansed of comments and any comment by the SKSE team including behippo or ianpatt could be stickied just by themselves without the 49 pages of "Boo Hoo we can't play SSE without SKSE".

Kudos Old Nick, keep bringing the truth to these youngsters.

;)

I play Skyrim SE just fine with the S.E.P.T.I.M. Load-out while I wait for SKSE64 to come out. I don't understand these people either. The I want it all and I want it now generation just cannot be appeased it seems.

I agree Old Nick - most of the people complaining are just acting like little kids.

I don't believe this topic is still going. The update happened on April 1st. People just cannot get it through their heads this is going to take time. In my mind it is completely disrespectful to say "If you aren't going to work on it give it to someone that will".

READ the pages, quit calling for someone else to do the work and just chill out. I'm sure if some of these people complain enough this will make the team work quicker on it. Perhaps if they stomp their feet and threaten to hold their breath this will make the team work quicker too!

/Sarcasm

It's a game, just a game. Go play something else and read the comments that elucidate the issue. I wish this topic was cleansed of comments and any comment by the SKSE team including behippo or ianpatt could be stickied just by themselves without the 49 pages of "Boo Hoo we can't play SSE without SKSE".

Kudos Old Nick, keep bringing the truth to these youngsters.

:wink:

I think if you tried really hard, you could think of a way to express your opinion without insulting anyone. That's a concept that little kids don't understand, but adults do.