ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

[WIPz] Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE64)

behippo

Here's my draft letter, which I'll be sending to Todd Howard shortly.

May 26th, 2017

Todd Howard

Bethesda Game Studios

1370 Piccard Drive

ROCKVILLE, Maryland 20850

Dear Sir:

RE: Skyrim Special Edition Script Extender

I write on behalf of many players and modders who have enjoyed the original Skyrim for many years, and who hope to enjoy Skyrim Special Edition (“SSE”) just as much.

Sadly, SSE suffers from a major defect. As you will know, a tremendous enhancement to the original Skyrim was provided by the Script Extender (“SKSE”), developed at no cost to players by the Script Extender Team. Here is a description of their mission set out by ____________, the co-founder and lead developer of the project:

“Extending the scripting capabilities of the various open world RPG's from Bethesda Softworks: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim and Fallout 4. Each successive game from Bethesda has integrated functionality from the previous game's Script Extender that modders found useful. Downloaded by millions of users, the script extenders are considered essential modifications for PC installations of these popular games. SKSE downloads for 2015 alone topped 6 million, 3+ years after the game’s introduction.

The Script Extenders are created by reverse engineering the game engines, and adding new capabilities at runtime by injecting code into the game without modifying the executable.”

Unfortunately, gamers and modders are forced to conclude that the Script Extender team has abandoned the project. Mr. ____ last posted a video update on December 28th, 2016 and has been incommunicado since. The team’s official site at silverlock.org states in a brief note dated April 3rd, 2017 that:

“Skyrim Special Edition has been released, and the original SKSE will not work with it. We are creating SKSE64 for the new 64-bit Special Edition. We appreciate your patience while work continues. Currently we don't have a[n] estimated time frame for a beta release of SKSE64."

In a posting on Nexus Forums on March 31st, 2017, another team member, ___________, states:

“I don't really have any good news. A large amount of the core code (papyrus support, scaleform support, etc) is ready, but the layout of most of the game data classes still needs to be verified as unchanged from the 32-bit version. I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few months due to work, and I assume the same is true for _______. Making time estimates for full-time professional engineering projects is very hard, and this is far from that. Again, sorry for getting people's hopes up.”

The “team” appears to not communicate with each other at all. Many months have passed with no SKSE64 on the horizon and no concrete sign that it is forthcoming.

My suggestion is that Bethesda Game Studios assume responsibility for the Script Extender project, ask the existing team for its work-to-date, and release an official Bethesda SSE Script Extender as a paid DLC. I would suggest US $10-$15, a sum that I and many other modders would gladly pay.

One can see from Nexus that Skyrim mods currently number about 52,500 and SSE mods about 6,700. Over the past few months, the pace of new SSE mods has slowed considerably, in part due to the unavailability of a functional Script Extender.

As a purely revenue-generating exercise, an official Bethesda Script Extender for SSE is a win-win for your company. It would cement the status of this game as one of the leading modded video games for years to come. It would continue to generate interest in the Elder Scrolls franchise until the release of Elder Scrolls 6 some years down the road. At $10 to $15 each, a Script Extender for SSE would generate some unanticipated revenue for Bethesda – at minimal development cost. This is so because much of the groundwork has already been done by the existing Script Extender Team.

I hesitate to pull the rug out from under the existing team, but they truly appear to have abandoned SKSE64. Numerous threads and comments have been posted by modders on Reddit and on the Nexus Forums asking for an update on the current status of the Script Extender for SSE. From the team, there is only silence.

I urge Bethesda to quickly develop an official SSE Script Extender, and to release it as a paid expansion no later than the one year anniversary of the original release of SSE, namely on October 28th, 2017.

Yours truly,

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is a very good letter to send in, even though it will do nothing within Bethesda, but one can always hope. I eventually broke down this week and purchased Oldrim Legendary for about $10, but I would rather have it for SSE. If a large amount of SSE users sent in that same letter maybe it would have a bigger effect on Bethesda, I mean they would make bank off of selling it for $10-15.

I feel sorry for those of you who refuse to even plan SE simply because it doesn't have SKSE64 yet.

Plenty of the most popular mods have done workarounds to the lack of SKSE and the game is great.

You can sit here sobbing about the SKSE team not working fast enough to your liking while those of us who know how to enjoy things will play SE with all the awesome mods that have been released already.

Well, Well, Well, Screens are pointless, none of you would witness the detail, however EB64, Way to take the job I was gonna take with exact wording, claps to ya mate!

And aye, my character may have lost her vampirism, however she is evermore deadly as a sole Uchiha, she can still use the various/90% of the Uchiha clam spells, so she's still my sexy blinker, and Serana, hasn't changed at all, no, and the world looks better than ever at much more stability, wow, SKSE64 only for those bits and pieces, 80+ pages for bits and pieces aye, ayy, lmao.....

I might make an OBS Video, I might not, hmm... just know, my SSE, Uses over 8GB VRAM and the world, so breathtaking like my character and Serana respectively, It's a mix between Oldrim and SSE Mods all in one, I even have Ningheim spells on my Uchiha girl, LMAO!

Not a single issue on my end, everything I need that's majorly important, just like AC Unity, the trash b&@*$, why me, the King of Kings, enjoys brilliantly, there's no need to show people with no insight, the elegance created by me, away with all of you and the whole of SKSE64 itself, Cya...

Holy Sh*** what is wrong with this people these days?

Honestly? If I would be Mr. Howard and would recive your letter (even tho I don't think it will be passed to him directly) I would read it and instandly put it in the trash can. Not because your letter is bad itself. But just because it has no impact on anything! Are you really that frustrated that you have to do that?

IF Bethesda really wanted to have all the SKSE hooks in the CK, they would have added it allready. Its not like SKSE implements anything new to the game, it adds hooks to allready exsisting methods and calls, which are hidden for the modding tools. And that is on purpose!!! I think most people forgett this point!

Honestly guys? I don't care if we get SKSE or not. I never played oldrim, bought skyrim Legendary on a 8$ sale, got SSE 1 month later for free and just play that. I have 120 mods* installed, all lined up and bash patched. No crashes so far, pretty immersive and I am still having a lot of fun. That all I have to say about that aspect.

Do yourself a favor and stop getting insane because skse is not here and not ready. I bet 90% of the people complaining about the lack of SKSE for SSE never played SSE or didn't even try to mod it properly.

A good modder can still add a lot of content to the game even when it comes to scripts.

It's not woth 80 pages on a forum.

Cheers

*10 of them are just textures and meshes!

Edited by Malrama

Holy Sh*** what is wrong with this people these days?

Honestly? If I would be Mr. Howard and would recive your letter (even tho I don't think it will be passed to him directly) I would read it and instandly put it in the trash can. Not because your letter is bad itself. But just because it has no impact on anything! Are you really that frustrated that you have to do that?

IF Bethesda really wanted to have all the SKSE hooks in the CK, they would have added it allready. Its not like SKSE implements anything new to the game, it adds hooks to allready exsisting methods and calls, which are hidden for the modding tools. And that is on purpose!!! I think most people forgett this point!

Honestly guys? I don't care if we get SKSE or not. I never played oldrim, bought skyrim Legendary on a 8$ sale, got SSE 1 month later for free and just play that. I have 120 mods* installed, all lined up and bash patched. No crashes so far, pretty immersive and I am still having a lot of fun. That all I have to say about that aspect.

Do yourself a favor and stop getting insane because skse is not here and not ready. I bet 90% of the people complaining about the lack of SKSE for SSE never played SSE or didn't even try to mod it properly.

A good modder can still add a lot of content to the game even when it comes to scripts.

It's not woth 80 pages on a forum.

Cheers

*10 of them are just textures and meshes!

The same goes with you. Never modded extensively oldrim with SKSE to realise what its like and you go on calling people waiting for SKSE64 whinny peoples. You have your fun, and thats great. But here are people who played both extensively and actually SEE and FEEL the difference, please respect that, as you cant witness that difference.

Edited by Genj0

I was oldrim player and 3 of my friends not started to play se because of the skse. I have the se but still i haven't started to play it. Everyday i am checking this topic about the news. I think the same, bethesda should release the official skse because many players wants it but it seems they do not care. Everyone started to play another games while waiting skse.

Is bethesda slowly becomes ubisoft? (worst company about the players and developers communication)