Sudden huge increase in loading times?

Orbisxaxis

Skyrim used to load so fast that I didn't have time to read the loading messages. Now I can use the bathroom, get a snack, watch television for five minutes and still have it loading. This is really weird, because I have 816 gigabytes free on my hardrive, so it's definitely not a problem with space. I also have like, 8 gigs of ram, 8 cores and an incredible graphics card, and Skyrim is still running like hell! Also, I'm running this on windows. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also had a similar issue. I ran an "offline defrag" and there were 12 fragments in my pagefile and 0 free space after my MFT. When it got to the skyrim folder it took forever so I let it run overnight and in the morning my skyrim loads super crazy fast again :) I used Smart Defrag's "boot defrag" for the offline stuff, then a full optimization (with Smart Defrag) when back in windows.

My guess is that some of the skyrim files get fragmented over time. I'd have to assume it's got nothing to do with the pagefile as I've got 24GB ram, so it should be using the pagefile much.

-Jamie M.

That is to be expected if high resolution mods are in play. The reasons are obvious in the raw sheer amount of data to be loaded and directly tied with the machine disk/memory bandwidth more than the amount of memory and devices processing power.

Edit: internal factors can lead to that issue too, like bloating... excess of persistent objects leftover along the play, big inventory... anything which increases the amount of data to be loaded and mainly the sum of them all.

Anyway, should not be anything near the times you reported, of course, I hope you exaggerated a bit :) otherwise this may point to more serious issue or corruption. Consider scanning your disk. This can be done righclicking it and the tools tab, The other advice was already covered by xtinak. One thing more you can do, go to Administrative tools from the Windows Control Panel, from there "Event Viewer", at the new window select "System Log", and search for anything tagged as Error or Critical (you can filter so to prevent the informative lines to show up). This can help finding if something is malfunctioning in the system as whole and maybe identify possible problems unrelated with the game but potentially dangerous before it grows out of control.

Edited by nosisab

Your Hard Drive is at fault than. My Skyrim with several high res mods and add ons doesn't take long to load at all. Run a defrag on both your registry and hard drive and then try it. If it's still taking to long, it's either a Hardware issue or an issue with your Skyrim install.

Core i7 950

12GB of DDR3 RAM

ATI 5850

Western Digital Cavier Black 1 TB 7200 RPM