Graphics Cards and Laptops

Can someone help me out? I've been looking up graphics cards for laptops since my laptop isn't a gaming laptop and I want to upgrade it. I'm mainly a nVidia user so I check out their site and they've got loads of em. But when I tried looking at prices, I couldn't even find sellers. Then my friends told me that for laptops it's more of a chip, and that it's not the same process as a PC. Can someone help me out and explain to me how to (if it's possible) upgrade a laptops graphic card? or somehow use one even if it's not adapted into the laptop.

Can someone help me out and explain to me how to (if it's possible) upgrade a laptops graphic card?

99% of the time

you buy a new laptop.

the other 1% of the time you send the lappy to a certified depot to perform the upgrade

then with the remaining 0% of the time

you install an upgrade chip/card when the lappy was designed to be upgraded

of course you could look into the outboard video card that seems to remain

vaporware

Edited by Fonger

you basically dont upgrade a laptop. the system is built around whats inside. you can sometimes change out the RAM (i did on my laptop, upgrade from 2GB to 4GB) and probably the CPU, but yea. all in all, you dont change the hardware. at least not as easily as you would a desktop.

Most laptops have the graphics chip integrated into the motherboard around 95% of the time. If that's case, it's time for a new laptop.

The 5% that do have upgradable chips are proprietary and have insignificant upgrades, so again, getting a new laptop is a better option.

Chances are if its not a gaming laptop than the aggravation and risks in changing a graphics cards are through the roof. I believe the last video I saw about doing the process required you to remove your laptops keyboard, casing, screen, and most internals. This isn't an easy task on a standard laptop either as all parts probably have used that 'plastic snap on' sort of thing so some prying is required. I would say keep your laptop as a lan party laptop (or use it for school) and maybe buy a desktop. If that is not in the budget just enjoy the laptop you are currently using and don't worry about it. I was trying stuff out with Skyrim today and with games being ported from consoles the difference from ultra to high to medium are not all that big. Few games have a step up from high to ultra like Crysis or Metro. You can adjust your setting the same way games on a console do it so they maintain a nice look. Lowering resolution is optional but can have a great impact on performance. Set you textures to high, reduce distances, medium/lower model detail, low shadows and mostly medium on the rest of the effects. It will still look quite nice :happy: .

my laptop is mad easy to change stuff out. there is a backplate, and you take that off and you have access to the RAM, GPU, CPU, and NIC. and there is a separate compartment for the HDD.

my laptop is mad easy to change stuff out. there is a backplate, and you take that off and you have access to the RAM, GPU, CPU, and NIC. and there is a separate compartment for the HDD.

My laptop is the same way :happy:. I believe the only customizable laptops nowadays are Clevo Chassis based laptops and Alienware laptops (not sure about the smaller sized ones though, I know the 18'' and 17'' are).